Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

China Bomber strikes again

I think that the company that makes Castle Rock tires should be considered a terrorist organization. After I got my 5th wheel (2019 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8529RKBS - brand new from the dealer), I got onto these forums and then found out about the China Bombs. It was too close to my travel schedule to get them replaced, so I got a TPMS system and made sure they were inflated to 80 PSI.

The first thing I noticed was that on the trip from Reno to Las Vegas, on a hot 100+ degree day, the tire pressure was up to 93 PSI. In fact, I think the tire pressure has a lot to do with how hot the road is, and not with how long the tires have been going that day. Up in Wisconsin and Michigan (cooler temps in the low 80s and high 70s) the pressure did not get above 84.

The blowout occurred on I94 in North Dakota near the Montana border. We had just started out (gone about 30 miles or so), when the right rear trailer tire detonated. (see pictures). When it happened I looked down at the TMPS and it was still reading 80 PSI. Three minutes later it went to 0 and alarmed, which tells me the TPMS systems really cannot be trusted for real time alerts. I should mention we were going 65 mph.

Fortunately, I had purchased the Tyron run flat system. I think this system kept the tire from shredding and doing more damage. As it was it just knocked out a few screws from the shroud. I did not see any damage to the slide.

These tires were Castle Rock 10 PR Load Range E 117/112L Radial ST 255/175R15 Speed Rating "L" (75 mph). It was one month from the day we bought the trailer, and we had traveled about 4000 miles.

It appears that the outside of the tire ripped away from the steel belts around the rim in a small section about 8 inches long. The inner side of the tire was not damaged. The tire ripped all the way to the tread. There is a picture but it appears that the tire ripped away from the out rim belt. There was no leaking. It went from 80 PSI to flat in one bang.

Fortunately, we were close to and exit where we went to a super market parking lot and I put the other tire on that side up on my leveling blocks, replaced the tire with the spare, and drove to a dealer to get all new tires.

We only lost about 3 hours, but we still got to our destination in Montana before they closed the office!

Kevin Johnson
2013 Ram 2500 Diesel Truck.
2019 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8529RKBS 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_080542.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	213799   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_110856.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	213800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_110939.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	213801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_110814.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	213802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_110904.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	213803  

Kevin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #2

A TPMS will not detect or prevent a blowout, at least the kind you had. It is there to detect slow leaks so you don't wipe out your tire if you pick up a nail.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

What TPMS do you have? It Should not take 3 minutes to alarm. I have the TST 507 model and anytime I remove the monitor from the tire mine alarms immediately.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #4

I also have the 507, we had a tread separation incident where it alarmed, had DW watch it while I slowed down to look for safe exit from freeway and she was calling out 45,44,43.... basically a pound a second till 0. I had it set to alarm at 45. Also had a blowout where we heard bang and alarm within a second, as in Bang, "what's that", Beep, Beep. "Oh Crap". TPMS, won't leave home without it.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:39 PM   #5

We heard a "noise", and as we looked at each other, the alarm rang immediately....perhaps you have a "limit" set too low???? I too watched the numbers fall, very fast . Pulled over within 1/4 mile and pressure was already in the low 20's.
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #6

TIRES

After 2 complete sets of tires, realigning my axles and 5 blowouts, all totaling over $13,000, I have recently purchased 5 new Goodyear endurance tires. It appears that overloading was the primary cause of my problems. I have a 32' Wildwood. The difference between the dry weight and max weight is the problem. Once propane, water, cooking and eating utensils are added, there's not enough rook for our other necessities including, jacks, hoses, small BBQ, etc.I haven't yet taken the trailer out, but will try it out this month. my fault, or Forest River? Well, I have never experienced anything like this before. And I bought my first TT in 1974!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #7

Had to run Rocks on first trip 1300 miles ... the Goodyear's were already in the garage just no time to get them changed ... they did fine and I will have new tires on next week for trip in Oct ... new Rockwood came with TST installed in Rocks so TST will be moved to new Goodyear's ... looking forward to the Rocks being gone [IMG][/IMG]
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

China Bomber strikes again

If I read you OP correctly, there is nothing unusual about a 80 psi cold tire reading 93 when traveling. Whatever the air temp. Our 82psi cold motor home typically reads 100 psi warm, even at 80 ambient air temp. But perhaps tires are different.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #9

Now we can get trailer tires rated for 88 mph. Don't settle for less. Most trailers come with tires barely rated to carry the load of the empty trailer. Once I upgraded all of my trailer tires to higher speed rating and load ratings, I quit having blowouts. What a relief.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Fla5er

Kevin- a few years ago on the Sawgrass Expressway in south Florida we had a blow out on Chinese made tires. The right front tire had let go, and while I was putting the spare on, I noticed that the right rear tire had a huge bubble on the inside of the sidewall. The ultimate answer was to buy a set of Goodyear G load rated tires: wear like iron and ran cool. A word of warning to other rvers: when we were looking to trade to our Cardinal 3250RL, I looked at the tires before buying: after buying the rv, I looked closer at the tires. They were Goodyear tires, but they were made in China! I learned about the Goodyear Endurance tires through Trailer Life magazine and started a search to find them. The local tire dealer matched the online price and after installation we have put approx. 10K on the tiers with no issues. There are many sets of Goodyear tires out there that are still in service that were made in China. Take a good look at the tires and make sure that they aren't made in China.

We have the Tire Minder Model 77 TPMS on our rig and have good service with them. When I remove the monitor from any of our tires to adjust tire pressure, there is an almost immediate alarm registered. We experienced a right rear tire valve (on our tow vehicle) failure last year in Virginia, in which we were notified immediately with the Tire Minder System. This was an unusual failure, and after we set up camp, I found a tire dealer who then changed out all four tire valaves. I did that as a precaution.

Buyer be aware!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
I also have the 507, we had a tread separation incident where it alarmed, had DW watch it while I slowed down to look for safe exit from freeway and she was calling out 45,44,43.... basically a pound a second till 0. I had it set to alarm at 45. Also had a blowout where we heard bang and alarm within a second, as in Bang, "what's that", Beep, Beep. "Oh Crap". TPMS, won't leave home without it.
Ditto
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Kevin- a few years ago on the Sawgrass Expressway in south Florida we had a blow out on Chinese made tires. The right front tire had let go, and while I was putting the spare on, I noticed that the right rear tire had a huge bubble on the inside of the sidewall. The ultimate answer was to buy a set of Goodyear G load rated tires: wear like iron and ran cool. A word of warning to other rvers: when we were looking to trade to our Cardinal 3250RL, I looked at the tires before buying: after buying the rv, I looked closer at the tires. They were Goodyear tires, but they were made in China! I learned about the Goodyear Endurance tires through Trailer Life magazine and started a search to find them. The local tire dealer matched the online price and after installation we have put approx. 10K on the tiers with no issues. There are many sets of Goodyear tires out there that are still in service that were made in China. Take a good look at the tires and make sure that they aren't made in China.

We have the Tire Minder Model 77 TPMS on our rig and have good service with them. When I remove the monitor from any of our tires to adjust tire pressure, there is an almost immediate alarm registered. We experienced a right rear tire valve (on our tow vehicle) failure last year in Virginia, in which we were notified immediately with the Tire Minder System. This was an unusual failure, and after we set up camp, I found a tire dealer who then changed out all four tire valaves. I did that as a precaution.

Buyer be aware!
Goodyear Marathon are made in China.
Goodyear Endurance are made in the USA.

Totally different tires.
Totally different outcomes.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post
I think that the company that makes Castle Rock tires should be considered a terrorist organization.

If so then so should Firestone, Goodyear, General, Uniroyal, and just about every other company that's made tires over the last century or so.

Every tire company has had more than just a few tires produced by them have flaws that caused them to fail sooner than expected. All it takes is a bad batch of "rubber", an assembly error, or bad "cure".

That covers the faulty tire aspect but once the tire leaves the factory it's now exposed to the perils of the installers who improperly mount them orcustomers who fail to keep air in them or run over just about every possible road hazard imaginable.

BF Goodrich used to have a poster that listed all the things that people do to their tires without really thinking about it and then finished with the line "but they blame it on the tire".

Just remember, if the problem was as big as it's made to appear here on the forum the tires would have been recalled years ago. It's happened before and it will happen again (recalls, that is).

Consider the number of Castle Rock tires of all different sizes and load ranges supplied to FR and put on the highway every month. Now consider the number of failures reported. If ALL the data was in one place (not just here on this forum) you'd find that the failures are still a small percentage and doesn't rise to a high enough level to warrant a recall.

FWIW, I can remember when Goodyear had a bigger problem with trailer tires and people were replacing them with Chinese tires because of it.

FWIW, the pictures posted in this case look like the tire suffered some mechanical damage along the way that lead to the failure. Damage that could have occurred well after the tire left the manufacturer's hands and could well have happened to any other tire subjected to the same abuse.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
FR must have recognized the problem. My 8528RKWS came with load range C on it which I replaced with E, but the tires were made in the Philippines. I caught two of them before they exploded and now I've got Maxxis Es all around. Stay tuned!
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
FWIW, the pictures posted in this case look like the tire suffered some mechanical damage along the way that lead to the failure. Damage that could have occurred well after the tire left the manufacturer's hands and could well have happened to any other tire subjected to the same abuse.
How can you possibly tell that? The tire was likely flopping around after the blowout for a LONG time.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
How can you possibly tell that? The tire was likely flopping around after the blowout for a LONG time.
Because there is a high probability the cause was from some sort of damage caused from a strike, past or present.

There is a huge percentage of that tire still available for a forensic exam. Such an exam would pinpoint the cause. Calling it a "China Bomb" is misleading.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Because there is a high probability the cause was from some sort of damage caused from a strike, past or present.
And you can tell that from the pictures? Yes, its possible a strike caused it but you certainly can't tell that from the pictures posted.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
And you can tell that from the pictures? Yes, its possible a strike caused it but you certainly can't tell that from the pictures posted.
That's why I said "high probability".

It appears the OP has pre-determined the fault lies with the manufacturer of the tires. He has no more proof in saying that than I or others may say otherwise. The tire holds the truth. There is more than enough of it left for an expert to pinpoint the cause.

Tire Failure Analysis
Old 09-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
That's why I said "high probability".
So...you agree you can't tell from the pictures alone right?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #20

When I go to my dealer for service, I always wait while the work is performed. I’ve noticed multiple times when the transporters are delivering new units that they arrive with one or more tires grossly under inflated. So you never know what has happened to the tires before you take possession. After reading about all these China bomb stories, my first stop is at my tire dealer for new tires. The good year endurance tires had just hit the market on my last purchase and weren’t available in my size, so I went with the Maxxis lr E. So far, so good.