Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #21
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Well fortunately, I looked a bit closer. It’s definitely JUST a broken leaf and everything else is intact- the hanger and all. No welding required.

Good/driver’s side:
Attachment 158518

Broken side:
Attachment 158519
Maybe it's the picture angles but it looks like the broken spring pack is different than the rest. Why does it have a band clamp and none of the others seem to. Also, the axle may have shifted and moved the leaves on the spring pack, but all three of the others springs do not have a single leaf with much overhang. The stacked leaves cover the majority of the attached leaf on the good ones. Looking at the visible bend in the broken leaf at the failure point, it seems like the attached leaf was on its own with little support under it from the other leaves like is visible on the good spring.

I may be completely off base though.

Good luck getting it repaired quickly.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
Maybe it's the picture angles but it looks like the broken spring pack is different than the rest. Why does it have a band clamp and none of the others seem to. Also, the axle may have shifted and moved the leaves on the spring pack, but all three of the others springs do not have a single leaf with much overhang. The stacked leaves cover the majority of the attached leaf on the good ones. Looking at the visible bend in the broken leaf at the failure point, it seems like the attached leaf was on its own with little support under it from the other leaves like is visible on the good spring.

I may be completely off base though.

Good luck getting it repaired quickly.

If is definitely the same spring pack- I had all 4 replace back in October 2015.

As for twisting and out of alignment; that’s very possible. I had some bad frame issues that things were all kinds of out of whack a couple of months ago.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

This is one of the exact reasons I do not support anyone using one of the Trailer-Aid ramps to change a tire. You overload that one spring and axle that can cause damage. It may be fine for an empty horse trailer or empty flatbed trailer but a loaded 12k+ RV, no way. Get a bottle jack and suck it up or wait for roadside service.

Ependydad- sorry this happened but at least it is just a spring. You should be able to match that up or at least get one in comparison and add to it using your old spring pack. Like said above, Tractor Supply has leaf spring packs. Just measure eye to eye, width, and amount of leaves along with weight rating of the axle. Local trailer shop should also be able to help.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Always Learning

Otherwise- Good Sam did find a mobile mechanic to come to us. Which was good as we had been coming up empty with our calls to find someone.

Scrawny little dude in a busted up truck. I didn’t see a tool in sight except for a floor jack when he pulled up. But, he got the spring-pack replaced in just a couple of hours. He actually sent me down to TrueValue to get the parts since they were closing before he would get there. I got the springs and new u-bolts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6457.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	158589

He told me that my bushings are shot and shackle holes have elongated. I also learned that I had wet bolts. Had I been greasing them, I might not have shot bushings and wallowed shackles.

We got moving at about 6pm. We stopped at a very busy truck stop for food and dinner a little later. I parked between 2 trucks - I think this is only the 2nd time in my travels that I’ve had to back between 2 trucks. Stressful and I forget how terrible at parking I am.... my wife being frazzled from the day doesn’t help anything.

Name:	IMG_6460.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	158590

We lost a good 1/2 hour or more getting fuel and getting parked. Dinner was Denny’s with the absolute nicest waitress - even my son told her that she’s really nice.

Back on the road after 8pm. We got the to campground at 9:50. They request that there not be check-ins after 10pm. So we were “that guy” getting parked in the dark while folks around us were likely trying to sleep. Oh well- I’ll apologize this morning.

Name:	IMG_6466.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	585.1 KB
ID:	158591

Not a bad site for spending Christmas!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #25
Site Team

Well yay for getting back on the road!

OF course we advise keeping a close watch on those tires.
Look for any signs of un-even or excessive wear.
And go ahead and grease all the wet bolts even if they are shot the
grease will help slow further damage.
Once the dust settles and you've caught your breath you can start
thinking about replacing them.

If we don't "talk to you before" Merry Christmas to you and your family!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Doug,

I know that you know you are heavy on the trailer and I realize you have been trying to lighten things up. I hope you don't to continue to have suspension/frame issues with the load you are carrying. It seems you fix something and the next weakest link fails.

I admire your will to get out there and travel the country. I hate it when I see one of your posts about trouble. I wish you all the best.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Well yay for getting back on the road!

OF course we advise keeping a close watch on those tires.
Look for any signs of un-even or excessive wear.
And go ahead and grease all the wet bolts even if they are shot the
grease will help slow further damage.
Once the dust settles and you've caught your breath you can start
thinking about replacing them.

If we don't "talk to you before" Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Yep- replacement of everything is on the plans. Largely because the spring pack I put on was only 3,300 lbs. vs. 3,500 lbs. Which means yesteryday's money was simply to get on the road. But, whatcha going to do?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Doug,

I know that you know you are heavy on the trailer and I realize you have been trying to lighten things up. I hope you don't to continue to have suspension/frame issues with the load you are carrying. It seems you fix something and the next weakest link fails.

I admire your will to get out there and travel the country. I hate it when I see one of your posts about trouble. I wish you all the best.
I appreciate that- you're definitely right that the load being carried is high. I'm running the axles and springs maxed out. Couple that with poor/lack of maintenance (in fact, that's a thread that I need to resurrect) and you have this poopy mess.

What I don't know now is how much is attributed to the load being carried; how much is niggly left overs from the frame issues; how much is just crappy happenstance that we ate a curb; etc.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #29
Always Learning

I don't know how friends were loaded, but the reason that I even looked under the camper before pulling out is because friends of ours all but tore off one side of their axles but cutting off an inner corner curb just like we did.

Since I knew the situation was very alike- I figured I should glance under to make sure everything was OK. (My walkaround typically does not include looking under/behind the wheels, though it now will.) Fortunately the shock mount tore and that's what alerted me to the bigger issue of the broken leaf.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I appreciate that- you're definitely right that the load being carried is high. I'm running the axles and springs maxed out. Couple that with poor/lack of maintenance (in fact, that's a thread that I need to resurrect) and you have this poopy mess.

What I don't know now is how much is attributed to the load being carried; how much is niggly left overs from the frame issues; how much is just crappy happenstance that we ate a curb; etc.
One thing to consider the next time you get close to a big city with lots of truck repair shops is to seek out a Spring Shop. Have them build a set of springs that have some safety margin built in for the load you are carrying. Most will start with a good heavy duty main leaf and then customize the "pack" to handle your load in a progressive manner. Greater the flex the more resistance that builds. May also start out with more arch so you have more travel before you hit the breaking point.

Rather than an off the shelf cure, perhaps something built for your needs. The extra price for the "purpose built" springs may well be worth it if you can avoid the issues you've experienced of late that appear to be load based.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
One thing to consider the next time you get close to a big city with lots of truck repair shops is to seek out a Spring Shop. Have them build a set of springs that have some safety margin built in for the load you are carrying. Most will start with a good heavy duty main leaf and then customize the "pack" to handle your load in a progressive manner. Greater the flex the more resistance that builds. May also start out with more arch so you have more travel before you hit the breaking point.

Rather than an off the shelf cure, perhaps something built for your needs. The extra price for the "purpose built" springs may well be worth it if you can avoid the issues you've experienced of late that appear to be load based.
I LOVE that idea. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #32
Failure is my business

Looking at the removed spring I think the reason it looked odd is that it actually broke the first three leaves not just the one. Glad you're back in business.

Tags
suspension