Old 09-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #41

The Hankook 195s are made in Korea

Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #42

Hankook RA08 195/75R14 have been discontinued. :-(

I've ordered Kumho 857 205/75R14C (Load Rating D) to replace my brand new and not trusted Constancy LY188's.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Related issue.
Have you ever seen a "Constancy" tire dealership? or is this just something available from low price Internet seller?
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #44

Nope. I've never seen a brick and mortar 'Constancy' dealer.

Constancy LY188 is the tire installed by Forest River on my new Rockwood trailer.
It's a big disappointment to have questionable tires on my new toy.
And it's alarming to have had one blowout with no obvious cause in less than 1000 miles of use.

One reason I'm changing to Kumho's is because they're sold by Sears and also by Discount Tire. If they were problematic, neither big retailer would continue to sell them.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #45
Commercial Member

IMO
A tire that is made by a company that has no stores, is in all probability just a "container baby".
To me, as a tire engineer, "container babies" are just round & black tire like things that are designed with low cost as the primary goal with the only other objective to be maybe able to pass the minimum safety requirements published by DOT.
BUT in reality it is well known that DOT is very unlikely to ever test any "container baby" because volumes are so low as to avoid gaining the attention of the regulators even is there are failure rates that are 50 times higher than seen on tires made by established tire companies that are willing to put their company name on the tire.

Another tip off to the quality of any product is the length or the warranty. Tires made and sold by major manufacturers have multi-year warranty on their products. Why would anyone consider a tire with no warranty or no ability to receive warranty service as an acceptable item to trust or own.

I would never recommend that people knowingly use this type of bottom feeder tire on anything other than a wheel barrow, riding mower or maybe their Harbor Freight utility trailer that never sees speeds greater than 45 or travel distances of 10 miles or less.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 09-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
IMO
A tire that is made by a company that has no stores, is in all probability I would never recommend that people knowingly use this type of bottom feeder tire on anything other than a wheel barrow, riding mower or maybe their Harbor Freight utility trailer that never sees speeds greater than 45 or travel distances of 10 miles or less.
Agreed.
In my case I ordered my trailer from the factory and am new to RVing. Had I known FR would put on no name Chinese junk tires, I would have tried for an upgrade to the real thing. What's the cost increase to me? A couple hundred bucks is well worth it.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #47

Check-out this web site. It may answer some of the questions asked or pondered in this thread.

ST Tires
Old 09-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Visited the distributor's web site. Have sent email asking about warranty as they posted nothing about their coverage. Only meaningful info I found was a listing of sizes they offer. I noted that none of the Consistancy tires offer an "L" speed rating. In fact theit "information" page makes no mention of the speed rating of the tires.

Will see what info they provide.

I find the name interesting Consistancy is made with consistency

Maybe this is like Akurate brand that is accurately made
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 09-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
Nope. I've never seen a brick and mortar 'Constancy' dealer.

Constancy LY188 is the tire installed by Forest River on my new Rockwood trailer.
It's a big disappointment to have questionable tires on my new toy.
And it's alarming to have had one blowout with no obvious cause in less than 1000 miles of use.

One reason I'm changing to Kumho's is because they're sold by Sears and also by Discount Tire. If they were problematic, neither big retailer would continue to sell them.
I believe that Kumho also supplies Passenger type tires to OE car manufacturers so in my book that indicates that they at least know how to make good quality tires unlike some brands that are 6 months old , have no local brick & mortar outlets and may disappear from the marked after they make 10,000 tires. If you keep production volume low enough you will probably be under the radar of the DOT.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #50

Had china tires (st235/80 16) load range E. Checked the pressure before leaving home and got 25 miles when one blew out, right out the center of the tread. 2000 miles total on them. Got to our destination and picked up a spare (235/85 16 LT). Got home and replaced all 4 with Firestone LT truck tires. Looking at a new 5'er and told the salesman I would not purchase with chinese tires on it. Told me they can work something out. Every ST tire is chinese, and every one is junk in my opinion.

Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires