Old 09-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #21

In the tire industry world, dual tire fitments are those tires that are configured side by side on a single axle such as found on the rear axle of a dually truck or on trailers used in the trucking industry. One of the reasons for lower inflation pressures in that configuration is to off-set road crown. Most tire manufacturers will figure the off-set pressures at 12-15% and those pressures will be displayed on all tires that can be used in any dual configurations.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
In the tire industry world, dual tire fitments are those tires that are configured side by side on a single axle such as found on the rear axle of a dually truck or on trailers used in the trucking industry. One of the reasons for lower inflation pressures in that configuration is to off-set road crown. Most tire manufacturers will figure the off-set pressures at 12-15% and those pressures will be displayed on all tires that can be used in any dual configurations.
I always wondered why my duals were a lower pressure than my front tires when they're all the same. Thanks for the tidbit of info!

I saw a contraption on a tractor trailer's duals that equalized the pressure between the tires. The marketing/manufacturer said it was due to the road crown to equalize wear on the tires. It was this:
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-Dual.../dp/B0003040ZS

Old 09-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #23

Yeah. If I figure 1000 lbs for tongue weight, I'm still in trouble if the 'dual' rating applies to both side by side and tandem applications as Goodyear seems to be saying.

Any idea where a complaint to NHTSA can be filed?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
Any idea where a complaint to NHTSA can be filed?
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:

I suggest you re-read the tire sidewall. I know of no pressure decrease when in dual application. There is a load capacity reduction but no pressure reduction.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #26
Commercial Member

I have heard it suggested that if you can't find a dealership for a brand of tires then you may just have "Container Babies". which have as a primary objective low cost and are imported in container quantities and sold to highest bidder.
If you can't find a dealer how are you going to get any warranty adjustment? Who would you see if there were a tire recall?
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #27

Quote:
In the tire industry world, dual tire fitments are those tires that are configured side by side on a single axle such as found on the rear axle of a dually truck or on trailers used in the trucking industry. One of the reasons for lower load capacities in that configuration is to off-set road crown. Most tire manufacturers will figure the off-set load capacities at 12-15% and those load capacities will be displayed on all tires that can be used in any dual configurations.
Sorry about the wording in this post. I've changed it with green print.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #28

Here's an interesting quote from Carlisle Tire. It comes from a 'Tips and Best Practices' document.

"The combined capacity of all the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent".

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

If I go by this rule with my Rockwood trailer, I would need a load rating of 2300lbs per tire.
The tires that came with it have a 1760lbs single load rating.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #29

I have China Westlake tires on my 5er GVWR is 18,000 lbs. My 6 tires are rated at 3520 each = 21,120 lbs. If I take off tounge weight of 15% minimum or 2700# that leaves me with 15,300# on my tires at full load. I don't tow with a full load but close at usually 17,000# so by the before posted 20% I'm all good with RV to tire weight which is starting to relieve my stress about my Westlake tires. I checked the date on the tires and they were made in march 2013 even though my 5er is 1 years old so I'm pushing the 3 yr. old tire marker. I'm Thinking I better use my tax money this year for tires. I hate all the tire issues I hear from these China bombs it scars me about the damage from a blow out causes, but I'm well under the ratings of my tires. Should I worry???
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #30

Based on the shopping I've been doing, it may be impossible to avoid Chinese made tires. So I've decided to buy a Tire Pressure Monitoring System that displays both tire pressure and temperature. This ought to give me some warning that a tire is failing before it blows out. Because I already blew a tire and Forest River left me with little or no load margin, I'm also going to replace my almost new C rated tires with D rated ones. If you already have decent load margin, this shouldn't be as urgent.

Tags
tire, tires