Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

Columbus RS 320 leveling system

I was camping this weekend and leveling system malfunctioned and trailer fell off rear jacks. Bending rear jack and frame. Can this be fixed the whole main frame bent.
Shockrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockrc View Post
I was camping this weekend and leveling system malfunctioned and trailer fell off rear jacks. Bending rear jack and frame. Can this be fixed the whole main frame bent.
What happened exactly?

How does it fall off the rear jacks?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
What happened exactly?

How does it fall off the rear jacks?

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
Exactly? Turbs did you get the level-up system? This sounds impossible to me. Your also sitting on tires?.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Exactly? Turbs did you get the level-up system? This sounds impossible to me. Your also sitting on tires?.
Yes I have the auto level. 4 point system.

Just trying to figure how it fell off the jacks.

possibly the tires were on blocks and unit rolled ahead?

Tires weren't locked?

Btw the op has only posted once.

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Usually the way it is. Fail to give you the whole story then want to blame the trailer system. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

If your system failed and went Down,I would think the Elect Stablizers woul bend before the Main frame? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If your system failed and went Down,I would think the Elect Stablizers woul bend before the Main frame? Youroo!!
Geeze the tires must have been completely off the ground for that to happen?

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

Leveling system

Let me tell you mr tubs it fell while I was under the camper trying to retract leveling leg on rear. Yes it was all the way up. I tried despartly to retract legs by zeroing out the calibration to no avail. I was accually on my phone with the dealer when it happened. Trying to retract the motor all of the sudden it fell the pic you seen was real. I'm not blaming anybody but when leveling system all the way out extends out this can happen. To date Forest River claimed no liability Lippert says 1 year on mechanical no frame coverage. I spent 4500.00 for extra insurance coverage not covered. Now I have a 1 1/2 year old camper sitting and can't use. IT CAN HAPPEN SO YOU ALL CAN SIT AROUND And TALK ABOUT. HOW A NOVICE CAMPER EXPERIENCE SOMETHING AWFUL.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Let me tell you mr tubs it fell while I was under the camper trying to retract leveling leg on rear. Yes it was all the way up. I tried despartly to retract legs by zeroing out the calibration to no avail. I was accually on my phone with the dealer when it happened. Trying to retract the motor all of the sudden it fell the pic you seen was real. I'm not blaming anybody but when leveling system all the way out extends out this can happen. To date Forest River claimed no liability Lippert says 1 year on mechanical no frame coverage. I spent 4500.00 for extra insurance coverage not covered. Now I have a 1 1/2 year old camper sitting and can't use. IT CAN HAPPEN SO YOU ALL CAN SIT AROUND And TALK ABOUT. HOW A NOVICE CAMPER EXPERIENCE SOMETHING AWFUL.
What picture?
Why were they 100% extended?

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Wrong. I'm not blaming anybody.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

I guess I posted it on Columbus members. Believe me they were very helpful in getting my leveling legs off so I could tow it to the dealers. It actually had to be jacked up with a 27 ton floor Jack and a anvil 2 foot long what a mess. Once again I'm not blaming no one. Operator Error maybe but they should warn you when your system extends out and won't retract. You shouldn't have to crawl under a trailer and try to retract a motor.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess I posted it on Columbus members. Believe me they were very helpful in getting my leveling legs off so I could tow it to the dealers. It actually had to be jacked up with a 27 ton floor Jack and a anvil 2 foot long what a mess. Once again I'm not blaming no one. Operator Error maybe but they should warn you when your system extends out and won't retract. You shouldn't have to crawl under a trailer and try to retract a motor.
May I ask what system was put on your trailer. Was it electric, hydraulic level up or the new black cat system which is hydraulic system but with the pump attached to the ram on each leg? It sounds like it had to be the Electrical system. Sorry that happened to you, Lippert will just claim you tweaked your frame. Where all the legs up but that one only? If both jacks are not extended it would tweak your frame. The problem with extended warranty they will not cover your frame or walls and roofs. You might take it to frame shop and see what they can do. If you have insurance on the trailer they might help you out depending on your policy, kinda like the insurance covers your damage done by a blow out. hope that gives you some ideas to think about.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok, I am just l looking for the cause of the issue so I don't have the same issue.
In your first post you said "malfunction" in a later post you state "maybe user error"
It sucks it happened, I'm just asking questions.

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
Old 10-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #14

Shockrc

No problem. I did turn it into insurance waiting on answer. I have the 6 point electric leveling system. I've only camped 3 times before this happened. The system seemed to work fine. Except Labor Day weekend this happens. Also Demetric A/C went out. I did call CoachNet and they came out and changed out AC also assisted getting extended leg off trailer.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
No problem. I did turn it into insurance waiting on answer. I have the 6 point electric leveling system. I've only camped 3 times before this happened. The system seemed to work fine. Except Labor Day weekend this happens. Also Demetric A/C went out. I did call CoachNet and they came out and changed out AC also assisted getting extended leg off trailer.
15k unit?
Do u know was it a brisk air 2?
TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"

Tags
columbus, leveling