Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
New Camper Owner

Do You Really Need Tire Covers

Was wondering as a new Puma owner, do I really need to purchase tire covers for my travel trailer? I have never covered my vehicle tires over the years, had zero issues with them. All my vehicle tires stay on dirt driveway or yard during summer and winter and in direct sunlight. Tires are tires...right?
camperou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #2

The suns rays are stronger than years ago, more crap in the air, less wormnanship in the tyres, and of course their 30 some bucks a set.
With all the tire news stories lately - if you don''t use them every week or park them on a 45.93 degree angle it seems they will be destined to explode anyway.
We never needed Tyre Pressure Monitoring systems costing 100$ a tyre before to tell us that the pressure was low by 2 lbs or more either.
All a money grab?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

I purchased a set of 4 canvas ones off E-bay last month. They have been on the trailer and are black spotted from the bit of rain we got. Not mud or crushed rock goo.

But mold.

Whats better - mold or no covers.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #4

You really should replace your RV tires after 3 years anyway, not that they are worn, but they get dry rotted easily, and sidewall deterioration, which in turn can cause a blowout. These camper tires are not very good quality either; as most are chinese made. U.V. light damages them as well, which is what the covers are for, though I really can't see that much of a "protective factor" in the three+ years before replacement. My opinion.....Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
You really should replace your RV tires after 3 years anyway, not that they are worn, but they get dry rotted easily, and sidewall deterioration, which in turn can cause a blowout. These camper tires are not very good quality either; as most are chinese made. U.V. light damages them as well, which is what the covers are for, though I really can't see that much of a "protective factor" in the three+ years before replacement. My opinion.....Randy

gee did I "wear" out my welcome with my tires ? 6 years old when I traded it off.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Anacortesians

Seven years is the "accepted" age, at least on motorhomes. When we bought ours in 2010, the tires were the OEM from Ford and dated 10/2000! I guess it was an '01 chassis, but I was a bit surprised that Ford used tires as old as that. Needless to say, they (Goodyears) were replaced (Toyos from Les Schwab) after just one shakedown trip.

I hadn't considered covers to be necessarey in our part of the world because the sun isn't that strong. When someone posted on one of the other forums that CW had a 2-for-1 on pairs of covers, we decided to get them. Haven't put them on yet, but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks when we park the rig in its winter slot. Don't really need one on starboard front, as the rig is only 12" away from the garage wall, whch runs north/south. It will only have sun on it for about 15 minutes a day!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
New Camper Owner

How can trailer tires not hold up better than normal vehicle tires to sunlight? Compared to the tires on my truck, my trailer tires have thicker sidewalls and more ply. Can see where over loading can be an issue with wear but still have mixed feelings on the need for expensive covers. Seems to me that a covered tire would be more subject to sun high temp build up from inside which would do as much damage as direct sunlight. Just thinking out loud....
camperou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #8

We purchaed the CW sweet deal as did a lot of other people because the units are backordered into December.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperou812 View Post
How can trailer tires not hold up better than normal vehicle tires to sunlight? Compared to the tires on my truck, my trailer tires have thicker sidewalls and more ply. Can see where over loading can be an issue with wear but still have mixed feelings on the need for expensive covers. Seems to me that a covered tire would be more subject to sun high temp build up from inside which would do as much damage as direct sunlight. Just thinking out loud....
It's more about the "rubber" compound/composition than it is about construction.

The sun damage is due to the UV rays breaking down/attacking the rubber, not the heat the tire is exposed to.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

it also has to do with use . a new car tire that sits for 2 years will dry rot and or crack when sitting in the elements not being used .
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
it also has to do with use . a new car tire that sits for 2 years will dry rot and or crack when sitting in the elements not being used .
So, is that the issue....use it or lose it?

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

roger that !
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #13

a couple of factors no one has mentioned when a tire trailer, truck or farm implement sits on dirt for long period of times the soil sucks the moisture out of it thus drying it out cause you can get dry rot from sitting indoors also on dirt floor. As for changing tires every 3 to 7 years keep an eye on them why spend money on something if you dont need to I know of a lot of farm tractors from the 60's and 70's with original tires now that isnt highway use but still. A great UV protection other than covers is Armour all works good if you keep up on it, once every couple weeks works great on flags too helps them last longer. I personally use covers and armour all cheap insurance I figure but I also wash and wax my TT a couple times a year, I just last year tried armour all on the awning will see how that one pans out in about five years.
mr.hiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
Villa Estate 392FLFB

my 83 park ave has tires on it from the 80's still. been garaged its whole life cept the last 2 years now. since then the tires have really started to show their age. of course its not a daily driver so probably should be covering it up. winter is coming to so it will get the full car cover treatment.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hiler View Post
Armour all works good if you keep up on it, once every couple weeks works great on flags too helps them last longer. I personally use covers and armour all cheap insurance I figure but I also wash and wax my TT a couple times a year, I just last year tried armour all on the awning will see how that one pans out in about five years.
I used Armour all for years and then it destroyed some stuff on my classic car I owned at the time so I stopped using it.
303 UV protection is a better product so I've read
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #16

Armour all is only marginally better than spraying water or pledge furniture polish on rubber.....

Find a good rubber dedicated protectant and use than.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, cover