Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #21

My vote is for the non-flow through models. I have both kinds... because the Flow-throughs, at least the TST507, are incredibly slow when adjusting air pressure. With 100 psi supply to the tire chuck, to add 2 pounds of air might take 60 seconds... it is hard for me to press the chuck tightly for that long.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhodj View Post
Great thread as I'm in need of a good TPMS and looking at the TST507

Now the next question is buy direct or a place like Vulcan Tire who is a little cheaper than direct from TST. Thoughts?

I brought mine from great rv products, great place to buy the batteries at. If you have a a problem they have a great website plus only a phone call away if you want to talk to a live person
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
Any recommendations on which is better- a closed TPMS system or one where I can add/let out air with the sensors in place (flow-thru)? Preferred brands?

Thanks
I do not have the flow-through sensors. I didn't want to spend the money on metal valves. With the standard sensors the regular rubber valves work fine.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #24

TPMS 507 non flow thru with metal valve stems. Great customer service also. Just changed tires and went from 65 psi to 80 psi. Looked at instruction book, the called Diane at customer service and told her that stuff just gives me a "HEADACHE". LOL! She said no problem, call anytime. A few minutes and I was ready to go.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #25

I got the TST 507 system from Great RV Products. I had America's tire install metal valve stems and balance the wheels for, IIRC, $64. The sensors could alter the wheel balance somewhat and the metal stems are cheap insurance.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
My vote is for the non-flow through models. I have both kinds... because the Flow-throughs, at least the TST507, are incredibly slow when adjusting air pressure. With 100 psi supply to the tire chuck, to add 2 pounds of air might take 60 seconds... it is hard for me to press the chuck tightly for that long.

WW

You should use a locking chuck, it keeps you from harms way case something goes wrong. Available in any auto parts store and Walmart. Best news is it stays in place until full.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #27

I have the flow thru,. If I had it to do over I would get the Non Flow thru. When adding air using the flow thru, the sensor puts a back pressure against my compressor which takes longer to add air. Will keep the flow thru as I don't want to spend more money to procure the Non throw thru. I just remove the sensor add air and reinstall the sensors. The sensors seem to work well when traveling, no issues other than what's mentioned above.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
Any recommendations on which is better- a closed TPMS system or one where I can add/let out air with the sensors in place (flow-thru)? Preferred brands?

Thanks
I recently spoke to TST and commented that I wished I had gone with the flow through units. Their quick response was NO YOU DON'T. They indicated that the cap type are better for several reasons. Lighter and more reliable stand out in my never perfect memory. I think he indicated better battery life as well.

I also learned that the Battery has a pressure on off so they turn off when you remove them so to extend battery life I take them off when we get home now.

Check and set cold tire pressure before I take off on a trip and put sensor caps back on.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #29

I also have the TST 507 flow through on rubber valve stems, no real problems except that the monitor reads 10 pounds over on tire pressure than what I have in the tires, check with 2 gauges and yep showing 10 pounds over what I have in them. and my 5er is is 35' long and every trip I lose one tire on the monitor, turn off and on and it picks it back up, called the manufacturer and they said I need a booster.

I will keep checking them manually, before every trip, and keep an eye on the monitor for a catastrophic problem,
jeepin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
I do not have the flow-through sensors. I didn't want to spend the money on metal valves. With the standard sensors the regular rubber valves work fine.
I had the factory sorta metal stems with rubber base. Worked, but everyone warns against. Changed them to all metal on the truck and will get to the trailer next.

Was told that the slightly less than half ounce sensor can pull with centrifical just enough to break them in the long run but make them prone to leaking at the base due to being tugged sideways all the time. But hey if they leak the sensor will tell me, RIGHT?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #31
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhodj View Post
Great thread as I'm in need of a good TPMS and looking at the TST507

Now the next question is buy direct or a place like Vulcan Tire who is a little cheaper than direct from TST. Thoughts?
I got mine from Vulcan. No problems, Quick shipping. Would use again.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #32

I just ordered mine from Vulcan
Miles 6450
Super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #33

My motorhome came with metal valve stems on all 6 wheels plus metal flow through valve caps which made access easier. The front tires were pretty simple. The dual rear tires came with a U or J shaped metal extension on the outer tires but the inner tires had a flexible composite extension which was fine until I screwed on to TPMS sensor. The sensor made the inner extension wag like a dogs tail so I changed it to a solid metal one, plus the flow through valve cap then the non-flow through TPMS sensor. 1000 miles later they have worked flawlessly to keep me advised of tire pressures and temperatures.
Like ScottBrownstein said, there is no need to remove the sensors to check tire pressure using the TPMS and only necessary on the rare occasion a tire needs air.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #34

I should have mentioned in my other post, I have about 5500 miles on my short rubber stems with chrome covers and flow thru sensors and have had no problems. I purchased from TST they have great customer service.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote