Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Damage from dealer to new 5th Wheel!

So I have been working they getting a few things fixed in my trailer. As I was having some issues how one item was going to get resolved I call and I am told by the service advisor that the sidewinder got hit and bent it a little. I drive 45 mins to find out they didn't install the pin and "jack knifed" my Reese Sidewinder and it is stuck. They actually did it to the opposite side because I noticed a dent last time I camped and it matches up perfectly to other dent. I said I want the entire hitch replaced, but what about the dents to the frame? What do I do or expect from them other than the new hitch??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4261.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	141165

Name:	IMG_4259.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	141166

Name:	IMG_4256.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	141167

Name:	IMG_4254.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	141168
Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

If it was mine they would be replacing everything but that is just me.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
If it was mine they would be replacing everything but that is just me.

I believe the pin box is welded to the frame? Not sure how feasible to replace it.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

Ouch!! I had a similar experience with a dealer in Tucson. They tried moving with a forklift without putting the pins in the sidewinder and bent the corner like yours and also the actual king pin floating plate (airborne version with the air bag, like yours). They replaced the whole hitch, turret, and they had an excellent welder on staff that cut off the welded hitch attachment plates and replaced them. That was 5 years ago and we have had no problems.

Now if I ever leave it for work to be done, I put in the pins and attach red flags so I remember to remove them when I pick it up

I would call my insurance, send them the pics, and get them involved if you don't feel the dealership is addressing​ this completely. The adjuster should be able to see if any other damage was done that might need to be addressed. When this type of accident occurs, they can also drop the rig on the front jacks when they realize what is happening, so check those out also. They replaced a footpad on one of our front levelup jacks.

Your insurance will work with their insurance and you shouldn't have a problem with your rates going up as your insurance will not have paid.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ouch!! I had a similar experience with a dealer in Tucson. They tried moving with a forklift without putting the pins in the sidewinder and bent the corner like yours and also the actual king pin floating plate (airborne version with the air bag, like yours). They replaced the whole hitch, turret, and they had an excellent welder on staff that cut off the welded hitch attachment plates and replaced them. That was 5 years ago and we have had no problems.

Now if I ever leave it for work to be done, I put in the pins and attach red flags so I remember to remove them when I pick it up

I would call my insurance, send them the pics, and get them involved if you don't feel the dealership is addressing​ this completely. The adjuster should be able to see if any other damage was done that might need to be addressed. Usually when this type of accident occurs, they also drop the rig on the front jacks, so check those out also. They replaced a footpad on one of our front levelup jacks.

Your insurance will work with their insurance and you shouldn't have a problem with your rates going up as your insurance will not have paid.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

Thanks for the reply.

Ouch, i dont believe there is anything on the front landing gear. Not sure what the king pin floating plate is. They didnt question replacing the entire side winder hitch, as i have air as well. My questions is a dent in the pin box hurting anything, other than my pride of them messing up my brand new trailer?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #6

I don't know what you really call it, but it's the hinged plate that the actual kingpin is on. It floats up and down with the air bag. They bent the edges of it when it fell off the forklift

They decided to replace the pin box plates as the certified welder felt like the original welds to the frame were more than likely cracked, and the plates were slightly warped from the impact. Why take a chance.

I would definitely get an unbiased expert to look at it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #7

Your suggestion of involving his insurance adjuster is a good one.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #8

The repairs that NMwikdcat said are what they want to do. The dealer is Camping World. I was going to pick it up and take it to elsewhere but decided the liability then goes to someone else and not the ones who did it. Question is should they compensate for me having to deal with this, or fix it and I'm good. I do have a repaired trailer.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I don't know what you really call it, but it's the hinged plate that the actual kingpin is on. It floats up and down with the air bag. They bent the edges of it when it fell off the forklift

They decided to replace the pin box plates as the certified welder felt like the original welds to the frame were more than likely cracked, and the plates were slightly warped from the impact. Why take a chance.

I would definitely get an unbiased expert to look at it.
If it fell off the forklift. Do you need to inspect the landing legs and associated parts? Idnk. ...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
If it fell off the forklift. Do you need to inspect the landing legs and associated parts? Idnk. ...

I did some, it seems to be physically in tack. I am not sure if it fell off but jack knifed.

Tags
5th wheel, dealer, wheel