Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Forest River said they would not honor any warranty issues on the unit. It's a little threatening. I believe the roof has a 12 year warranty so I would lose that warranty too...
How would they ever know you changed out tires ? Most warranty work is done by the dealer, and I'll bet they could give a rat's butt what tires you have on.

On my 5th wheel, the side sticker says I have 225 75 R15 C but to inflate them to 65 PSI. So what would a new owner not knowing much about tires do ? Probably inflate to 65 psi on LR C tires and blow them up ? or change tires to LR Ds to be inflated by the sticker ? Have attached a copy of my trailer side sticker, also sent a copy to the dept of Transport who said they would action it, but in the past 2 years have heard nothing back from anyone, Forest River included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire info.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	69109  

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #82
Site Team

Quote:
Forest River said they would not honor any warranty issues on the unit. It's a little threatening. I believe the roof has a 12 year warranty so I would lose that warranty too...
I would ask the FR person who told you this if they will cover any blowout damage if the Load C tires were properly inflated, weight load below max, and speed within that stated on the tire.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
How would they ever know you changed out tires ? Most warranty work is done by the dealer, and I'll bet they could give a rat's butt what tires you have on.

On my 5th wheel, the side sticker says I have 225 75 R15 C but to inflate them to 65 PSI. So what would a new owner not knowing much about tires do ? Probably inflate to 65 psi on LR C tires and blow them up ? or change tires to LR Ds to be inflated by the sticker ? Have attached a copy of my trailer side sticker, also sent a copy to the dept of Transport who said they would action it, but in the past 2 years have heard nothing back from anyone, Forest River included.

That is extremely interesting. The unit clearly says to inflate to 65psi yet they put "c" tires on it. I wonder if the unit is supposed to have "d" rated tires and someone screwed up.

I agree it is problematic.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #84

Quote:
On my 5th wheel, the side sticker says I have 225 75 R15 C but to inflate them to 65 PSI.
Not aware of any ST225/75R15 tires in LR-C with a 65psi rating.
What do your tires say on the sidewall?

I'd think this was a misprint by FR.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #85

Quote:
I got a 2nd e-mail from another Forest River, Inc Flagstaff/Rockwood Division
Warranty Administrator. Now they say if you change from load rated "C' tire to "D', the factory warranty is void. They also do not suggest any other brand other than what they put on.
This is the (Biggest Bunch of Bull) that has been posted in a LONG time! The CRAP TIRES they SLAP on the units with names like (Trail this and Trail that or Any other Max this or Max that) it is (Impossible) they know what Crap Tire they Slapped on! Goodyear/Maxxis and put this to Rest! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Not aware of any ST225/75R15 tires in LR-C with a 65psi rating.
What do your tires say on the sidewall?

I'd think this was a misprint by FR.

You are correct, it is a misprint of the label by FR, and had I been a new unexperienced owner, I probably would have inflated the 50 psi C rated tires to 65 psi. If I had a wreck, injuries, or loss of life due to the misprinted sticker, it would have been grounds for a law suit for sure. I now have LR E tires that I run at 65 Psi after a blow out with the trail express LR Cs, which at the time were properly inflated to 50 psi as the tire sidewall says.

My son has a Dutchman Denali 32' 5th wheel weighing in at about 11K dry. His side sticker shows it running LR Ds at 65 psi, but his trailer came from the factory with 16" LR Es. For the first year he had the trailer, he ran at 65 PSI until I noticed the discrepancy and told him he better increase his pressure to 80 psi or be prepared for trouble. The quality / safety control in RVs is IMO crap, get them off the line and out the door as quick as possible, nobody checks.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #87

Quote:

You need to send a copy of that certification label to Forest River. They may not be aware of the misinformation printed on it.

In the past few years there have been numerous recalls for incorrect certification labels, not just Forest River. It's a serious safety violation on Forest River's part and I'm sure they will send you a new certification label.

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
That's crazy. I have seen Cs and Ds on the exact same trailer on the sales lot side by side.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
PLUS, several Forest River Models (Wildcat comes to mind) offer D rated Maxxis tires as a OEM option!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #89

Manufacturers of RV trailers MUST follow government guidelines. The trailer’s certification label and tire labeling placard MUST be correct. Tires are considered a safety reporting item and any violations of safety can trigger government recall action.

Here is how tire size for the placard is controlled.

“The tires on each RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling.” (See FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.3).

Airdale

p.s. If the trailer manufacturer offers tire size options and a dealer installs the option it's their responsibility to get and install a new certification label and tire placard before first sale. If the dealer makes the change after the sales transaction they should identify that action by installing an axillary tire information label adjacent to the original tire placard. (I have reference to a tire industry standard for that procedure but it's lengthy).
Old 02-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #90

MUST be .... There have been a least a half dozen stickers posted over the last few years that were incorrect. So obviously they not accurate 100% of the time.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #91

Check-out this list of recalls that someone has compiled and published. The seriousness of improperly identified tires depicted on a vehicle’s certification label cannot be over emphasized.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/tag/rv-recalls/

Please file a complaint. Here is the link.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Airdale
Old 02-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #92

Airdale, the link you have provided is for US residents, Canadian residents must use the Dept of Transport site.

Defect Investigations and Recalls - Transport Canada

As I previously posted, I sent in all the required information, got a reply back from Transport Canada saying it will be actioned, and have yet to hear anything from anyone. (2 years this September) . I have upgraded the tires to LR Es running at 65 psi so the tire information on my sidewall is void anyway, and I don't plan to sell or trade in the near future. It soon won't be an issue, since in another year the sun will have faded the sticker to the point nobody can read it anyway.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #93
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
PLUS, several Forest River Models (Wildcat comes to mind) offer D rated Maxxis tires as a OEM option!
I know Wildcat does offer the Maxxis as an option. The current tire I have on my Wildcat is a Westlake 16" E rated tire that I run at 80psi. They handled pretty good the other day with 40 mph cross winds.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #94

I think tires and safety is important.....along with all this tire info why don t we all just change our driving habits and slow down so we can stop and not damage equipment on our vehicles.....along with educating ourselves about what our equipment requires for long, safe operation....good luck to all....this forum is always a good place to start the education process, but most of it is opinion and unsupported facts, so do your research to support what is said here.....I was advised when the maxxis d tire were installed in place of my c, to keep them about 60 as pressure will increase when in use.....since have a tpms will keep them at a psi that will allow them to increase to 65 psi when traveling....however if sitting for a couple of weeks will bump that pressure up - cover the tires -

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires