Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Papi

Continental Tires - Yea or Nea?

On my way to FL yesterday had a rear tire completely delaminate. I didn't know it at the time but when all Hell broke loose in the rear of the truck I didn't know whether the axle was bent...RV was messed up or what. RV made it fine, truck not so good. The tire never actually blew out but right now there's no tread left...spent last couple hundred yards running on belts. Any suggestions on replacements? I would not be averse to replacing both rear tires if it would be appropriate. Stats: 2011 Ford F-350 Diesel; Miles on truck and tires 12200 yes...twelve thousand!). Pin wt approx. 3000#; truck listed payload: 3940#. Current tire(s): Continental Contitrac LT275/65R18 Suggestions appreciated. Now back to drinking...
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Mine came with the Continentals ran them for four years with out a problem but only about 1600 miles towing.

Swapped them out for Coopers.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...948&vid=017988

Truck is just under 37,000 miles with about 5000 towing the Lite with no problems.

I had a deep dislike of the factory tires because they were worthless in the snow and ice.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Goodyear or Michelin.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Michelin on my truck. A little aggressive for summer but no problems in snow either, believe we had enough this year!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #5

What you have described is a typical tread separation without carcass failure. That's normally caused by under inflation or overloading or both.

That's a tire size normally found on a SRW dually. You need every bit of the tire's load capacity with that pin weight load in the truck bed. If you're not inflating those tires to 80 psi you probably caused the failure.

If the remaining tire was under inflated it also needs to be replaced.

I'm always blunt. Don't let it bother ya.

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Papi

Thumbs down Blunt is okay

Tires were checked by dealer recently before trip and all were inflated to correct pressure per them (rear was 80# as I recall. Pressure sensor had been going off at home (without towing) so I had it checled. No alarms during trip. Going to local Ford dealer here today to get his angle. Guess I'm in for an insurance claim...and darn deductible!! Thanks for tip!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

Yokohamas------Best riding and handling tires I ever had on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.....I replaced Michelins with them and have not used anything else in the last 5 years
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #8

Continentals NO!!!!! Yokohamas YES!!!

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Have had very good luck with Yokohama's myself. I run them on my half ton and my 3/4.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
TGR

I too have Continental tires on my SRW F350. I’ve lost 2 tires so far to road hazards, both were front tires at 65 psi, both happened while towing and neither failure caused additional damage.

The first tire was lost at about 15k miles when I must have hit something in the road. It caused a 1.5” tear through the tread and belts, which was visible on the inside and outside of the tire. The tire lost air and the tire sensor alarm went off before any tire separation occurred. The second tire, at 24,000 miles developed a slight separation after hitting a serious pothole in Atlanta this February while heading to Florida but this tire continued to function until I checked it out because of a slight out-of-balance feeling a few hundred miles later. I’m afraid I wouldn’t have noticed the slight vibration if the failure was on a rear tire. Had that tire been on the rear, it might have come apart while driving. By the way, the rear tire and Maxxis trailer tires hit the same pothole and seem none the worse for it.

There seems to be a good reason for each of my Continental failures so I’m not too concerned about the falling apart on their own.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

Had Continentals on my 2010 F-250 from factory. Rough riding and horrible in snow and mud. Just switched them out to Cooper AT/3. Huge difference, Cooper's are great in snow also
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookstone345sa View Post
Had Continentals on my 2010 F-250 from factory. Rough riding and horrible in snow and mud. Just switched them out to Cooper AT/3. Huge difference, Cooper's are great in snow also
I've NEVER seen a vehicle (car, truck, RV, or boat trailer) come with great tires from the factory. Once in a great while, the factory tires are good. But mostly fair-to-poor sorry excuses for tires.

Continental does make some good tires, as did Firestone before and after the Ford debacle. But the OEM tires are almost guaranteed to be worthless.

just my experiences, yours may differ
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #13

My vettes came with great tires; my Hummer H3 came with great tires. But I'll agree most don't and those two I mentioned are sort of unique.
My last two trucks came with crappy tires. However, after some complaining to GM, they replaced the tires on my 2015 Silverado, FOR FREE. They replaced the Goodyear SRAs with the Goodyear Adventure AT Kevlars.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
Tires were checked by dealer recently before trip and all were inflated to correct pressure per them (rear was 80# as I recall. Pressure sensor had been going off at home (without towing) so I had it checled. No alarms during trip. Going to local Ford dealer here today to get his angle. Guess I'm in for an insurance claim...and darn deductible!! Thanks for tip!
If you kept the failed tire you should turn it in to NHTSA for testing. IMO it wasn't a normal failure.

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires