Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #1

Does anyone know if General Grabber HTS tires suitable for towing 4000lb trailer?

I put General Grabber HTS's on my Honda Ridgeline before I ever had plans to tow a trailer. Fast forward a year and I now have a 4000lb camper. After learning more about tire load ratings, I'm trying to determine if the HTS is suitable for towing that much weight.

I see a lot of receommendations for using a "Light Truck" or "LT" rated tire with an "E" (or 10-ply) load rating if you're going to tow a camper. However, the Grabber HTS is a passenger tire with an "XL" load rating. Is that considered suitable for trailer towing?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What size tire do you have?

Consider the following:

You don't need LT E tires for your truck. You'll be bounced around and its overkill for your TV/TT combo. Also, I bet your rims could not support the 80psi.

If you go LT, than load range C is more than fine.

I'm guessing as to the size of the tire for your TV, but I see that the General Grabber HTS in a 245/65R17 in the XL has a max load of 2403lbs, which is decent. And, XL tires don't need to have a very high PSI, which is better for many of the rims today.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks Scott. You nailed the size -- 245/65R17. Good to know that I'm okay with these tires. What would an LT tire with an E rating be best suited for? Pulling 5th wheels or something?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.

I think it best to stick with the XLs in your case. At least, until they wear down and then you can reconsider.

Load capacity increases in LT tires from C to E. The tires we use need to match the load or be over it but never under the load. So, the greater inflation allowed in D and E tires is needed for the heavier pin and tongue weights with bigger 5ers and trailers. Also, those HD trucks generally have the rims that allow higher psi (65 for D and 80 for E).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote