Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Crusader 270 RET

New Unit purchased in Nov. 2011...check out this photo and tell me what's wrong...yep, bolts do not come all the way through the lug nuts...suspect the hubs may be intended for steel wheels and not the aluminum ones on our 270 RET Crusader 5'er Coach..Anyone else have this problem on your Crusader...Dealership says this condition is OKAY....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lug nuts one.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	10369   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120001.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	10370  

Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

No, mine are all the way thru the nuts. I would contact Primetime and E-mail the pics. I had my brother turn my 4-way lug wrench so it would fit into the hub bores. It looks like our floor plan ( 270ret ) has been discontinued as per PT's web site????

Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

It might be "ok", but far from ideal. If you have a good torque wrench, keep an eye on them. After a thousand miles or so, if they don't loosen off, you should be fine.
But it does make you wonder about the factory's quality control.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #4

Nuts

Most everyone I've spoken with say this is not correct...mechanics, truck owners all say the same. Myself, I have been an automobile restoration nut for over forty years, have also worked many airplanes and never would I let anything get out the door in this condition. We are planning on taking this new rig to Alaska next year and I fear with the road conditions that we may encounter there, would spell trouble for this rig as is today!
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
It might be "ok", but far from ideal. If you have a good torque wrench, keep an eye on them. After a thousand miles or so, if they don't loosen off, you should be fine.
But it does make you wonder about the factory's quality control.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

Oh, I agree it is not right. And I noticed that you posted on another thread that one of your studs had broken off. I'd say that is a pretty good indication that it is an unsafe condition. I would demand they replace all of the studs with the proper length. I believe the studs are supposed to stick out at least half the diameter of the stud. That ensures that all of the threads are engaged, and there is no possibility of bending the studs, which would lead to breakage.
How do these things get by their quality control?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that would be acceptable in a vehicle safety inspection, why would it be acceptable for a camper?

The studs have to be long enough so the nuts are fully engaged.

PTM should be paying for the studs to be replace at your local dealer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Studs

I would agree..if I knew someone here in the Atlanta Georgia area to have it inspected, I would call them..
Thanks..
I refuse to take it out of the driveway until its fixed...
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Wheels

Was wondering, do you have a photo of your wheels that are installed on your unit...the wheels differ from 011 to 012..ours is an 011 unit...what is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
No, mine are all the way thru the nuts. I would contact Primetime and E-mail the pics. I had my brother turn my 4-way lug wrench so it would fit into the hub bores. It looks like our floor plan ( 270ret ) has been discontinued as per PT's web site????
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Those are different wheels than we have, but the hub area looks very similar. Your studs appear to not extend out of the wheel nut holes in the hub, whereas ours are much longer, and have about a half inch of threads sticking out of the lug nuts. And we have similar-sized lug nuts.
I still think there is something wrong with yours, especially if you have broken a stud already. I would demand they change the studs, and definitely pay for the labor to install them. Don't accept any bs that it "should" be safe.
And as they have to pull the hubs, make sure they put new grease seals in the hubs before reassembly.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #10

Lugs and Nut Issue

No doubt we can get this corrected in due time....the Crusader coach for 2011 has a different wheel than the 2012 models. The 2012's have an acron type lug nut, ours have a regular lug nut that is covered by a Center Cap....
Thanks for you info...appreciate your imput to our post..
We are looking forward to the summer and getting on the road...Currently making some improvements in the interior lighting...step lights on the interior and exterior..love LED's...
LKicklight