Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #61

Putting D Tires on C rims is not an issue at all. The only issue is the pressure used. Common Sense should prevail here. Putting better quality heavier tires on the trailer is safer than running near limit tires on the trailer. As far as pressure I run 60 lbs and that seems to work for me and is a little less rough ride inside the trailer with dishes etc.

My tire dealer puts plenty of D tires on the same rating of rims. Snowmobile trailers, landscape trailers, boats. in 40 plus years of service has never seen a rim blow up or fail on its own. Impact by climbing a curb or road hazard yes.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #62

After blowing a trail express LRC, I replaced all 4 tires with load e, on the same rims. I have been running them at 65psi since that is what the dealer recommended for my trailer weight. I have a tpms and after 2 years not any issues at all. The trailer side lable says 50psi, so 65 is lots, and my tires are not underinflated.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
My tire dealer puts plenty of D tires on the same rating of rims. Snowmobile trailers, landscape trailers, boats. in 40 plus years of service has never seen a rim blow up or fail on its own. Impact by climbing a curb or road hazard yes.
I wonder how long he has been dealing in "off shore" manufactured rims?

Airdale
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
After blowing a trail express LRC, I replaced all 4 tires with load e, on the same rims. I have been running them at 65psi since that is what the dealer recommended for my trailer weight. I have a tpms and after 2 years not any issues at all. The trailer side lable says 50psi, so 65 is lots, and my tires are not underinflated.
Please don't take this response personal. Your post above just triggered a red flag that I thought all in this thread should think about.

Tires and rims for RV trailers are normally purchased already assembled from a third party. Like the RV trailer manufacturer the providers of the tire-rim assembly are interested in the bottom line dollar. Part of that assembly is the valve stem. The snap-in valve stem provided with a 50 PSI tire is normally going to have the same PSI value stem.

I strongly recommend the bolt-in, all metal valve stems be installed whenever replacement tires are necessary.

Airdale
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
<SNIP>

I strongly recommend the bolt-in, all metal valve stems be installed whenever replacement tires are necessary.

Airdale
X200!

Do *not* go from load C tires to any higher rating without using metal valve stems. In fact, if you stick with load C tires I would still use metal valve stems (especially if you are using a screw-on TPMS)

Our local tire center is charging me $88.00 to R/I our China Bombs with Goodyear Marathon D's this Friday. I will be very interested to see how he assess the CB's once they are removed!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #66

Today I called Lionshead the supplier for the tires and rims on my Forest River Rockwood Windjammers at 574-533-6169 like Forest River said to do. They said going from "C"' to "D" is not a problem and common on the Sumic rims, but said YOU MUST CHANGE THE VALVE STEMS to run the higher pressure. Airdale and HSVBamaBob are 100% correct saying change valve stems and go with steel bolt in valve stems.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Today I called Lionshead the supplier for the tires and rims on my Forest River Rockwood Windjammers at 574-533-6169 like Forest River said to do. They said going from "C"' to "D" is not a problem and common on the Sumic rims, but said YOU MUST CHANGE THE VALVE STEMS to run the higher pressure. Airdale and HSVBamaBob are 100% correct saying change valve stems and go with steel bolt in valve stems.
Ok, I'll ask.

What are steel bolt valve stems and what do they look like?

And what will happen if I don't have them?

The regular valve stems will blow off or lose pressure?

I don't think I have them on mine and the pressure is holding fine.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #68

The amount of air in the tire determines the load limit....now if a tire is the same size but capable of higher inflation it can carry more weight....if a d 225 75 R 15 vs a c 225 75 R 15 is carrying 2150 lbs...they should be inflated to 50 psi ctp by the maxxis chart
but the d rating can be inflated to 65 psi ctp and carry a few hundred lbs more than the c since c max ctp is for max rating of 2150 pounds....question for me is the d tire and sidewall filled enough not to damage the sidewall and give the proper footprint on the road ....if carrying 2150 pounds @ 50 psi ctp.......which is what the inflation chart calls for anyway, bottom line for me is since tires carry around 1800 pounds each I will chalk line them to see what footprint is doing and keep eye on temps and sidewalls ....for the moment will try 55-60 ctp ....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #69

When my tires were changed, they changed the valve stems as well to metal. My Rims are the HWT Series 6 Americana Aluminum Hi-Spec Series 6 Trailer Wheel - 15" x 6" Rim - 5 on 4-1/2 HWT Tires and Wheels AM22651
they are rated online for 65 psi. When I had the rims off, there is an engraving on the inside that says with a 6 bolt pattern they are good for 80 psi, same rim different bolt pattern. I have LR - E tires but run them with 65 psi not 80, the tires are identical in size as the LR C at 225 - 75R 15, and it's the air that carries the load, the tire is just a container (some weaker than others) . The crappy LR C tires were only good for 50 PSI and have thin sidewalls in comparison to the LR E tires. Running at 65 PSI keeps the tires cool and for my trailer weight more than enough pressure to run safe and efficient fully loaded.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #70

On the issue of tire pressure vs weight loads, here is the Goodyear RV tire inflation charts. http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

If you look at the 225/75R15 tires, it says you can run the LR D at 55 psi for 2270 lbs although the max pressure is 65 psi. I've seen charts for LR E that are similar, and says you can reduce pressure for a lighter load. I have a friend who has LR G on his unit, he replaced his LR E. He runs them at 80 psi even though the max is 110 psi, no problems in the past 3 years and he puts on a lot of miles.

Tags
tire, tires