Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #1

Cracked frame!

We just picked up our new surveyor, we have a 2007 crossroads zinger that we were using as a trade in. During the inspection by the dealer they noticed that the frame had hairline cracks where the axels are attached to the frame. There are cross members welded where the shackles are attached to the frame. The dealer thinks that the cross members don't allow the frame to move during turns and the frame only flexes at the bottom inch or so which has caused the cracks. They obviously didn't take the trailer as part of the deal and we are now going to deal with it through insurance. The dealer said there is no way it should be taken out on the road as it could fail at anytime or it could be fine for years. Has anyone had or heard of this issue before? Kind of a scary thought losing your axels on the way to the next camp site. The cracks are very hard to see and if they weren't pointed out I would have thought the paint was cracked if I even noticed it. Thanks for any info anyone could share.
Nomadbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadbakers
We just picked up our new surveyor, we have a 2007 crossroads zinger that we were using as a trade in. During the inspection by the dealer they noticed that the frame had hairline cracks where the axels are attached to the frame. There are cross members welded where the shackles are attached to the frame. The dealer thinks that the cross members don't allow the frame to move during turns and the frame only flexes at the bottom inch or so which has caused the cracks. They obviously didn't take the trailer as part of the deal and we are now going to deal with it through insurance. The dealer said there is no way it should be taken out on the road as it could fail at anytime or it could be fine for years. Has anyone had or heard of this issue before? Kind of a scary thought losing your axels on the way to the next camp site. The cracks are very hard to see and if they weren't pointed out I would have thought the paint was cracked if I even noticed it. Thanks for any info anyone could share.
I would have a reputable welding shop clean, notch, gusset and weld cracks back up and sell privately showing any potential buyer that it was professionally done and made better.
You'll most likely get more money out of it versus trading.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

The dealer said that in Manitoba you can't do any repairs to the frame. They will write it off because it won't pass safety inspection. I still have to bring it in and see what the insurance company has to say.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadbakers View Post
The dealer said that in Manitoba you can't do any repairs to the frame. They will write it off because it won't pass safety inspection. I still have to bring it in and see what the insurance company has to say.
I could be wrong, but I think your dealer is clueless.
You cannot weld on the new high-tensile auto frames, but the frames under campers are just pig iron, and there is all kinds of welding on them from the factory.

And as for his statement;
"The dealer thinks that the cross members don't allow the frame to move during turns"
well, that is simply ridiculous. The frame is not supposed to "move" at any time.
I haven't had much luck with RV dealers. Just curious, which one was it?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Ditto f1100turbo.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Any chance that you could post a picture?

I would think that the shackle is mounted to tubing which is welded to the I beam. Any crossing bracing would also be attached to the tubing. Worse case would be the replacing of the tubing that the shackle is mounted to. This wouldn't be a big job for a frame repair shop.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #7

I will try and get a pic on. It's the I-beams that have the crack in them. I'm bringing into be looked at next week.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

I am with f1100turbo. I have a gooseneck. That has the angles on the neck butt welded and they used a piece of diamond plate steel cut in the shape of a diamond and welded on as a fish plate. Looks really good and prof. with the diamond tread out and all.
I would use 7018 rod or mig weld it as 6011 has a higher tensil strength but is very brittle.
I work in the collision industry so I also have heard of some states that will total vehicles when they have too much frame damage such as Texas but there is an allowable amount of damage that is able to be repaired but it varies with each manufacurer.
You may call crossroad and find out who their chassie manuf. Is and see what they recomend. The chassie may be under warranty still also? Some components have longer warrantys than others
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Good to know, I will alSo call cross roads, I bring the trailer in this week. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for all the advise
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

You were right, I took it Into the insurance company and they will not touch it. The cracks are from turning which is what the dealer said as well as two different inspectors. They said they can't do anything about it as it's not an accident it's a manufacturing issue. They did say it won't be an issue to weld plates over the area affected, it's totally acceptable. They also said the cracks are so small they Most likly have been there for a few years and even if you didnt weld the plates over it would be fine. I will be in contact with the manufacure and see what they say. I should be near a computer in the next week so I will try and get a picture posted.
It looks like the cracks are caused from when you are turning, the wheels flex causing the shackles to flex and over time caused the frame to crack. The cracks are right above each shackle and the dealer and inspectors said the shackes are long making them more prone to flexing? One inspector said they are getting more and more issues with trailers as they are making them lighter and lighter using thinner metals and materials. He said they are trying to make all these big trailers half ton towable but are sacrificing important things like frames in order to make them lighter. Call me silly! but when I buy a trailer there is a good chance I will have to turn at some point with it and Im hoping it wouldn't crack a frame rail by doing so. Finally they also said to ask around if anyone has a zinger and look at the frame as this is a manufacturing issue there might be a recall if there are enough calls about it.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #11

Jamey, I have a 2013 Wildwood X-Lite. Just bought it used. I wonder if the previous owner knew the frame is cracked, or roof leaking. I'm new to trailering. My other camper was a Cadillac hearse camper built by my father. Lippert's Dan Collins is sending me the frame repair plates, no charge. Another Lippert rep said FR is responsible for the failure as they engineered the frame. Lippert manufactures to their specs. I just completed a report to the NHTSA. Not sure it will do any good. This is a big deal for those who have to repair a factory defect regardless of who is responsible.
dkarr is offline   Reply With Quote