Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

elec brakes

I am hoping someone out here can help me. I have a 2007 f-250 diesel p/u with the tow command system. My question is does the truck need to be at a certain speed for this system to work the trailer brakes? I jacked up the trailer and pressed the pedal and it doesnt stop the wheel from spinning. I had it at the Ford dealer and after $100 they tell me everything is working properly. Just hoping someone could help. Thanks!http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s/thumbsup.gif
rookiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #2

Are you getting voltage to the brake magnets.

Click here and scroll down to: TROUBLE SHOOTING ELECTRIC BRAKES
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Too many variables, start by elimination. Do the trailer brakes work with another vehicle? Once this is determined, then you can work on the fault, truck or trailer. Since your signature is Rookie camper, I'm assuming you haven't towed this camper or any trailer with electric brakes. With most Fords, there is a small separate fuse box in which the fuses must be installed bu the owner to get trailer lights and brakes. Check all the lights on the trailer, including turn signal, and brake lights. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

1) Do you have a resistance riostat? If so, turn it up,
2) Is there a manual activation with the trailer brake controller? Try activating it manually,
3) Is it activated with an inertia (G-force) sensor? In other words, it may require forward force to activate the brakes, such as when your truck is slowing down and the brakes are activated.
4) Have you tried to pull the safety breakaway out, and if so, do the trailer brakes activate when the cable is out? (this would help indicate whether the trailer brakes are working)

Just a few ways to trouble shoot the system
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Don't the controlers work off of inertia? Don't they have to sense "slowing". I believe that is the case. Since you are static, it will not sense slowing, therefore will not send any brake signal to the trailer?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

my buddy hooked his truck up to the camper & the brakes work great. all other light work as well. With my F-250 hooked up to it the brakes will work manually but when I use the pedal nothing happens. I think the truck needs to be in motion for the brake controller to work properly???? the dealer checked the entrie system and it was working. by testing with a test light i have power at the plug but the test light is dim. thanx
rookiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiecamper View Post
my buddy hooked his truck up to the camper & the brakes work great. all other light work as well. With my F-250 hooked up to it the brakes will work manually but when I use the pedal nothing happens. I think the truck needs to be in motion for the brake controller to work properly???? the dealer checked the entrie system and it was working. by testing with a test light i have power at the plug but the test light is dim. thanx
my 350 worked like that
the puter uses time, speed and braking effort to compute a force(electric amp)to the brakes.
however....if you press the pedal do you get any load lights at your indash controller? if not there is an issue
most likey culprit is bad ground from the trailer to the truck, hitch ball is not one. i would double check the electric connections on both the truck and trailer
and.....if you can actuate them manually using the thumb bar, then its working
also for grins.....unplug the fuse for the controller and and the a/c.
wait a minute and then reinsert.
hope it helps
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #8

The reason the test light is dim is because the signal sent from the controller is weak, again probably due to the need for inertia to impose a stronger signal, try taking the trailer down the road, or to a large open parking lot, then try a sudden stop and you should feel the trailer "tug" as the brakes are active with inertia
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes