Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #41

The issues resulting from an out-of-balance tire and wheel combo don't automagically disappear when placed on a trailer.

The practice of NOT balancing trailer wheels/tires is simply accepted (by some) is because the trailer is out-of-sight/out-of-mind. The owner doesn't see or feel the vibrations... so he/she doesn't think it matters.

Given the fact that they replace their trailer tires much more often they may not see the wear caused by imbalance.

If you ever see a trailer tire bouncing like crazy while going down the road (I have), chances are it is way out-of-balance.

I had my new wheels/tires balanced. Knowing how much weight was used, I can't imagine NOT balancing them.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #42

If you do balance trailer tires, remember that many trailer wheels are centered by the position of the lug bolts (these wheels are lug-centric) and not the center bore of the wheel. To get the best tire balance for lug-centric wheels, you should have them balanced using a pin plate adapter. This mimics the way a lug-centric wheel is mounted to a hub.

Another method for trailers:……… Centramatic Automatic On-board Tire and Wheel Balancers
Old 09-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
If you do balance trailer tires, remember that many trailer wheels are centered by the position of the lug bolts (these wheels are lug-centric) and not the center bore of the wheel. To get the best tire balance for lug-centric wheels, you should have them balanced using a pin plate adapter. This mimics the way a lug-centric wheel is mounted to a hub...
As I have stated previously, the center hole and stud holes are punched and formed at the same time, tires/wheels have been balanced from the center hub hole for years and it still works. Tires are more prone to be 'out of round' than the hub hole to the od of the rim.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #44

I just came back from having mine done. $40.00 for all four at Pomps Tire. I pulled in the shop, raised it up with the level-Up and he went to to work Done in about 1/2 hr. Said the front tires took a lot of weight to get balanced. He wasn't too impressed with these cheap Westlake tires...I plan to get rid of them and go to a set of "H" rated 17.5s when the wallet recovers a bit..Still worth balancing so they don't shake the suspension apart going down the highway..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #45
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Would not balance my TT tires. He just would not do it. Just like a previous poster claimed. No good explanation just some mumbly mumbly about the alloy wheels ....

<edit>

Happy Camping
Ahh! Perhaps it's the wheels that irked him and not really the tires. I have steel wheels so it's not an issue. We ordered our trailer and just didn't care to spend money on fancy wheels. But that's just us.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #46

Took the tires off the LaCrosse and took into discount tires, they do my auto and truck tires, bought 5 metal stems for the TPMS for 5 bucks each, and they thru in the dis-mount , install, Mount and balance.5 tires for 15 bucks, not bad. They did not even look at me funny when I told them to balance them. Knowing what a out of balance tire on my car will do, I don't need the running gear on the trailer getting trashed. YMMV.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Does FR balance them at the factory? I don't recall seeing any balance weights on the new tires.
No they do not, at least no trailer, TT or 5'er, that I have bought.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #48

Balance tires

Why would you not balance tires and wheels on any vehicle that is driven at hwy speeds??? In fact, why not balance the wheels and tires at least once a year??? The opportunity to check your brakes, suspension, tire wear and condition etc... Should be, at the very least, a yearly scheduled item. Tires fail and receive excessive abnormal wear from unbalanced conditions. And as one poster stated, wheel centers are made at the same time lug holes are punched which on aluminum wheels are then machined to concentricity. Steel wheels can be stamped or shaped concentric.
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #49

Ceramic Tire balancing Beads

Ceramic Beads, have been using in TV and TT, 5er for years. have always worked. At least I know they work on TV because there the only weights I use and at 70 the truck is smooth as silk and tires on both tt and tv wear beautifully. Besides thing in the RV seem to stay put pretty well.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Ceramic Beads, have been using in TV and TT, 5er for years. have always worked. At least I know they work on TV because there the only weights I use and at 70 the truck is smooth as silk and tires on both tt and tv wear beautifully. Besides thing in the RV seem to stay put pretty well.
Does your truck tire's warranty cover the use of those beads? Some brands do, most don't.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Does your truck tire's warranty cover the use of those beads? Some brands do, most don't.
I worked for a large GM dealer for many years...This is the first I have ever heard of them not honoring your warranty for using ceramic beads in the tires..Do you have some documentation to support this claim?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

Do you need the cores with the filters for the beads?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #53

Balance or not

I wish I had kept the photos of the unbalanced tires I took off a like new Wildwood EXL Hybrid this summer. I would have posted them for you. Horribly uneven wear and choppy ride. It significantly reduces a tires life, too.
Crbacsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I worked for a large GM dealer for many years...This is the first I have ever heard of them not honoring your warranty for using ceramic beads in the tires..Do you have some documentation to support this claim?
Here is a reference from one of the manufacturer's that does not cover tires with beads in them. Look at the top of page #3 under the heading of what is not covered.

http://www.michelinman.com/content/d...omise_Plan.pdf
Old 09-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #55

Quote:
Here is a reference from one of the manufacturer's that does not cover tires with beads in them. Look at the top of page #3 under the heading of what is not covered.

http://www.michelinman.com/content/d...omise_Plan.pdf
Thank you for posting your reply. Never heard of this before..but then on the other hand I've only balanced wheels using weights..I know they work.

Tags
tire, tires