Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Question Crown under coating - drop belly pan?

I have a new fiver being delivered to McKenzie Trailers in the next couple of weeks. The trailer is a 42' Heritage Glen and it is a long term trailer for my retirement. I am thinking of having the frame, running gear and jacks treated with Crown undercoating to protect against road salt.
Looking for advice, is it worth having them drop the belly pan so they can coat all the steel under the belly pan? Should i be concerned about future warranty if the dealer notices that the belly pan has been dropped in the past?

Thanks .. Jeff
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

My experience with rust proofed cars here in Montreal indicates that the frame, suspension, etc. are not the first failures due to road salt. The thinner body panels will rust long before the thicker parts. That's normally where the techs focus on coverage. So think about what other parts of your new TT might be likely to rust. The usual brown colour on suspension parts after a few years is not structurally dangerous..

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #3

I have Krown on my 2015 Ram laramie and it's the best undercoating/rust resistant coating made. I should mention that we had out truck done in May (St Louis) and it dripped for a couple of weeks. This is normal as the Krown material is sprayed in a mist to get in every crack and crevices. It takes a while for the "carrier" to evaporate leaving the rust protection material behind. Because of this, I would recommend you only do the external metal parts and do not drop the "bottom". When you get it you'll find your trailer is very well sealed on the bottom and if there are any places when the "bottom" that has an access flap cut into it, seal it up with Gorilla tape (black will match the "bottom" material). I feel dropping the "bottom would be a waste of time and essentially make a bit of a mess as it would drip onto the enclosed bottom cover. Don't forget to place some cardboard/tarp or other expendable item under the trailer when you park it so you don't drip on your driveway/concrete if it's applicable!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote