Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Concern about tires and axle looking out of line

Our Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S has been sitting all winter after we had done warranty work on it late last year. Yesterday, we moved it to our new home which is only 5 miles away or so and put it on our new, concrete driveway (It was parked on a gravel driveway before that). Once we got it there and parked, we noticed that the front set of tires (Dual axle trailer) looked out of line (Almost bent out on one side, and bent in on the same axle on the opposite side). We don’t understand why they look this way or how it could have happened. We pulled it only a few miles, and didn’t hit anything, chuckholes included, on the way. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here, and how we can correct it?
Thank you!
I can forward pictures if that would help, I just don’t know how to upload them onto this thread.
erichardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

Did you make a sharp turn putting it into its current parking place?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Yes, to some extent we did.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

Hitch it back up and pull it forward an backwards a few times. Likely just the twist of the tires makes it look like that. I wouldn't leave it the way it is. Hard on the tires.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Hitch it back up and pull it forward an backwards a few times. Likely just the twist of the tires makes it look like that. I wouldn't leave it the way it is. Hard on the tires.
Great, I was thinking it might be something along those lines but wasn’t sure if that was just hopeful thinking. I will try that, thank you!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichardy View Post
Great, I was thinking it might be something along those lines but wasn’t sure if that was just hopeful thinking. I will try that, thank you!
Yes same thing on my trailer....just back up pull forward....there is a you tube video on this too..not sure where it's at
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Thank you!!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #8

Alignment city

Had the same thing with my old trailer. Turns out the axles were installed upside down. They should be frowning not smiling. Took it to my local spring and axle shop for an alignment. Alignment and new tires cost 500 CAD(1.95 USD). Dealer wanted 1900 with a loyalty discount. I am not that loyal.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Make a sharp turn on a tandem axle (not axel) trailer and watch how the axles/tires and wheels flex. I seen a guy peel a tire right off a rim on a sharp turn on pavement. I've also seen it flip the center spring hanger/equalizer too.

All the folks wanting to make full 90º turns with their rigs better understand what that does to their suspensions and axles.... not for me!

If you made a sharp turn into your parking spot, the advice of pulling straight ahead and backing up (once there) is spot on, even if you have to unhook/re-hook do do so.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #10

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #11

This happened to us in a little bit different way. First trust your judgement, I thought when we bought our 1/5 wheel the axles looked out of line but no, then I thought just me. We took several 1 to 2 hour trips all seemed good. 4 hr trip and in the 3rd hr right front blow out. 4th hour left front blow out and waiting for help. Took to a axle and wheel joint shop. 450.00 and 2 new tires and some small damage to trailer. They took both axles off and straightened. Now we have been are happy campers. Short of it VERY WELL WORTH HAVING THEM CHECKED. Good Luck.
raceready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceready View Post
This happened to us in a little bit different way. First trust your judgement, I thought when we bought our 1/5 wheel the axles looked out of line but no, then I thought just me. We took several 1 to 2 hour trips all seemed good. 4 hr trip and in the 3rd hr right front blow out. 4th hour left front blow out and waiting for help. Took to a axle and wheel joint shop. 450.00 and 2 new tires and some small damage to trailer. They took both axles off and straightened. Now we have been are happy campers. Short of it VERY WELL WORTH HAVING THEM CHECKED. Good Luck.
If both axles needed to be bent back into position, then chances are they were overloaded at one point in time.

Or, someone jacked up the trailer with the axle(s) and not by the frame.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If both axles needed to be bent back into position, then chances are they were overloaded at one point in time.

Or, someone jacked up the trailer with the axle(s) and not by the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelt View Post
Your RV is 120V, not 220. You plug into 220 you'll need more than a adapter.
I have 110 on a 30amp breaker. It runs one air conditioner and refrigerator. I do not run air conditioner very often only when it very hot out. Usually just for a few hours and when getting ready for a trip to lake.

Maybe, I know one was bent
Point was to have them checked. Thought my story was to long. I do agree it was probably overloaded. Thanks.
raceready is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires