Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

coupler on new TT has problems

When I picked up my new TT just two weeks ago they had a hard time getting the coupler to lock onto my WDH. They had to put a hydraulic auto style floor jack under the tongue then raise and lower the tongue to get the coupler to lock. I was not happy with this and stated that to the "delivery tech". He insisted that new couplers are sometimes hard to lock onto the ball with the paint on the inside of the coupler. I smelled some BS but I was ready to get home so I told him that IF this continued to be a problem I would be back and expected to be next in line when I drove in. After all it is a 90+ mile trip to the dealer for me. Two days after I picked up the unit we went on a previously planned trip and of course I had a hard time getting the latch on the coupler to set into place. Once we were at the campsite a friend we were camping with and I had to literally beat the latch and pry between the coupler and ball mount to get the unit to release. Hooking up to come home was not picnic either. Once I got home, on a nice concrete level driveway, I have raised and lowered the ball mount on the WDH, tilted the ball mount back and forth trying to find that "sweet spot" that would allow the coupler and the ball to latch together without beating on something. I have not found it yet. Odd thing to me is that I have an 18 foot cargo trailer that I pull with my WDH as set up for the old TT and never had a problem. So I've tried to hook up to the cargo trailer with this re-adjusted WDH and it will hook up just fine--NO problem. Just set the coupler on the ball and the latch will literally fall into place. With the help of my son I held the entire ball mount of the WDH in my hands (yes, it's heavy) and tried to get the TT to latch onto the ball. NO luck at any position. We still have to persuade the latch to go into place. I've looked up into the bottom of the coupler to see if anything looks amiss but everything looks fine. I've greased the ball and the inside of the coupler and this has not seemed to help. I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion that I can try before I go get it hitched up using persuasion and take it back to the dealer. That's my gas I'm burning, not his. Thanks
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Is the ball on your hitch the proper size for your new tt?

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's another thread to look over that may be of some help.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ems-61751.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If the ball is the correct size then maybe the coupler needs to be adjusted.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 PM   #5

coupler on new TT has problems

I have to place the ball forward of the middle of the coupler a bit otherwise it won't latch. In my ideal hitching the coupler hits the front of the ball on the way down and slides slightly over it. At this point the ball is in the front end of the coupler. If I drop it in the middle I then need to pull the truck forward a half inch(trailer tires chocked) to get the ball to the front of the coupler. Same goes for unlatching. Have to pull forward sometimes (trailer tires chocked). When I'm backing into a spot I try to make my last maneuver be pulling the trailer forward and that usually leaves the ball in the front of the coupler and then unhitching is a breeze.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

Exactly as stated above. Works every time.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
Exactly as stated above. Works every time.
Yep what he said That's talked about in the link I posted too.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Update: Yesterday (Sat.) my son and I worked on this some more. Yes, the ball is the correct size. NO, there is no adjustment with this coupler. I have seen those which have a nut one would loosen or tighten from the bottom of the coupler but not this one. We did try the method of having the ball tight against the front of the coupler also. No luck. Finally in desperation I totally removed the ball from the ball mount and tried to get the coupler to latch with me holding the ball with my hand--NO luck. We removed the ball from my son's truck (2 5/16") and tried this same method--NO luck. I'm convinced now that there is a problem with this coupler. The bad thing is that I am due to use this TT Thursday--Sunday with a couple of friends and the son to go to a car show/swap meet. If there was room in the camping area I would just leave the truck hooked to the TT, but there is not. I will have to disconnect and move the truck sideways in front of the TT. I will be calling the dealer Monday to complain and to make arrangements to take the TT back to them. I can't even imagine the thought of anyone having to remove the coupler and weld on a new one. Thanks for the suggestions and the link. Actually we did pull the pin for the WDH and pulled the TV away completely disconnecting the WDH from the truck. Without being able to lift the latch the ball stayed hung up in the coupler. Getting that 2" post of the WDH, while latched to the coupler, is not my idea of a Saturday day of fun.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Here's another thread to look over that may be of some help.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ems-61751.html
I've read through the above thread that was posted and since it is to old to reply to and this sounds like it could be the same problem, I was wondering if anyone has figured out why they mount some couplers on the top and some on the bottom on the same model? I'm asking because I'm currently looking at a new trailer that my dealer has on order and coming in any day now. I also noticed on his lot that some trailers (Same model different floor plans) had some on the top and some on the bottom. Should I be concerned if it comes in mounted on the bottom? This is a huge concern to me and I would be interested to know if there is any reason as to why they do this. I don't want to run into the same towing and hitching problem as the op. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
I've read through the above thread that was posted and since it is to old to reply to and this sounds like it could be the same problem, I was wondering if anyone has figured out why they mount some couplers on the top and some on the bottom on the same model? I'm asking because I'm currently looking at a new trailer that my dealer has on order and coming in any day now. I also noticed on his lot that some trailers (Same model different floor plans) had some on the top and some on the bottom. Should I be concerned if it comes in mounted on the bottom? This is a huge concern to me and I would be interested to know if there is any reason as to why they do this. I don't want to run into the same towing and hitching problem as the op. Any info would be appreciated.
I say go ahead and reply to that thread if you feel the need.

Wonder if couplers top or bottom depends on the height of frame or ground clearance.
Honestly, I dont think top or bottom had or has anything to do with why there was a prob unhitching or hitching.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
In regards to the (OP) as well as your Q I think he wil be in the same boat as Member (ChasFirth?) who had a Dealer/FR cut off and replace his Couplers (Top and Bottom Mount) SEVERAL TIMES!! Youroo!! This was on a (Windjammer/V-Lite) style unit,They come with (Top and Bottom) mount couplers,and you Never know which type will be on the Frame!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We had the same problem. Was explained to us NOT by our dealer but by a hich installer, that trailer frames may site outside for a year before they are used. They get corrosion and/or rust. We had to spray the coupler with LOTS of WD40 and took another ball and worked it sound A LOT! Finally the hitch coupler worked and set with the ball.

OH PS I may add when the dealer hooked up our trailer for the FIRST time they tried to HAMMER it into place. I yrlled at them amd told them that WAS NOT the way it was done. Needless to say we NO LONGER take our Rv to them for service work. (RV World of Georgia in Buford Ga... BEWARE!!)

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #13

Spray the inside of the coupler with carb cleaner use a 2" wire brush in a drill and scrub it good.

Coat the ball and hitch with a thin coat of moly lube.