Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Do I need a new axle?

I own a 2005 FoRi High Wall Popup - HW256. We bought it barely used in '08 and have used it 12-15 times since - not a lot of wear and tear. Last Fall when we went to cover up the camper, I noticed as I slid my hand under to put the tire cover on that there was very little clearance between the tire and the camper on the right side.

Being cold and windy, we covered it up and let it set until last weekend. When we uncovered it, I checked again, and of course the clearance was the same. To check it out, my husband hooked up the camper and rolled it around the parking lot at the storage yard. We took it to another spot to make sure it was on the level and to see if there was any change, and it was the same. There is enough clearance that the tire doesn't rub, but again, it is close (maybe an inch). The camper is not loaded (just has a few sheets, pots and pans and the like in it).

We crawled under looked to look at the axles, and on the side with the low clearance, the torsion bar/arm seems to be pointed more downward (and from the pics I have seen, that should be better, I think). On the side with the normal clearance, the bar is about level. When you look at the camper sitting, it does not appear to be off-kilter.

We are thinking we may need a new axle, but not sure where to start to confirm, or what size (I tried to look it up somewhere - you would think this is on a parts manual somewhere...but I got frustrated).

My husband is a tractor trailer driver and has done all our repairs. He doesn't think this would be much to change if we had to, but wanted to get more info before we embark on this project. He was baffled by a torsion axle, said he had never seen anything like it.

Does our issue sounds like its the axle? Does anyone have a schematic? Does anyone have the part number (I think they are made by Al-Ko) without me having to drive back to storage so I can research parts and prices? Everything I have read says we should upgrade anyway if we were to replace it.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #2

Just remember if you (Upgrade) your Axles sometimes the wheel bolt pattern will change. That means (3) new wheels and tires also. Yes the torsion axles do fail,one Large curb or bump can do it. Youroo!!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
daydreaming about camping

Can you post a few pictures of the camper from enough distance to see if it is sitting level, and also the axles as you are discussing.

Silly question, are you sure your tires are the same size?

It seems strange that once side would feel like it has less clearance if the camper still sits level. SO that makes me think about other possible culprits. I know that our highwall with the dinette slide on one side was probably heavier on that side, so it might sit a little crooked.

As for replacement, not a huge job to do. The torsion axles may be purchased through most decent trailer shops. I know my local trailer shop is far more price friendly on axles and running gear than any RV dealer. The rubber inside a torsion axle can degrade over time, though yours is not that old at 8 years, it is entirely possible. Again, a good trailer shop can rebuild these axles as well.

I would start out by finding a good trailer shop close by and ask if they would take a look. Even if you do the labor, they can source the pats for you.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks Youroo. Yes, one reason we want to do some research to see what we can do without a huge investment, but if we need to add new wheels/tires, that may be the solution.

Thanks Jeep8. Yes, the tires are the same, in fact they are the originals. I don't have any pics but may take a ride up there this weekend (it is at a storage yard). When I go up there I'll take some pics, but was hoping someone on here had experienced the same thing. I've heard these axles are close to minimum spec. and others have upgraded. I would think 8 years isn't long either but it is stored outside, so maybe that has caused degrading?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

(8) years old tires need (Replaced)! Youroo!!