Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #31

I talked to Rockwood yesterday about my blowout. They're offering to replace or reimburse for one failed tire. I've found multiple recommendations on the web that suggest both tires on one side should always be replaced when one fails catastrophically. The reason is that the remaining tire has probably been overstressed by carrying the full load on its side. In my case I drove without knowing I had only one tire intact until I stopped for fuel. I'm not accepting their offer, but will press them harder.

I was told by Rockwood that tires sometimes fail; my response was that at age 65 I've got 48 years of driving experience and have never had a tire fail without obvious cause until now. This is BS.

I was also told by Rockwood that a reason not to put more capable tires on the trailers is so customers won't read the tire load rating and think they can overload the trailer. This is also BS. The GVWR of the trailer applies as a maximum no matter what changes one makes.

My opinion is that in trying to save a few bucks on tires, Rockwood is ignoring an issue that will sooner or later cause a fatal accident. ...and they're also going to lose customers as this issue becomes even more apparent.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #32

....for anyone who has also been looking for D rated 14 inch replacements, I've found these:
Kenda Karrier ST205/75R14 2040lbs/65psi
Taskmaster ST215/75R14 2200lbs/65psi (only from etrailer.com)
Kumho 857 205R14C 2271lbs/65psi/99mph

The Kumho's are a commercial use tire and will cost me $200 more than the cheap stuff on the market, but one blowout prevented is easily worth that much to me.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #33

I talked this morning with an engineer at Dexter, the manufacturer of my Torflex axles. He seemed to validate the need to de-rate tire load rating as recommended by Carlisle (my earlier post). He points out that trailers are not usually balanced left to right due to the weight of slide-outs on one side. So one side will inevitably carry more weight than the other. He also agreed with me that a pair of tandem axles won't share weight exactly equally because of production variations in the spring constants...one axle will always be a little stiffer than the other.

So, the conclusion is that you can't take your total trailer weight, subtract the tongue weight, and then divide by four to figure the load on each tire. You need to add in a margin (20% as recommended by Carlisle) because there will always be variations in load among four tires on two axles.

The Dexter engineer also warned that the axle is designed for a specific diameter tire. Going to a larger tire in order to increase load capacity may overstress the axle.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
....for anyone who has also been looking for D rated 14 inch replacements, I've found these:
Kenda Karrier ST205/75R14 2040lbs/65psi
Taskmaster ST215/75R14 2200lbs/65psi (only from etrailer.com)
Kumho 857 205R14C 2271lbs/65psi/99mph

The Kumho's are a commercial use tire and will cost me $200 more than the cheap stuff on the market, but one blowout prevented is easily worth that much to me.
Kendra and Taskmaster are chinese; the Kumho 857 or Hankook RA08 are made elsewhere and true 8 ply load D and more capacity; I paid $500 for 4 of the Hankooks (shipped) from busdepot.com
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Kendra and Taskmaster are chinese; the Kumho 857 or Hankook RA08 are made elsewhere and true 8 ply load D and more capacity; I paid $500 for 4 of the Hankooks (shipped) from busdepot.com
What size Hancooks did you get?
I only see 185R14 and 195R14 on their website.....
Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #36

The 195 is the same physical size as the st205; because it is a true truck tire it is 82 aspect instead of 75; but they work wonderful. You can look up all the specs at hankooktire.com
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #37
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
So, the conclusion is that you can't take your total trailer weight, subtract the tongue weight, and then divide by four to figure the load on each tire. You need to add in a margin (20% as recommended by Carlisle) because there will always be variations in load among four tires on two axles.
There are quite a few outfits who will do individual wheel weights for you. I did and found quite a disparity among my 4 tires.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #38

Based on info from the Tirerack.com site, the Kuhmo 205R14C is made in either China or Viet Nam.

Based on the Hankook website, they're made in either China, Hungary, or Korea.

Grumble.....
Old 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Based on info from the Tirerack.com site, the Kuhmo 205R14C is made in either China or Viet Nam.

Based on the Hankook website, they're made in either China, Hungary, or Korea.

Grumble.....
Are you looking for a ST tire that isn't made in China? Generally speaking, all ST tires are made in China or the far-east.

You have to go to a different type of tire if you want American made.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #40
William

Quote:
Based on the shopping I've been doing, it may be impossible to avoid Chinese made tires. So I've decided to buy a Tire Pressure Monitoring System that displays both tire pressure and temperature. This ought to give me some warning that a tire is failing before it blows out. Because I already blew a tire and Forest River left me with little or no load margin, I'm also going to replace my almost new C rated tires with D rated ones. If you already have decent load margin, this shouldn't be as urgent.
I've had one flat, one blowout, and one tire I caught visually that the tread was separating. The flat was due to a road hazzard and did no damage. TPMS would have aided in this event. The blowout was tread separation. I don't see how TPMS would have caught this before it blew. This also applies to the tire I noticed visibly during a stop. Unless there is a spike in temperature during tread separation, then not sure that TPMS is beneficial in that situation. In most cases, Chinese tires separate at the tread and then blow and cause damage. In my case, I believe that speed, road heat, and horrible road conditions were the cause. BTW, these all happened on Louisiana roads.

Tags
tire, tires