Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
This is the system I have, thats why I dont get the overloading and blowing seals that keeps getting put forth

Unless people are getting this and bearing buddys mixed up
I didn't know there was a difference. I have beating buddy's on my open utility trailer, that were installed by my buddy the original owner, and I greased those all the time, but there are no brakes. When I bought my WnP I just assumed the zerks were the same thing. So then do easy lube axles allow for the excess or old to come out the front and that's what I'm seeing, or is it the bearing buddys? I know on my utility trailer, I always end up with grease on my rims. How can I determine if mine are Easy Lube? I assume from here that they are, since my 275ULSBS is a 2014.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #102

Bearing buddy uses grease behind spring
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	148320

Name:	IMG_4268.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	148321

Ez lube grease passes through axle stub to rear of hub and flows to outside

Name:	IMG_4267.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	148323
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #103

Quote:
How can I determine if mine are Easy Lube? I assume from here that they are, since my 275ULSBS is a 2014.
Watch the 2 minute movie

https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I know, it is all these other guys who have NO idea how badly they are harming their wheels by over greasing them.

Sometimes I feel like I am trying to teach a pig to sing..............
All I am accomplishing is to waste my time....and annoy the pig
Apparently you find it your calling to set everyone straight. Perhaps you should call Dexter and tell them they're WRONG.

Give it a break (or brake if you prefer). No grease is "trapped" in the E-Z Lube system. When the voids are filled the excess grease merely gets pushed out around the zerk and out the access hole.

JUST LIKE IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL.

Like I said a dozen or more posts ago, they're your axles so do as you wish with them. Others have been using the E-Z Lube system since they came out and it works just fine -if you read the instructions.

PS, I've worked in the automotive industry since 1961 (retired 12 years) and have always encountered those who "know better". Not just a mechanic but one with an engineering background and time consulting with manufacturers of vehicles as well as aftermarket service equipment I lived and breathed Tires, Brakes, Axles, Steering components, from 1972 to 2004, having dealt with these issues all the way from a shop to a Corporate Office. Rest assured if this system was creating all the mass havoc you claim, Dexter would have pulled the offering long ago.

Wait until you buy an RV with Sealed Bearings. What are you going to do then?

I think everyone has heard your opinion so no need to jump on every post where someone's had excellent results just following the instructions.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #105

Very well said !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #106
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Apparently you find it your calling to set everyone straight. Perhaps you should call Dexter and tell them they're WRONG.

Give it a break (or brake if you prefer). No grease is "trapped" in the E-Z Lube system. When the voids are filled the excess grease merely gets pushed out around the zerk and out the access hole.

Like I said a dozen or more posts ago, they're your axles so do as you wish with them. Others have been using the E-Z Lube system since they came out and it works just fine -if you read the instructions.

PS, I've worked in the automotive industry since 1961 (retired 12 years) and have always encountered those who "know better". Not just a mechanic but one with an engineering background and time consulting with manufacturers of vehicles as well as aftermarket service equipment I lived and breathed Tires, Brakes, Axles, Steering components, from 1972 to 2004, having dealt with these issues all the way from a shop to a Corporate Office. Rest assured if this system was creating all the mass havoc you claim, Dexter would have pulled the offering long ago.

I think everyone has heard your opinion so no need to jump on every post where someone's had excellent results just following the instructions.
Amen
Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #107

Quote:

Thank you, and yes if there were issues with them over the years, they wouldnt be an option still today.

I will continue to use mine like I have been for years, and my next new trailer with the same system. And without the issues he has said.

These were created so you didnt have to spend an entire day manually cleaning and repacking bearings by hand (which I have done on old trailers)

I know how to do it the old way, and I will gladly use this new and improved way, since it saves me hours of work
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #108
Site Team

MODERATOR'S NOTE

The forum is for the exchange of information, there are over 85,000 members so there will most certainly be different opinions. State your opinion and move on. Calling out other members for having a differing opinion will result in the thread most likely being closed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #109

Thank you. This one has totally gotten out of hand!
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #110

Quote:

Actually my only intent was to save someone else from having the problems I discovered in both the most recent campers I have purchased and was lucky enough to catch the problems before they became catastrophic.

And if you think about it, you are making my point for me that more grease is not needed. Sealed bearings have no way to add additional grease and there is actually very little in there with no way to add more every year. They last a Long long time. Id LOVE to have them!

But I think I am doing the same as if I were trying to teach a pig to sing...
All I am accomplishing is to waste my time and to annoy the pig!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #111
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

FOLKS, I ran out of popcorn. See Ya!!!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLMRPh View Post
What exact grease do you all use? And what kind of jack do you use? I'm a girl and a pharmacist .... not a mechanic! But I am pretty good being a "handy woman" if I know exactly what to do and have the right tools (and good You Tube videos!) ... although I'm not quite picturing myself jacking up my camper. . I have molybdenum grease I used with my brand new grease gun on my Blu Ox hitch zerks! [emoji51]
I'm not a girl but am a pharmacist and can tell you it is very easy to do. Lots of videos on the internet show you how to do it. Once you do it you'll be upset when you realize how much money an RV dealership charges to do it. If you want to do it right, do it yourself.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
as a matter of fact, yes..........I purchased my last two campers used. The first one had so much grease pumped into the wheels it was 1/4" thick on the drums. It was cheaper to buy 4 new backing plates with entire brake assemblies, clean and repack the hubs and drums. With me doing the work the cost was over $200.

The last one we purchased when it was 4 years old. Three of the wheels had grease on the drums, one set of brakes was grease soaked and had to be replaced. The fourth, when I was cleaning the grease out of the hub prior to repacking I found that the inner race of the outer bearing was spinning in the hub. Had to replace the entire hub/drum assembly and new bearings.

Had I not found this the eventual result would have been for the wheel to leave the trailer, probably rolling past the camper and my truck. Who knows where it would have gone and how much damage to another vehicle or person? It could easily cause a wreck and someone's death! Who would be liable........ME!

Then I would have very quickly had the other tire on that side blow because it was overloaded since the other was no longer there. Now, I would be stuck God knows where until I could purchase two new tires, one wheel assembly and get them mounted and installed all without being able to move the camper.

Sound far fetched.................It ISNT! That is what would have happened had I decided to be lazy and pump in grease without the ability to inspect the entire assembly. Proper maintenance of your wheels is not a game, it can have deadly serious consequences.

X2 (zackly)
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I'm not a girl but am a pharmacist and can tell you it is very easy to do. Lots of videos on the internet show you how to do it. Once you do it you'll be upset when you realize how much money an RV dealership charges to do it. If you want to do it right, do it yourself.

True enough!! I'm already looking at videos on how to jack up the camper! Thanks from a fellow RPh!
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle