Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Dicor wheel liner FAIL

I know other people have had issues with their Dicor wheel liners coming off and shearing off their valve stems, so in the grand scheme of things my problem is not as drastic, but it still is something that shouldn't have happened.

I've got a grand total of 1990 miles on my Forester. Yesterday (we're traveling with it) my wife thought she heard what sounded like bells jingling when we were pulling out of the campground. We traveled all day and when we got to a campground last night my wife was guiding me as I backed into the site. She heard the bells jingling again while I was backing up. Turns out that the 4 pop rivets that Dicor used to secure the center cap to the wheel liner had sheared off allowing the center cap to wobble around behind the liner. With the flange on the center cap it couldn't come off, but really? Cheap rivets? The thing that really breaks my heart is that I lost that expensive looking sticker from the center of the cap.

Here's a photo of what the other side looks like with the rivets in place. Please excuse the road dust.

Here's the one where they sheared off.

Now, the good news is that they have a one year warranty from Dicor - except I have to send the wheel liner and center cap back to them PREPAID and they'll decide what they're going to do.

So, I decided what I was going to do. There was a hardware store a 1/2 mile from the campground. First thing this morning I got some 1/4" stainless steel sheet metal screws and reattached the center cap. It's on there solid now. When I get back home I'm going to swap out the sheet metal screws for stainless steel machine screws with the nuts lock-tite'd onto the back.

The shortest screws they had in 1/4" were 3/4" in length, but there's plenty of room between the rear of the wheel liner and the wheels so nothing hit.

I spent $7 on stainless steel screws - it would probably cost me $20 to ship everything back to Dicor and have them ship me another wheel liner with the cap attached with rivets. I bought enough extra screws to repair the other liner if they shear off. In fact, when I get home I'll probably drill out the rivets and put machine screws on that one too to make sure that cap doesn't go anywhere.

Moral of the story, if you've got Dicor wheel liners take a look at their cheap rivets holding the center cap.

Forest River - (Brian/Josh) if you're paying attention maybe you can say something to Dicor. They're not going to care if I send them a poison pen letter but maybe something from a vendor who does a lot of business with them might carry some weight.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Denmark, ME & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Dicor steps up right away!

I sent an email to Dicor customer service last night right after I posted the above. I included the photos and explanation of what happened.

There was an email waiting for me at 8:20am this morning from Kathy McCleery at Dicor. She's sending out a replacement wheel liner for me without my having to return the problem one. She assured me that they test their wheel liners extensively and what happened to me does not normally occur.

I'm really impressed with the quick response and resolution to this whole thing from Dicor! Granted, it's a warranty issue, but they took care of it right away without trying to blame it on the "operator" or some other excuse as has occurred with other company's warranty claims.

Major kudos to Kathy McCleery and Dicor Corporation!!!!

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Denmark, ME & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote