Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Always Learning

Question Determining if axles moved?

So, bear with my hand-drawing here since I'm not at the camper to take a picture:

Name:   Wheels-Wheel Chock.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  19.3 KB

In this:
- the yellow is the road
- the black are the tires/wheels
- the red/pink is the wheel skirt
- the green blobs are the wheel chocks

When we got setup at one of our stops, we found that it almost seems like on the passenger side, the wheels are sitting higher up under the wheel skirts than they used to be. Meaning, the triangle of space where the between-the-wheel chock (RotoChok) goes in has gotten smaller.

It was usually fairly close, but cleared just fine. Now, I literally have to pull the wheel skirt outward a bit to slide the chock up under the skirt to get it between the upper part of the wheel. The driver's side still fits like it always did.

Unfortunately, I'm not where the camper is, but, I am thinking that I'll get under the camper and try to measure from somewhere on the axle to the frame on either side and see if they match. If they're different, I'll try to look for anything on the axles that looks amiss.

I've pulled it a good 1,000+ miles like this and haven't noticed anything different with the towing experience- but it definitely doesn't seem right.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Since you have a 5th wheel, you should try and get your camper weighed with emphasis on the load on each camper axle.

Your aft wheel set (rear axle) could be carrying more of a load than your front ones. With Torsion axles, this will result in additional deflection of the rear axle and your tire spacing will decrease.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000_35F.pdf (79.2 KB, 32 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Since you have a 5th wheel, you should try and get your camper weighed with emphasis on the load on each camper axle.

Your aft wheel set (rear axle) could be carrying more of a load than your front ones. With Torsion axles, this will result in additional deflection of the rear axle and your tire spacing will decrease.
He has spring suspension and the equalizer walking beam.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
He has spring suspension and the equalizer walking beam.
I do have a spring suspension and this "equalizer walking beam" - is that the Lippert EqualFlex suspension?
Equa-Flex - Suspension Enhancement

I know that the one time I weighed my axles split on pads, they were within 20 pounds of each other. I can weigh it again, their is a scale house about 15 minutes from here that I've used before.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Always Learning

I guess my original hope for this post was suggestions on what/how to measure or specific things to look for.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Passenger side of the road can be a bit rougher - so the springs on that side may be getting soft, bent, or there could even be a broken one.

Have you noticed this at multiple locations or just one?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Passenger side of the road can be a bit rougher - so the springs on that side may be getting soft, bent, or there could even be a broken one.

Have you noticed this at multiple locations or just one?
Multiple locations. We saw it at, at least, 2 or 3 different campgrounds and on the road in front of my in-laws house.

I am certain that the camper and axles (collectively) are not overloaded- even with the weight of this last trip. Believe it or not, I actually weighed mid-trip when we moved from Florida to Alabama (just a single weighing of truck + camper).
Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

I would look for worn shackles, shackle bolts, etc. If you do not have "wet" bolts (those that can be lubed), they can be worn and should be replaced with "wet" bolts. Look very closely also for a broken leaf in the springs. Also measure from eye to eye on all the springs. The measurement should all be within 1/8" of each other. Measure with the wheels on the ground.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would look for worn shackles, shackle bolts, etc. If you do not have "wet" bolts (those that can be lubed), they can be worn and should be replaced with "wet" bolts. Look very closely also for a broken leaf in the springs. Also measure from eye to eye on all the springs. The measurement should all be within 1/8" of each other. Measure with the wheels on the ground.
Ok, help me out a little:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Springs.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	60293

I also have these other pictures from last year when I changed the tires on the camper:

Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Any chance that the side where the distance between the wheel is less was pulled up on blocks to level? I noticed the same thing when pulling onto the blocks...the center link allows the axles to move fore/aft when making that kind of maneuver or turning. From what I've read in the LCI instructions for Correct Track alignment, the camper has to be on level ground. If the camper was backed up, it has to be pulled ahead at least one full tire rotation before alignment of axles can be checked.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Always Learning

The first time we noticed this, that side WAS on blocks.

Since then, the passenger side has been our high side or we haven't blocked it up at all (such as the road in front of my in-laws).

I haven't actually checked measurements yet- I couldn't do it yesterday and am working so far this morning (plus, it's raining bucket loads- I hope I can go out at lunch to check things out some).
Old 08-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Always Learning

I took a series of measurements and can't find anything that is noticeably wrong.

I measured the distance for each pack of springs between the bolts that they're connected with. These all matched exactly- maybe 1/16" of an inch off or less, but they seemed very close as far as I could tell.

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	60429

The one passenger side set of springs seemed "flatter" than the others. I wasn't on level ground, the camper is parked on the road in front of my house which has a good bit of slope from the center of the road to the side for drainage. I was parked "with the road/in the correct direction of travel" - meaning, the passenger side was the low side and adjacent to the sidewalk.

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	60430

Included are the springs for the driver's side (I think) for reference. It's hard to see, but does look like their is more curve to it.

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	60432

I also measured from the top of the plate above the springs to the underside of the camper. This was a best guess measurement as I have the corrugated underbelly. This measured with the passenger side seemingly having less space than the driver's side by about a 1/4" to 1/2". Passenger side measured out at about 5 3/8" both front and rear where the driver's side was 5 3/4" on the front and 5 5/8" on the rear.

I measured from the top of the axle to the frame. This again was a best guess as I had to angle the tape measure a bit and was incredibly awkward to get to everything. This measured with the passenger side seemingly having less space again by 1/4" to 1/2". Passenger side measured at about 8 5/8" on the front and 8 7/16" on the rear was 9" front and 8 13/16" rear.

I measured across the equalizer from the top bolt that connected to the springs to the bottom bolt. Each of these measurements were the same.

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	60435

I didn't see any kind of scuffing that would indicate that bolts shifted.

OldCoot, I don't know if I have wet bolts or not or even where/what the shackles are.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It was usually fairly close, but cleared just fine. Now, I literally have to pull the wheel skirt outward a bit to slide the chock up under the skirt to get it between the upper part of the wheel. The driver's side still fits like it always did.Thoughts?
Apologies if this is a dumb question - but could it just be the wheel skirt is warping inwards maybe after some sun exposure?

Have you checked if the wheels are the same distance apart (hub to hub) on each side?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Apologies if this is a dumb question - but could it just be the wheel skirt is warping inwards maybe after some sun exposure?

Have you checked if the wheels are the same distance apart (hub to hub) on each side?
Honestly, I haven't checked that or even thought about the idea that the wheel skirt simply warped.

I'll plan for it tonight.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Always Learning

I never did find a problem. When my camper went back to the factory again this February, I asked them to take a look at it. They said the differences were within spec but went ahead and replaced the EquaFlex suspension thing any way.

It's definitely not the wheel skirt.

---

I definitely have something wonky going on. The passenger side tires are now under 1" from each other (compared to the driver's side where there is almost 2"). And the Rotochocks are impossible to fit in.

Here is the backside of the passenger side tires:

(Note, this shows the passenger side up on blocks. That was at the last campground and I noticed the spacing after we left there and stopped at a rest area for lunch on fairly level ground in a truck parking spot.)

Versus the backside of the driver's side tires:

What's surprising to me is that last picture of the driver's side (which isn't my problem side) appears to have very flat leaf springs.

--

My weights on the axles are:
- Passenger front, 2930
- Passenger rear, 3400
- Driver's side front, 3,400
- Driver's side rear, 3,500

---

I guess the question now is- who do I get to take a look at something like this and how do I find a reputable repair shop while I'm on the road?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #16

First thing I notice is the equalizer is at different angles. That accounts for most of the difference.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
First thing I notice is the equalizer is at different angles. That accounts for most of the difference.

Sorry, I barely know what I'm looking at here...

Should that move as we park? Or is it simply installed at an angle?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

First thing to do is to measure from front bracket to center bracket to rear bracket on the FRAME. They should be the same on both sides.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #19

I've noticed that the distance between my wheels varies depending on a couple of things. One being if I drive one side up on blocks. Another is if i had to make a hard turn to get the camper set up on the site. Right now I have probably 3/4" difference between the wheels just from going over the concrete apron into my driveway at an angle.

To check, hook up and drive straight on a level parking lot. Stop gently and park. Now check the difference. I'll bet you're ok.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I've noticed that the distance between my wheels varies depending on a couple of things. One being if I drive one side up on blocks. Another is if i had to make a hard turn to get the camper set up on the site. Right now I have probably 3/4" difference between the wheels just from going over the concrete apron into my driveway at an angle.

To check, hook up and drive straight on a level parking lot. Stop gently and park. Now check the difference. I'll bet you're ok.

Ok, so each time I looked there was some backing up involved (even at the truck stop- I overshot the space and backed up).

Tags
axle