Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #21

I have to wonder how many of these tires were damaged at the dealer or en-route to dealer. I've seen them move units around their lots with a folk lift fitted with a ball or receiver for 5th wheel and turn them at 90 degrees or more with out the wheels rolling almost doubling the tire over on the rim very surprised they don't bust the beads on the tire. we've all seen how pack RV lots can be and they do what ever to shoehorn them in .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I have to wonder how many of these tires were damaged at the dealer or en-route to dealer. I've seen them move units around their lots with a folk lift fitted with a ball or receiver for 5th wheel and turn them at 90 degrees or more with out the wheels rolling almost doubling the tire over on the rim very surprised they don't bust the beads on the tire. we've all seen how pack RV lots can be and they do what ever to shoehorn them in .
I understand what you are saying... but... there have been several reports of brand new spare tires separating the tread having never been on the road!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #23

Tires

It does not help that Mfgs. use the bare minimum weight rating tires that they can get by w/. I always felt most failures are do to not maintaining the air pressure. Then I had 2-3 yr. old trailer tires w/ tread separating while sitting there.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #24

August 20th my 2015 manufactured china Bomb went off 225 75 15 E rated tire (Trailer only required C'rated tires). so I felt I was in good shape MY MISTAKE
All tires had been aired and checked prior to the trip we were 60 miles into a 300 mile trip fortunately I was able to install my spare myself and find replacement tires en route
However I only got the trailer damage repair completed in the last week cost was $1135
I had planned to replace tires in the coming year but did not make it my tire man says to now replace ST tires every 3 years
I had less than 6000 miles on the old set
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #25
Rookie

There are not a lot of ST tires available in a 235/75r15 (mine are on a Geo Pro off-road package); what's the consensus on using a XL tire with a load rating 109 (2271lbs) in place of the ST tire?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:14 AM   #26

Jayco is making the move to Goodyear Endurance tires on all of its products. This may cause other manufactures to do the same. I hope.

listen & watch the beginning of this video
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
Its a real shame the RV industry is so cheap and money hungry they are willing to put their customers lives at risk. This has been going on for years and nothing is being done about it. One can only conclude, they just don't care.
It doesn't help that the tire manufacturers abandoned RV'ers and farmed out production to China. Even goodyear marathon went there. was assured by Goodyear that the Endurance is American made.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
Global Nomad

With 13,000 miles on your tires with no problems, my first suspicion is you are over weight. When was the last time (if ever) you had your vehicle weighted?
My tires are China made, 30,000 miles no problems.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1429 View Post
I had heard the stories about China Bomb tires, I just did not realize the precision with which these tires were made so that, in my case, they were actually China "Time Bombs".
Your trailer has 3500# GAWR axles with tires having a maximum load capacity of 1760#. Pointing the finger at the tires is in the wrong direction.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Your trailer has 3500# GAWR axles with tires having a maximum load capacity of 1760#. Pointing the finger at the tires is in the wrong direction.
Oh yes .it's the manufactures faults for most blown tires . since like you mention they put on the bear minimum . They seem to think it's acceptable ,Axles not large enough for the max weight of the Trailers ,tires not rated high enough for the max weight of their Trailers , Springs not rated high enough . But it falls back on the fallacy that the TW carries the extra weight leaving a cushion for the tires ,axles & springs . all axles ,Tires and springs S/B rated at full Trailer gross weight plus 20% . I ended up with 2 broken springs after 30,000 ++ miles just recently lucky it happened as i was pulling into campground . installed springs rated for full gross weight , next is new axles to match
Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #31

Quote:
X2.

I run through Elkhart several times a year and I'm always seeing transporters running 70+mph east and west from Elkhart. So unless your rig was transported on a trailer (usually only smaller units), you never know how it was treated during delivery to the dealer.

Same with salt. If your rig was delivered in the winter, it's probably got lots of salt on the frame and other places.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Oh yes .it's the manufactures faults for most blown tires . since like you mention they put on the bear minimum . They seem to think it's acceptable ,Axles not large enough for the max weight of the Trailers ,tires not rated high enough for the max weight of their Trailers , Springs not rated high enough . But it falls back on the fallacy that the TW carries the extra weight leaving a cushion for the tires ,axles & springs . all axles ,Tires and springs S/B rated at full Trailer gross weight plus 20% . I ended up with 2 broken springs after 30,000 ++ miles just recently lucky it happened as i was pulling into campground . installed springs rated for full gross weight , You cannot load to full GVWR without exceeding axel GAWRs. next is new axles to match. If you use new axles with more load capacity you cannot load to that capacity without exceeding the vehicle GAWRs.
The manufacturer told you what the limits were. Exceeding them is just asking for problems.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Perhaps the transporters damaged the tires enroute to the dealer. Many threads here of transporters seen pulling new trailers out of Indiana at high rates of speed..
Old 11-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #34

You do not have a 'heavy' unit. The tires should have been fine. (I know they blew out) Go up a load rate and then look for some cause that may be out of the ordinary. Are your bearings greased well, are any burned up, are the hubs tight/loose, lugs nuts tight, are the brakes set too tight and dragging? Do you have a shackle broken or an alignment issue. How many 'curbs' have you hit? I am NOT saying that you are abusing your unit. One seemly small incident can knock something askew. Three tires on one trip.... something is going on and you need to find it before something really bad happens. 'Changing' out tires may be a short term 'fix', but imo. look around the underside.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #35

Quote:
The manufacturer told you what the limits were. Exceeding them is just asking for problems.
Not exceeding the weight limits .

Not sure where you got that from . manufacture lists a dry weight of 7122 actual was 7290 with propane tanks full . this cut into the load of manufacture stated 2651 to 2483 .still a max load of 9773. i run loaded at 93xx so i don't see how i'm exceeding max load or how you came to the assumption i was without even knowing the numbers or what my unit is . 4400 lbs axles with LRD tires are to low that's why i run LRE's now the weak spot is the axles themselves since i've up-graded the springs
Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Not exceeding the weight limits .

Not sure where you got that from . manufacture lists a dry weight of 7122 actual was 7290 with propane tanks full . this cut into the load of manufacture stated 2651 to 2483 .still a max load of 9773. i run loaded at 93xx so i don't see how i'm exceeding max load or how you came to the assumption i was without even knowing the numbers or what my unit is . 4400 lbs axles with LRD tires are to low that's why i run LRE's now the weak spot is the axles themselves since i've up-graded the springs
I don't post without research. Since 2010 full propane tanks have been part of the trailer's GVW as it leaves the factory.

Regardless of how you use them the vehicle GVWR and GAWRs are listed on the certification label. The vehicle manufacturer CANNOT build to lessor numbers.

The total load of your trailer is divided into two parts. One is carried by the axles and the other is carried by the tow vehicle.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #37

Quote:
I don't post without research. Since 2010 full propane tanks have been part of the trailer's GVW as it leaves the factory.

Regardless of how you use them the vehicle GVWR and GAWRs are listed on the certification label. The vehicle manufacturer CANNOT build to lessor numbers.

The total load of your trailer is divided into two parts. One is carried by the axles and the other is carried by the tow vehicle.
either way the listed dry weight and the actual was off . still not over the weights listed by the manufacture so how you researched the weight of my unit and determined i was over is beyond me .

I mentioned that the units should come with axles and tires able to carry the whole weight of the unit and not count the portion carried by the TV as this does not take into account shock load when running down the road
Old 11-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #38

Three out of four tires all blowing out at around the same time, +/-300 mi out of 13000 is too much of a coincidence, actually two consecutive coincidences. I would expect poorly made tires to randomly fail. This sounds like something else.

I have 30k on my china made tires. Still have some life but will change as they are approaching 5 yrs old. I am very vigilant on checking tire pressures and am not near max capacity of the trailer. They have a 75 mph speed limit and I never travel that fast. In the heat of the summer I check the tire temps with the infrared gun, watch tire pressures and don't drive over 65 if its above 90F.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #39

Quote:
either way the listed dry weight and the actual was off . still not over the weights listed by the manufacture so how you researched the weight of my unit and determined i was over is beyond me. Go back and look at my posts. I never said you were over.

I mentioned that the units should come with axles and tires able to carry the whole weight of the unit and not count the portion carried by the TV as this does not take into account shock load when running down the road
RV Trailers are built to minimum specifications provided in FMVSS (standards) and certified that they have complied with those standards. For RV trailers there are no real mandatory load capacity reserves. If a RV trailer is purchased that does not have enough cargo capacity for the consumer's needs there are about three options. Learn to load it without exceeding its load restrictions, overload it and risk early material failures or bite the bullet and get another one.

(RV trailer tires have always had a list of caveats that consumers just don't pay much attention to. The one that bites most often is early failures because of loading, speed and aging. They are always loaded heavy. They sit a lot. They ARE NOT mileage tires, they age out. Part of the aging process is the degrading process that weakens the tires to the point they can no longer support the load put on them. Tires of the same age and from the same manufacturer will in all likelihood all fail at or near the same time. it's a much longer story that right along now starts getting yawns.)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #40

Quote:
RV Trailers are built to minimum specifications provided in FMVSS (standards) and certified that they have complied with those standards. For RV trailers there are no real mandatory load capacity reserves. If a RV trailer is purchased that does not have enough cargo capacity for the consumer's needs there are about three options. Learn to load it without exceeding its load restrictions, overload it and risk early material failures or bite the bullet and get another one.

(RV trailer tires have always had a list of caveats that consumers just don't pay much attention to. The one that bites most often is early failures because of loading, speed and aging. They are always loaded heavy. They sit a lot. They ARE NOT mileage tires, they age out. Part of the aging process is the degrading process that weakens the tires to the point they can no longer support the load put on them. Tires of the same age and from the same manufacturer will in all likelihood all fail at or near the same time. it's a much longer story that right along now starts getting yawns.)

I really don't see how your posts are relevant to the thread . No one is exceeding cargo , so why you even bring it up is beyond me . Tires blow and they blow more often when there cheap tires and are at their max weight capacity when they leave the manufacture.

Have a great day