Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Dual Rear Tires; Extensions, Checking Pressure, Adding Air

I have done a lot of searching for answers to my questions without much success. If this discussion already exists, please link me to it. I don't want to take up space, but I do want to make sure I am able to successfully check my tires before each trip.

We have a 2015 Georgetown 270 (class A) with dual rear tires (19.5").

1. There is an extension in place for the inner tires. The valve stem for the outer tires is within reach beneath the chrome-clad cover and is pointing toward the inner tire. I am not able to check the air pressure because of the angle. Do I need to get those 90-degree extensions? Something else?

2. Assuming I need a 90-degree extension for the outer tires, is that something I leave on all the time or just when I am checking pressure/adding air? I've read in some places they can cause leaks.

3. (I'm embarrassed to ask this one.) The extension from the inner tires has what appears to be a metal cap on it. I was not able to finger twist it off and did not have tools with me at the time. I'm assuming it will come off with a little extra help from a wrench??? Or do those extensions operate some other way?

Admittedly, I'm a safety freak. And I certainly want to be able to check my own tires before every trip. This is my first experience with dual tires, so I'm feeling a little uncomfortable with the whole process.

Your help, links, images, etc... are all appreciated.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

Christian...I have the exact same problem with my 280DS outers. The guys here told me to get the 180 degree extensions then use a vice/wrench to put them to the exact angle I need. Am gonna try it shortly. yes...leave em on full time & check the nuts when you check your air. Up to now...I have been removing my wheel covers to check pressure and add air. BTW...try doing that with the POC wrench they give you...I had to get a 1 5/16" socket and a 12" extension to add to my 1/2" socket wrench before I could get them off. (YOU JUST turn the three nuts with the hoizontal lines on them...the rest are dummie nuts!) Try this before you need to do it and can't!
As to the inner flex hose extensions...yeah...just twist off the nut with pliers or a wrench.
Good luck...you are not alone!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Christian...I have the exact same problem with my 280DS outers. The guys here told me to get the 180 degree extensions then use a vice/wrench to put them to the exact angle I need. Am gonna try it shortly. yes...leave em on full time & check the nuts when you check your air. Up to now...I have been removing my wheel covers to check pressure and add air. BTW...try doing that with the POC wrench they give you...I had to get a 1 5/16" socket and a 12" extension to add to my 1/2" socket wrench before I could get them off. (YOU JUST turn the three nuts with the hoizontal lines on them...the rest are dummie nuts!) Try this before you need to do it and can't!
As to the inner flex hose extensions...yeah...just twist off the nut with pliers or a wrench.
Good luck...you are not alone!
THANK YOU!!
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #4

We have had two campers, both with dual rear tires, and both class B+. I thinks more of them as a smaller class C.....Before each trip, I go over to the Les Schwabb tire center and ask them to check my tire pressures and they do it for me, for no charge....I initially tried doing the check myself, but it was just not doable for me, plus having to spend the money on adapters and gages, and intallations, etc, etc......Let Les do It!!!...
louiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #5

When I added the TPMS, I had Les Schwab add a flexible extension. They added a clip to the wheel covers to support the extension and the sensors. I could never reach the cap for that outer dual.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire, tires