Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #31

I'm very skeptical about the physics of this. It's early in the morning, so I'm probably not thinking clearly, but ...
Wouldn't centrifugal force try to always push the beads to the outermost part of the tire, which, since it is furthest from the axle center be the "heavy" side of the tire, and thus exactly the opposite of where you'd want any weight added ?

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #32

I can't explain the ohysics, but, on YouTube there are videos of how they work, using clear bottles to show the beads movements.
I know the use of them prolongs tire life on motorcycles tremendously.
I will be installing new tires within the next few weeks and plan to add beads then.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Super Coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #33
Commercial Member

If you add "balance beads" just be sure you confirm the addition of the beads does not void any tire warranty.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I'm very skeptical about the physics of this. It's early in the morning, so I'm probably not thinking clearly, but ...
Wouldn't centrifugal force try to always push the beads to the outermost part of the tire, which, since it is furthest from the axle center be the "heavy" side of the tire, and thus exactly the opposite of where you'd want any weight added ?
I don't know how: but I can tell you they work. I also have them in my 285 x 70 x 17 E rated truck tires, 2nd set and have been running them now for over 4 years with NO other weights on the tires and they are smooth as silk at least up to 80 MPHs. Have not driven faster than that.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #35

They have been up to 105 on my MC and never a wiggle. Not proud that I had to go that fast to avoid dump truck that was pelting me with rocks, but it happened, once.
I have never heard of anyone having issues with them causing issues unless ocassionally a bead will get in the valve stem when checking air pressure. Then it sometimes is hard to get it out. On the MC I just roll valve stem to down position, that's a little harder on a camper.
Beads take a 10,000 mile MC tire and will get 20-25,000 out of it.

Super Coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Coop View Post
They have been up to 105 on my MC and never a wiggle. Not proud that I had to go that fast to avoid dump truck that was pelting me with rocks, but it happened, once.
I have never heard of anyone having issues with them causing issues unless ocassionally a bead will get in the valve stem when checking air pressure. Then it sometimes is hard to get it out. On the MC I just roll valve stem to down position, that's a little harder on a camper.
Beads take a 10,000 mile MC tire and will get 20-25,000 out of it.

Whoever is selling the beads should inform you of the need for the special valve "filters".. I have heard of "dust" from some balance beads cloging TPM rendering it useless.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire