Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
2006 Georgetown 340

Dealer using leveling system to change brakes?

I took our 06 FR Georgetown into the dealer today to change the oil and check the brakes. As you could predict, the dealer "recommended" a $1300 rear brake job. He said it was not at a critical point but that the rotors should be replaced due to age/starting to crack. I didn't see any cracking but anyway, I when I was there I noticed that he was using the leveling system to basically jack up the rear end to take all tires off the unit. That was on Thursday and as of now, they are still working on it and it is still on the leveling stands. In my Lippert manual it says not to lift the unit with all tires off the ground.

My question is, is this doing any damage to the leveling components?

Thank you in advance!
compint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #2

Seems strange to raise unit off ground when you can only change one brake rotor at a time. I will not allow a dealer or any one to jack my trailer using the leveling system.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #3

The HWH leveler system in my Itasca pusher is rated to lift the full weight of the rig. They don't want you to lift the rear off the ground only because of safety - only the rear wheels are locked when in "Park" position.

I chock the front wheels fully, then lift the rear for under-engine work.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

They can very well be doing damage to the leveling system, as your manual states the levelers are not designed to take the full weight of lifting the tires off the ground. The ram and/or pump seals may being weakened, the hydraulic motor may be getting some overheating. The real issue becomes that everything may seam ok when you pick up the unit when they are done and down the road the system fails due to abusive use and guess what they will say they didn't hurt a thing and OH what a coinsidence it was working just fine when you picked it up.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 AM   #5

as Bluepill said also, with no wheels on ground, you have no park. Since a shop floor is level, no issue there. The system is holding 95% of the weight even when the wheels are still touching the ground so it absolutely can take the whole weight. Did you see anyting wrong with brakes since you didn't see anything wrong with rotors?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, dealer, leveling