Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #21

Well, I am home with my new Maxxis 8008 Load D's. The wheels didn't have any numbers inside them, but the BIG O owner said the wheels can easily handle 15 additional pounds of pressure. I have the sumec rims.

So I am one happy camper, well, I'm not camping yet!
animas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #22

Congrats.

You will tow without worrying about your tires now. I do as well.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animas View Post
Changing tires to Load D from C, do I have to change my rim?
Just bought a Super Lite 5th (8528 IKWS), have the Trail Express Load C in 225/75/15. Going to the Maxxis 8008, same size but in a load D. The C's max inflation is 50psi, while the new tires in Load D call for 65.

So my Sumic 5 bolt wheels (15x6JJ) have 50 psi checked on the trailer sticker on the outside of the trailier. So I am hoping they can handle the higher pressure. I didn't go with Load E's, as I knew that the wheels probably couldn't handle 80psi.

I'm not going to call the dealer, as too much of the info I have received is plain wrong!
Tire Placard on the left front side of your trailer is the TIRE inflation minimum not the wheel inflation rating. The wheel may have a sticker on it or may have the load & Inflation stamped on the rim itself. If not there should be P/N stamped on the rim.
If you don't trust your RV dealer simply ask for the name of the wheel mfg and then contact them with the P/N to get the max load & infl rating of the wheel.
Most RV assemblers use only the minimum needed to pass the DOT requirements so it is is possible that the wheel max rating matches the load & infl max on the Tire Placard.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
The wheels will be fine and would even be fine with the Load range E tires.
I personally would run the 65 psi in the Load D Tires and I am speaking from the experience of having been in the tire business for over twenty five years.

Ashley. Good for you. I however would not be willing to take the responsibility for any future failure of the wheels. The fact that the stuff you sent out of the shop didn't fail right away doesn't mean id didn't or won't fail at some unknown time in the future.

Just don't tell your insurance agent you are passing judgement on part stability. He might not like it.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 01-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
After 11,000 plus miles I just changed out the factory installed Trail Express tires on our 8289WS. Found that three of them had split along the edge, near the rim, and on the inside. They were only nineteen months old. Would not have discovered this had I not taken one off to have a nail hole patched. Upgraded to the "D" rated ST tire. My Sumec wheels are made in China and have the maximum load rating marked on the inside of the rim at 2150 lbs (C rated). I could find nothing that recommended against mounting 65psi tires on these rims. One other thing, although out of warranty, I did appeal to Forest River and they provided a partial compensation to me. I have had a couple of warranty issues and this company has always done the right thing. Couldn't be happier with their produce or with their customer service.

Did you file a complaint with NHTSA? The only way we can hold the tire companies really responsible for improving the quality of their product is if/when NHTSA gets involved. BUT without actionable complaints on file they will take no action (budget cuts).
By Actionable I mean you, the owner provide complete info such as miles, months of use and full DOT serial for each tire. They don't need to know that you were traveling to Grandma's house or other not relevant info but they do need facts.
Letting NHTSA know you ahve pictures of the failure is a definite plus.
I ahve covered the details of NHTSA complaint process on my RVTire Safety blog.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #26

Thanks for the S/N suggestion Tireman. When changing the tires, the Big O tire owner looked and could find nothing indicating tire pressure ratings, on the wheels. I'll go the S/N route. WHeels are Sumac, I believe....
animas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animas View Post
Well, I am home with my new Maxxis 8008 Load D's. The wheels didn't have any numbers inside them, but the BIG O owner said the wheels can easily handle 15 additional pounds of pressure. I have the sumec rims.

So I am one happy camper, well, I'm not camping yet!
Glad things worked out for you. Also glad you changed to bolt in metal valves. That is something many try and save a couple of bucks on but rubber "snap-in" valves (rated at 65 psi MAX) can blow right out of the rim at high pressure.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Ashley. Good for you. I however would not be willing to take the responsibility for any future failure of the wheels. The fact that the stuff you sent out of the shop didn't fail right away doesn't mean id didn't or won't fail at some unknown time in the future.

Just don't tell your insurance agent you are passing judgement on part stability. He might not like it.

Tireman9,
Very glad to see someone came along with your knowledge and expertise that has the ability to set people in their respective place. I yield to your knowledge and wisdom and will refrain from making any further offerings in reference to things that are round, rubber and roll or the steel with which they are mounted and secured to the vehicle or trailer with.
Good luck with your seminars and such. Someone with your people skills should be very well received by those less knowledgeable than you.

Ashley
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Tireman9,
Very glad to see someone came along with your knowledge and expertise that has the ability to set people in their respective place. I yield to your knowledge and wisdom and will refrain from making any further offerings in reference to things that are round, rubber and roll or the steel with which they are mounted and secured to the vehicle or trailer with.
Good luck with your seminars and such. Someone with your people skills should be very well received by those less knowledgeable than you.

Ashley
Very well put....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Very well put....

X2

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #31

I have the 15" Sumec rims as described in this post, with a weight capacity of 2150 lbs. These are the OEM rims that came with my Rockwood 8289WS. You can find these rims advertised online as Lynx rims. What you cannot find is a maximum PSI rating for this rim, either online or via a tire and wheel shop. So, you have to make a choice if you intend to keep these wheels AND upgrade load range short of contacting Sumec (good luck with contacting Sumec by the way). Your 1st choice is to follow the tons of experience you can read on this forum and/or through virtually every tire/wheel shop you contact, and that is the wheels can handle either 65 or 80 PSI. Your second choice is to by a wheel with a known PSI rating as some will recommend as mandatory in matching a tire with a wheel.

After blowing a Trail Express China bomb, I recently mounted the Carlisle Load Range E ST tires with bolt on steel valve stems, and had the tires balanced. I inflated to max tire pressure as recommended for ST tires, in this case 80 PSI. Tires run cool, no trailer sway, no problems.

I'm no tire man, but I have pulled trailers for the past 40 years and have a good working knowledge of tires and loads and I am very researched on this particular Sumec wheel topic. Good luck.
MOJO13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #32

Like MOJO13 I replaced the Trail Express LRC, went to the Maxxis 8008 LRE with steel valve stems, TPMS and balanced. I run them at 80 psi cold, so far so good with a little over 1000 mi. on them. Bought and had them mounted at Discount tire. I did ask the manager at Discount tire about the wheels, he said "shouldn't be a problem". I am following different sites with about the same thread as this concerning Sumec wheels and LRE tires @ 80 psi, have not read about any wheel failures as yet.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #33

I emailed Sumec with pics of all the markings I could find on the wheels, and asked about max tire pressure.

They never responded to either of the two emails I sent. I've had no issues at 65 psi with LRD's and don't expect any but, you'd think they could at least return an email.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #34

If it helps, I run G rated G614,14 ply Goodyear commercial tires on the factory style rims on my 44" work and play at 110psi. They suggest changing the rim but I have had no issues but use high pressure valve stems. the difference in weight rating and tire pressure that a D to an E rated tire is only a couple hundred pounds weight and 10-15psi cold. C to a D is more but wont make a difference anyway.
1990Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #35

I changed my Load Range C Trail Express(China Bombs) to Load Range E Carlisle with 70 psi and try to keep the mph to 60 on hwys.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I changed my Load Range C Trail Express(China Bombs) to Load Range E Carlisle with 70 psi and try to keep the mph to 60 on hwys.
Here is a reference all Carlisle trailer tire users should read and become familiar with.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Here is a reference all Carlisle trailer tire users should read and become familiar with.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

Airdale
Thanks for the post. Very interesting.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #38

This link has been on here before and I actually have it saved as a document.

I thought I read it thoroughly, did I miss something?

I would think it is good info for any brand of tire.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #39

Carlisle always recommends using full sidewall air pressures for their trailer tires.

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Carlisle always recommends using full sidewall air pressures for their trailer tires.

Airdale
So what is that?

I'm running 70 psi and I think the max is 80.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3

Tags
tire, tires