Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #1

Dexter EZ Lube axles: lube how often?

Ok, guys (or girls!) ... how often do you grease your Dexter EZ Lube axles? I have a 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2506S that I've had for about 1 year. We camp mostly local so probably has less than 3000 miles on it. The Dexter manual says to Lube it yearly, I think. So I called my camper dealer about whether they could do it and the mechanic said to save my money because most people overlube their axles and that my camper is pretty new and shouldn't need it.
So... I want to ask "the experts!" :-).
Thanks!!
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #2

Save yourself the trouble and don't use the zerks at the end of the axle. The grease tends to blow out the grease seal and fill the drum. Do yourself a favor and pull the drum, inspect the brakes and grease the bearings the old way, handpacking each race. You will be happy you did. You will need new grease seals and they can be bought at etrailer.com. Safe travels.

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Ripley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #3

It's not likely you can blow out seals using a hand grease gun with an E-Z Lube axle. The grease you put in the zirk enters the hub behind the inner bearing, pushing existing grease out of the hub around the zirk.

On a TT, once a year is fine. Jack up the wheel and spin it as you pump grease in. Pump until there's grease coming out around the zirk. If the grease coming out looks contaminated (milky, gray or with particles) check the bearings.

Grease is not consumed, so it's not really all that necessary to pump grease into a properly packed bearing, but doing so will possible alert you of an impending bearing failure by allowing you to see what the grease in the hub looks like.

How often do you 'regrease' the front bearings in your car?
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #4

If it is only a year old and no more than a few miles don't worry about it.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

I just replaced both Dexter axles with under 2000 miles on them. Dexter replaced them under warranty. Failure was due to insufficient grease at time of manufacture. All 4 spindles showed signs of excessive heat (over 700F) and metal shavings. Manufacture suggests greasing axles once a year.

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Ripley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #6

Do yourself a favor and grease them and check bearings asap. My 2018 coachmen only went to florida so far 2500 miles.

I said to myself before I left I should check the grease. Well I didn't until we came home..

Guess what? No grease and all bearings loose.. " Brand new trailer"

both axles took a tube of grease per side.. " Not Kidding"

Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
If it is only a year old and no more than a few miles don't worry about it.
What he said...

and watch the official EZ-lube youtube video and do it your self every 5-6,000 miles in about 10 minutes per side...

https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8

I have had two campers over 8 years with EZ-Lube Dexter, driving about 3-4K miles per year and I have yet to blow a seal. Before lubing the axle, jack up a tire and slowly rotate it by hand and listen and feel for rough or un-even turning. If you hear or feel nothing unusual go ahead and lube it using the Dexter method. Any grinding or rough spots felt, then you need to disassemble or get professional help... BUT I would NOT use a dealer.. any shop can do trailer bearings and brakes.

Another thing, when you do jack the trailer, use the frame and NOT the axles to lift the wheel.

Hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

What exact grease do you all use? And what kind of jack do you use? I'm a girl and a pharmacist .... not a mechanic! But I am pretty good being a "handy woman" if I know exactly what to do and have the right tools (and good You Tube videos!) ... although I'm not quite picturing myself jacking up my camper. . I have molybdenum grease I used with my brand new grease gun on my Blu Ox hitch zerks! [emoji51]
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Considering what happens in most factories when assembling things like axles every once in a while someone doesn't add enough grease to a fresh set of bearings and slaps them in the hub. Tighen, lock, cap, and down the line.

It's not a bad idea to grease your bearings before your first trip.

As for pushing out the seal with a grease gun, if the rear seal was installed per manufacturer's instructions (essentially glued in place with permatex), and the owner follows the instructions saying "add grease S-L-O-W-L-Y", the seal isn't going to get pushed out. Now if you grab your handy dandy air powered grease gun (or even one of the battery powered ones) you have a great chance of pushing the seal out.

The first greasing will take more as you fill the hub. My guess is that the factory merely smears grease over the tapered rollers and inside the race with a brush and calls it good. Some guys dip the brush a little more than others.

To grease the axles and not familiar with grease guns, fine one that looks like this at Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc. The pipe rather than hose will make it easier to control while squeezing grease in slowly, while turning the drum with the other hand.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
What exact grease do you all use? And what kind of jack do you use?
first I also use the small 3 oz grease gun that TitanMike pictured, easy to use and throw it in a plastic bag and store in the trailer...

according to Lippert an axle mfg. video
https://youtu.be/qApOwOx1oN4
use any brand of lithium complex grease...
I know you said you had a Dexter, but axle grease type should be the same for all manufacturers...

caution do NOT mix grease types in the bearings... lithium complex and molybdenum MY NOT be the same type... would have to look at the packaging of the molybdenum

EDIT see post #12 for compatibility chart

You can usually find Lubrimatic brand at Walmart and most auto stores... 3 oz tubes. Buy several tubes when you find it and they will last for years. The right grease will usually say something like Wheel Bearing for disk or drum brakes on the package.

Get yourself a 4 to 8 ton Hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight and supplement that with some 2x4 wood about 6-8 inches long... you can use the wood to set on the ground under the jack for better footing on earth or stone driveways

the jacks pictured below came from walmart dot com... but any brand will do...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #11

Methods that others have said. I have the same axle on my boat trailer and camping trailer. I use the grease zert prior to each trip. I have had my boat trailer for 12 years and camping trailer for 2 years. I have not blown a rear seal by doing as said above. Once you see the grease coming out the front near the zert stop with the grease.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #12

funny how sometimes a simple question requires more investigation...
grease types... compatibility factors of grease type
found this chart at etrailer dot com...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base grease.jpg
Views:	2157
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	147637  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #13

I would find out what grease type they use and use that same base. When I buy a used trailer, I always flush out all the grease and use the same grease I use on all my trailers which happens to be an aluminum complex base. Since I have multiple boat trailers, all my trailers use Sta-lube marine grease.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
Do yourself a favor and grease them and check bearings asap. My 2018 coachmen only went to florida so far 2500 miles.
I totally agree. I will be picking up my Coachmen in 2 weeks and I will be pulling it a couple hours to a campground where I will at least jack up the wheels and check for play.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You can usually find Lubrimatic brand at Walmart and most auto stores... 3 oz tubes. Buy several tubes when you find it and they will last for years. The right grease will usually say something like Wheel Bearing for disk or drum brakes on the package
Did you actually mean 14 oz tubes? When I buy grease I have multiple 14 oz cans around as well a 14oz tubes that go in the grease gun. When you change the grease in the hub and repack the bearings, you go through a lot of grease.

I also suggest getting this bearing packer..one of the best.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lisle-34550...bearing+packer
Old 08-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #16

Green grease is my brand of choice. MSD specs show superiority over all other brands..

But thats just me..

Green Grease | The Best Grease Money Can Buy!

http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/ggfac...2011_05_11.pdf

I would say use any NLGI #2 grease and stick with whats available to you locally. Lucus Red and tacky etc
Old 08-09-2017, 12:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Green grease is my brand of choice. MSD specs show superiority over all other brands..

But thats just me..

Green Grease | The Best Grease Money Can Buy!

http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/ggfac...2011_05_11.pdf

I would say use any NLGI #2 grease and stick with whats available to you locally. Lucus Red and tacky etc
Looks good. If I didn't have 3 (soon to be) 4 tandem trailers all with an existing type grease, I might switch.

Has a drop point of 550° vs 500° for the grease I use.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #18

Quote:
has a drop point of 550° vs 500° for the grease i use.
554f lolol
Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
It's not likely you can blow out seals using a hand grease gun with an E-Z Lube axle.

How often do you 'regrease' the front bearings in your car?
You go on thinking that a hand grease gun is safer to use with EZlube axles if it makes you feel better

And front bearings on modern vehicles are sealed, rv bearings are not.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #20

Quote:
554f lolol
Oh wow! Now I have to switch!

My boat trailer that weighs more than my travel trailer has disc brakes and has no issues with the 500°. Measuring the hubs with my heat gun after a long brake, they are just warm.

Tags
axle