Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

Cummins Oil Life

Cummins says not to do it, but I'm wondering about extending the TIME part of oil change intervals (not the MILEAGE part) by using a good synthetic oil.

I will be (maybe) be putting 5K miles per year on my new coach. Cummins says either 9000 or 12000 between changes depending upon the oil pan capacity (apparently the 340 has two different possible capacities and the only way to know is check by engine S/N with Cummins).

So with the cost of changing oil on these beasts, I was hoping to just pay attention to the miles and forget the time by using something like Mobil1. What ya think, gang?? Asking for trouble??

Boowho??

Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

change it once a year if under ten thousand miles .

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

I own a 2001 Dodge 3500 4x4 with 175K miles on it. I have owned it since new. 12 years now. I have had my Cummins upgraded from Dynamite Diesel over the years. They race their trucks. Lenny (the owner) told me to use dino oil,not synthetic. Diesels add carbon to your oil as they run, so at some point with too many miles, you end up with the oil not doing its job and wearing out your valves.

I change my truck oil more than recommended since I think it is cheap insurance for wear.

I would recommend you google synthetic oils in cummins and see what other people say.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Jon
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #4

DieselRam.com
Come on over and ask away.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #5

Oil's cheaper than engines
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Head Rambler

The best way to decide, is to have an analysis run on the oil every 6 months or so and use that to determine when it should be changed. The added benefit is that it will also give you a look into the health of the engine.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
daydreaming about camping

There are a ton of great forums devoted to the Cummins Turbo Diesel. That is the best place to get info like this.

As a diesel owner, and past Cummins owner, and hopeful future Cummins owner, I would recomend Valvoline Premium Blue, which is what the factory filled my Cummins with, and I would never leave it in there for more than 12 months.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Celia View Post
I own a 2001 Dodge 3500 4x4 with 175K miles on it. I have owned it since new. 12 years now. I have had my Cummins upgraded from Dynamite Diesel over the years. They race their trucks. Lenny (the owner) told me to use dino oil,not synthetic. Diesels add carbon to your oil as they run, so at some point with too many miles, you end up with the oil not doing its job and wearing out your valves.

I change my truck oil more than recommended since I think it is cheap insurance for wear.

I would recommend you google synthetic oils in cummins and see what other people say.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Jon
I'm running a 2006 Cummins 5.9. Been changing out the dino oil (Shell Rotella T) every 10000 km (6200 miles) since I've owned it. I bought the truck with 61000 km on it 3 years ago, now sitting at 175000 km.

The reason I've went with Rotella T is that I can get it (usually on sale) in a 20 liter pail (truck takes 11 liters) and it's more cost effective to buy the pail.

But by changing out at regular intervals (10000 km) I keep fresher oil going in/coming out of the engine. I'm hoping that it will be cheap insurance to keep the Cummins running for a very long time.

I would like to think that if you didn't do as many km's over the course of the year, somehow someway there is still a way for condensation to get into your engine throughout the year and dilute the oil. My hunting buddy who had virtually the same truck as me doesn't put on the same amount of km's as I do, but still does a spring & fall oil change, whether it hits the km mark or not...

At the price of replacing an engine, I would say that changing oil twice a year (at a minimum) is cheaper; best not to take the risk?

Good luck on your decision.

J.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The best way to decide, is to have an analysis run on the oil every 6 months or so and use that to determine when it should be changed. The added benefit is that it will also give you a look into the health of the engine.
I like your answer the best...... I've been given that same advice by several others locally.

To everyone, thanks for the advice; Based upon what you've all said, I would not go beyond the Cummins recommendation WITHOUT oil analysis.

Boowho??