Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Constancy LY188 Speed Rating

My 2015 Puma TT has Constancy LY188 ST225/75-15 LRD tires on it. Nowhere on the tire does it state a max speed. No load rating followed by a speed rating, either, such as 113S. I looked them up online, and the manufacturer lists them as 113S. All retailers selling them show them as 113S, meaning S speed rating as well. That's a 112MPH speed rating I'm not buying that for a second. I've always been hesitant to even accelerate beyond 65 to pass a slow moving vehicle! Any thoughts?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Not enough time in Recent Discussions to suit me, so….bump.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
Always Learning

From what I've read- if a ST tire doesn't specifically have a speed rating stamped on it, it is tested to 65mph.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
From what I've read- if a ST tire doesn't specifically have a speed rating stamped on it, it is tested to 65mph.
That would be my assumption, too. Still leaves me wondering why the manufacturer would clearly state on their website it is rated to 112mph, though???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.43.06 AM.png
Views:	252
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	104144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 8.40.07 AM.png
Views:	196
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	104145  
Old 04-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Always Learning

Is that the new ones? I think there was a recent change where new ST tires have to have a speed code stamped on them.

Have you thought about contacting them directly?
Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

My 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 301BLDS came from the factory with Constancy LY188 ST225/75R15 tires installed. They do have both Load Rating and Speed Rating markings:

Speed Rating "L" (75MPH/120km/h MAX.)
Load Range D
Max Load Single 1150 kg (2540 lbs) at 450 kPa (65 psi)
Max Load Dual 1000 kg (2200 lbs) at 450 kPa (65 psi)
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
gresper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
clr

As I under this the TRA sets the minimum requirements for the ST type tires in the USA. They very recently changed the speed requirement from 65 MPH to 75 MPH, with the additional stipulation that the speed rating had to be marked on the sidewall of the tire. So if your tire is not marked with the speed rating of L it is only rated for 65 MPH.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

I'm almost certain mine do not have that speed rating listed, but I'll check again later today. Mine were manufactured 4214. Still begs the question- why would the manufacturer list a completely different speed rating on their website than what is on the tire??? For some reason I just get the feeling that when a legit tire company wears out some equipment, they sell it to some of these guys who continue to use it to pump out subpar tires. But that's just me.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
As I under this the TRA sets the minimum requirements for the ST type tires in the USA. They very recently changed the speed requirement from 65 MPH to 75 MPH, with the additional stipulation that the speed rating had to be marked on the sidewall of the tire. So if your tire is not marked with the speed rating of L it is only rated for 65 MPH.
That is likely true. Anyone want to make a bet that they didn't make any changes at all to the tires to increase the speed rating. My money is on the 75mph tires being identical to the 65mph tires.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Still begs the question- why would the manufacturer list a completely different speed rating on their website than what is on the tire???

Websites are the ugly step-child of most companies and are generally poorly handled.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #11

TRA has set a new 81 MPH speed rating for ST tires manufactured after xxxx date without a speed letter. Older unmarked tires are still 65 MPH.

Tire manufacturers are not required to divulge manufacturing components of tires other than what is required by DOT to be on each tire's sidewall. They do have to certify to NHTSA that a speed rating is valid and testable.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
That is likely true. Anyone want to make a bet that they didn't make any changes at all to the tires to increase the speed rating. My money is on the 75mph tires being identical to the 65mph tires.
I'd say you are correct. I recently purchased Goodyear Marathons. Goodyear has a Public Service Bulletin that indicates you can increase the tire pressure 10 psi over the TT's sticker to increase the speed range to 66 - 75 mph.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
RetiredRVer

Since 2000, the NHTSA has required that all passenger car tires, as well as, all pneumatic mfg tires, have the load range, max cold tire inflation pressure, speed rating etc...stamped on the sidewall of all tires sold in the United States. I looked it up!
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Since 2000, the NHTSA has required that all passenger car tires, as well as, all pneumatic mfg tires, have the load range, max cold tire inflation pressure, speed rating etc...stamped on the sidewall of all tires sold in the United States. I looked it up!
Load range is not applicable to passenger tires.

The current description method for speed ratings has been used since 1971.

Speed letters have not and are still not mandatory for ST tires. The current adaption of service descriptions including speed letters for ST tires has been forced on those tires being imported. To pass customs without having to pay an increased tariff most ST tires must now have speed letters.

The official load capacity medium for ST and LT tires is the load range letters. They are also official for medium to heavy duty truck tires.

Passenger tires load capacity is presented on their sidewalls as a service description. Something like 100Q where the 100 will lead you to a chart depicting its load capacity and the "Q" is its speed restriction. Passenger tires also have a grading system called "Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards".

The DOT allows the use of service descriptions on ST tires although they are not the official method used to determine their load capacity.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Load range is not applicable to passenger tires.

The current description method for speed ratings has been used since 1971.

Speed letters have not and are still not mandatory for ST tires. The current adaption of service descriptions including speed letters for ST tires has been forced on those tires being imported. To pass customs without having to pay an increased tariff most ST tires must now have speed letters.

The official load capacity medium for ST and LT tires is the load range letters. They are also official for medium to heavy duty truck tires.

Passenger tires load capacity is presented on their sidewalls as a service description. Something like 100Q where the 100 will lead you to a chart depicting its load capacity and the "Q" is its speed restriction. Passenger tires also have a grading system called "Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards".

The DOT allows the use of service descriptions on ST tires although they are not the official method used to determine their load capacity.
What I said.....
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #16

I just replaced a set of Constancy 188 tires that came new on my 2015 fiver. I sold the set for $200 on Craigslist to a guy who wanted them for his equipment trailer. I'll wager that he paid me more for them than FR paid for them as oem tires.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #17

I've read tons of talk about FR (and pretty much all other RV manufacturers) using cheap "China Bombs" on new trailers. It sounds like the #1 recommended tire replacement is Goodyear Marathon Radials. What confuses me is that Goodyear Marathons are also made in China. What's the deal?
gresper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresper View Post
My 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 301BLDS came from the factory with Constancy LY188 ST225/75R15 tires installed. They do have both Load Rating and Speed Rating markings:

Speed Rating "L" (75MPH/120km/h MAX.)
Load Range D
Max Load Single 1150 kg (2540 lbs) at 450 kPa (65 psi)
Max Load Dual 1000 kg (2200 lbs) at 450 kPa (65 psi)
[
Same here

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #19

The Constancy 188's have a huge reputation for blowing out at hwy speeds. Never take them over 65. ST tires lose a third of their strength at 2 years of age whether they are in service or not. I wasn't waiting for a cheap ST tire to blow and take half the kitchen slide plumbing with it. Forum research led me to Maxxis tires which are not made in China. Mine were made in Thailand. Is that better? I dunno,....time will tell. I would have liked to install G614's, but ran into rim figment issues that became difficult to overcome. So, I'll be watching my new Maxxis tires closely to see how they hold up. I think it was Herk who suggested the Maxxis and use the savings to install a tpms system. After thinking about that for a day or two, I concluded it was a great suggestion, so that's what I did. Time will tell. Watch your tires closely no matter which brand. Blowouts can prove to be costly.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #20

I plan to go with Maxxis too. Onlinetires.com list them as Q rated but Maxxis.com just says it is a "high speed radial".

I am waiting to see if the rating is actually listed on the tire but haven't seen anyone comment on that yet.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote