Old 01-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
After 11,000 plus miles I just changed out the factory installed Trail Express tires on our 8289WS. Found that three of them had split along the edge, near the rim, and on the inside. They were only nineteen months old. Would not have discovered this had I not taken one off to have a nail hole patched. Upgraded to the "D" rated ST tire. My Sumec wheels are made in China and have the maximum load rating marked on the inside of the rim at 2150 lbs (C rated). I could find nothing that recommended against mounting 65psi tires on these rims. One other thing, although out of warranty, I did appeal to Forest River and they provided a partial compensation to me. I have had a couple of warranty issues and this company has always done the right thing. Couldn't be happier with their produce or with their customer service.
Exactly the same failure of Trail Express C on my 8289, none blew out, i had a concern about it. I changed them to D GY Marathon and found the tire beads inside were literally crumbling. FR gave me a rebate as they were under the year warranty as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #52

Thank You!

I want to thank all of the participants in this forum who had tire problems and reported their experiences here. Consequently, I replaced all 4 tires on my 3-week-old fiver with GY Marathons, LR D. I'm sorry for those of you who had problems, but grateful that you chose to share! Here's to ya'!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #53

Probably a dumb question, but here goes:
Does replace "C" rated tires with "D" rated tires affect the Forest River bumper to bumper factory warranty?

What are the BEST trailer tires on the market?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Probably a dumb question, but here goes:
Does replace "C" rated tires with "D" rated tires affect the Forest River bumper to bumper factory warranty?

What are the BEST trailer tires on the market?
I don't see why. The LRD is identical in size. Only the load range can be increased and you have to use more air pressure to take advantage of that.

Airdale
Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 AM   #55

The spoke aluminum rims that came on the flagstaff 8524 was delivered with 3 c and 1 d on it....I wanted all the same tires so dealer put d for c but tire was year older...so I am thinking rims are fine for d...I am getting maxxis installed this week and they only make d or higher in the 225 75 R15 .... was interesting as both tires on right side started showing cracking near bead .... one was the tire that was a year older and one the 2 yr 7 month tire....which was dated 2 months before delivery...I have been running a ctp of 50 in the Cs as the 4 tires support around 6600 lbs....7600 lbs when tanks are full....so will run near the same pressure in the new Ds....and use a chalk line to see what kind of surface contact occurs...and see how hot they run on the tpms....I know on truck same tire in front says 60 ctp and rear 80 ctp....front carries around 3800 lbs....rear around 5200 lbs...

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #56

While researching Special Trailer (ST) tires I’ve had conversations with numerous ST tire manufacturers’ representatives. The one at Maxxis is Mr. Shawn Brennan (687-404-6772). Maxxis, like most other ST tire manufacturer’s recommends full sidewall pressures for best results. However, according to Mr. Brennan, Maxxis supports the vehicle manufacturer’s tire pressure recommendations. So when using upgraded sizes you should ask your vehicle manufacturer’s tire representative for recommendations. If you prefer going out on your own, don’t use less air pressure than recommended on the tire placard for tires from the same basic design.

Airdale
Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #57

Reading back over this thread I see that a rim with 2150# of load capacity is standard Original Equipment (OE) with some of the trailers using LRC tires rated at the same load capacity. When a rim is clearly marked with it’s load capacity a PSI rating is not necessary because the load capacity of the rim dictates it’s maximum PSI rating. In other words; Any tire used on that rim can reach the maximum load capacity of the rim with 50 PSI of air pressure. Any cold air pressure greater than 50 psi will over pressurize the rim.

That statement does not rule out using tires with potentially higher load capacities than the rim. It does rule out using more than 50 psi.

Tire and rim maximum load capacities are pre adjusted for the effects of thermal equilibrium which is predictable for all tires/rims under normal conditions.

Airdale
Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #58

I e-mailed Forest River and asked:
"When I replace my "C" rated tires I would like to go with "D" rated, is this OK with the existing rims on my Windjammer? Also would this tire upgrading to a better safer tire affect my factory warranty? "

Here's the response I just got from them today:
I've removed his name for his privacy.

We don't recommend changing your tires to D rated tires. We install C rated tires and we don't recommend changing away from a C tire. If you want specs on what the rims then I would have to put you in contact with Lionshead our supplier for the tires and rims. You can contact them at 574-533-6169.

Warranty Administrator
Rockwood & Flagstaff
Forest River Inc.

Hummmm I didn't get a answer on the factory Warranty question????? Do you think I got this answer because they don't want to admit the tires they put on could be pushing the limit?

I'll probably just stick with C rated, but I will be taking my trailer to some certified scales to find out the exact weight before my final decision. Was thinking about using Maxxis tires, but the above thread says "they only make d or higher in the 225 75 R15 ". Back to square one, on what brand to buy in "C" rated tires.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
I e-mailed Forest River and asked:
"When I replace my "C" rated tires I would like to go with "D" rated, is this OK with the existing rims on my Windjammer? Also would this tire upgrading to a better safer tire affect my factory warranty? "

Here's the response I just got from them today:
I've removed his name for his privacy.

We don't recommend changing your tires to D rated tires. We install C rated tires and we don't recommend changing away from a C tire. If you want specs on what the rims then I would have to put you in contact with Lionshead our supplier for the tires and rims. You can contact them at 574-533-6169.

Warranty Administrator
Rockwood & Flagstaff
Forest River Inc.

Hummmm I didn't get a answer on the factory Warranty question????? Do you think I got this answer because they don't want to admit the tires they put on could be pushing the limit?

I'll probably just stick with C rated, but I will be taking my trailer to some certified scales to find out the exact weight before my final decision. Was thinking about using Maxxis tires, but the above thread says "they only make d or higher in the 225 75 R15 ". Back to square one, on what brand to buy in "C" rated tires.
IMO if they (Forest River) honestly don't know the specs for the rims it would be irresponsible for them to recommend anything other than the OE tire size for replacements. Load range is part of a tire's size.

Airdale
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
IMO if they (Forest River) honestly don't know the specs for the rims it would be irresponsible for them to recommend anything other than the OE tire size for replacements. Load range is part of a tire's size.

Airdale
I'm not a Trailer Tire expert, but I'm learning thanks.

Tags
tire, tires