Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #11

If they are using a short 'acorn' nut, that may explain the short studs, as our studs would bottom out with acorn nuts before tightening the wheel.
Maybe the factory started ordering the short studs before changing to the new acorn nuts?
Personally, I don't like the acorn-style nuts unless they are the deep version, as the amount of threads engaged on the stud can be diminished, and the only way to check for full engagement is to measure the threads inside the nuts and the amount of threads available with the wheel in place.
Aluminum wheels are notorious for coming loose, and they need all of the holding power possible. The aluminum wheels on my new Dodge require 130 ft-lbs of torque, which is a heck of a lot. I can only assume it is because they tend to loosen the lug nuts unless really, really tight.
And the more torque, the more threads needed to withstand the force.

Quite often, things are simply not engineered correctly.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Jack of All Trades

Repeat-Repeat-Repeat - Say it Enough Times Maybe Someone Will Believe It

This so-called "problem" has been discussed in at least three hijacked threads and valid answers and corrective action has been obtained from PT, the chasis and wheel manufacturer.

If it bothers you so much, correct it yourself. You yourself stated that you can get a set of lug-nuts for $24 - compared to the cost of most repaits on a TT, that's cheap.

Moderator - Lets lay all this to rest and close the threads where it is being discussed - particularly the threads that were hijacked from people wanting and needing real help.

ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
This so-called "problem" has been discussed in at least three hijacked threads and valid answers and corrective action has been obtained from PT, the chasis and wheel manufacturer.

If it bothers you so much, correct it yourself. You yourself stated that you can get a set of lug-nuts for $24 - compared to the cost of most repaits on a TT, that's cheap.

Moderator - Lets lay all this to rest and close the threads where it is being discussed - particularly the threads that were hijacked from people wanting and needing real help.
Rick, let's see how this thread plays out. I am not going to take any actions at this time.

I don't see where this thread has been hijacked. All responses have been related to lug nut problems.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I would be a little leery if the studs did not protrude a little past the lug nut in this case. Even in the case of acorn nuts that Crocus refers to, I would want the lug nuts at least extend 75% into the nut......and the studs are much longer than those shone in the OP.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote