Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #11

They are the same as all cars and trucks were prior to around 1990.The only time car wb's got repaced was during a brake job,and in a lot of cases not even then.Unless they have been under water they should go 25000. Ive owned cars/trucks since 1958 and never had a 'dry" wheel bearing, but its your money,spend it how you want! Unless there is grease spatter arond the edges of the backing plate or the wheel "growels" when you get off the ground and spin it,leave well enough alone. Most shops anymore dont have wheel bearing packer anyways,and the guy doing wont be old enough to even know what is.The dirt from the parts washer fluid carries more dirt into a bearing than it had in it before they took it off.Then there are the guys that spin a bearing dry.That ends up scratching the rollers and in some cases distorting the cage.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #12

Seems mostly unnecessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Since I have a double axle and large 15" rims and a tt that weighs 4500 lbs. I wonder if I need bearings repacked. It's kind of like a car and who packs car bearings? What do you all think?

I can understand checking them periodically especially if you are parked at the beach part or most of the year and don't have wheel covers on. But based on the typical miles put on TTs I just can't imagine having to replace / repack very often at all. We have put roughly 5k a year over the last couple of years on our TT and that's a month of camping / trips each year. Pretty aggressive for non retired people that have jobs / kids but that's still only 10k miles in 2 years. If you are full timers on the road perpetually then you might wear them out sooner / require more maintenance. If you do decide it's needed plan on doing it yourself, I got a quote on our tandem axle setup for $500.00. Thought it might be needed due to a weird alignment issue that has since been solved but if it had been needed I would have done it myself to avoid a painful labor bill. Are there noises / vibrations or other issues that make you think you have a problem?

Nights camped so far 2017 - 16
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

I feel the Same way, tt's are not on the road but a few times a year and those bearings and grease should last a while. I feel like this change yearly thing is a myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #14

FWIW bearings that sit a lot can rust due to moisture...how long is next question. I would do every couple years and use the synthetic grease...which means cleaning the old grease out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #15

Because I bought an older TT I will clean them out since I do not know what is in there and good tip, I will go with synthetic . Not looking forward to this , lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Sorry. Thought he said a 4500lb trailer. Must have missed the small popup camper part.
No, you got it right the first time.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
They are the same as all cars and trucks were prior to around 1990.The only time car wb's got repaced was during a brake job,and in a lot of cases not even then.Unless they have been under water they should go 25000. Ive owned cars/trucks since 1958 and never had a 'dry" wheel bearing, but its your money,spend it how you want! Unless there is grease spatter arond the edges of the backing plate or the wheel "growels" when you get off the ground and spin it,leave well enough alone. Most shops anymore dont have wheel bearing packer anyways,and the guy doing wont be old enough to even know what is.The dirt from the parts washer fluid carries more dirt into a bearing than it had in it before they took it off.Then there are the guys that spin a bearing dry.That ends up scratching the rollers and in some cases distorting the cage.
Agree plus even bearing packers don't get the grease in everywhere soooo, yes, the old method of using the palm of the hand and fingers. At least now there are latex gloves one can put on.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #18

I do as I have on other trailers forever and as an old ag mechanic. Anually I will jack up the axle, spin the wheel to listen for bearing smoothness or noise, check for clearance by rocking wheel side to side and then pump a couple squirts in the the ez lube just enough to see grease movement from the outside bearing. Dexter has a spec for the rocking clearance for their axles and a torqueing method. As other have stated, removing and repacking is just a good way to introduce contaminants. Bearing cleanliness is critical.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Nobody because they are lubed/sealed for life, unlike your trailer bearings.

Unless you have the new never-lube bearings on your trailer, but these are pretty rare - due to increased initial cost I would assume.

I have the Never-Lube bearings on my 34 TSA Cedar Creek fifth wheel. After having the awning replaced I asked the mobile tech who worked on it, what I should do for the bearings? He said nothing as they are a sealed unit and no maintenance is needed.
I have owned this since October 2009 and I keep wondering if I should do something to the bearings. Following his advice, I will just wait and hope that they hold up for another 2000 mile round trip.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #20

" since I do not know what is in there and good tip, I will go with synthetic . Not looking forward to this"

Same here, not sure if mine are fine or dry so will have to do it too. Although not what I call fun I'd rather waste a day making sure they are good and have that piece of mind knowing the wheel is not gunna break off in the middle of no-where.

2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings