Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #1

Electric ball hitch jack

I have a 2019 2608bs that has a peculiar quirk. The hitch jack reverses polarity at times. The up button causes it to go down and the down button to go up and the next time i use it it's reversed. Is this normal? If I don't watch carefully I'll think it's supposed to be going down and it goes up and hits the limit and pops the fuse. Any ideas?
simoneyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #2

I have found the up/down can be confusing. The up/down reference is related to the direction the trailer is moving, not the jack itself. I find myself pushing the wrong button when just watching the jack.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

He's not talking about hitting the switch the wrong way by accident (I don't believe). He's referring to him hitting the switch the correct way, but sometimes it goes down as expected, but other times, it goes up (hitting the switch the same direction).

As for answering the question... I had a pop-up that did this. I just hit the switch twice every time I went to use it, and on the second push of the switch, it always went the direction I expected. Sometimes it did on the first time as well, but I got into the habit of hitting it twice each time. I know that's not a fix, but it's cheap.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Broken Toe

I got $100 says it 'reverses' when you are on the ball, as opposed to being on the foot of the jack.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

Thanks. I'll try that at the next opportunity.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #6

Make a habit to stop just short of the end of the travel. That way it won't bottom out if it travels in an unexpected direction. Just a work-around until problem is solved.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I got $100 says it 'reverses' when you are on the ball, as opposed to being on the foot of the jack.
I want to say that it's the switch and it needs to be replaced. But I don't think I'm willing to wager the $100 against you on this one- that's a very real possibility, too.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I want to say that it's the switch and it needs to be replaced. But I don't think I'm willing to wager the $100 against you on this one- that's a very real possibility, too.
Yup. Confuses the crap out of me which way I need to press the button to make it go in the direction I want it to. Trying to figure out if the switch is wired for if you want the foot to go up and down or the tongue to go up and down.

Standard procedure for me is usually to say "Oh crap, wrong way."
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

My switch is actually marked "ret" and "ext" which you can faintly still see. These are refering to the foot. I used my DYMO letter maker to make "up" for retract and "dn" for extend. My DW told me using up and down should be refering to the tongue in her opinion. I haven't changed it though ----yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5560.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	215380  
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

If I had a jack that blew a fuse every time it hit the stops, that jack would be in the trash can and replaced with a better jack.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #11

Smile

I've learned to live with it and it's not a huge problem. I do like the idea that it should be replaced because it pops fuses. I would think that it would have limit switches. There's a red band on the shaft that says not to go that far. BTW I know up from down and I know which switch position should make it perform those functions.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 AM   #12

I used to have the same issue with my awning switch, it would sometimes do the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish but then try it again later and it would work as it's supposed to.
stevemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #13

If I keep running my tongue jack the wrong direction until it hits the 'Stop' and blows the fuse...I'm smacking myself in the head for NOT paying attention to what's going on. I've pushed my button the wrong way several times and it takes about 2 seconds to realize...OH CARP ! wrong way dummy.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #14

DW is right, right, and right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
My switch is actually marked "ret" and "ext" which you can faintly still see. These are refering to the foot. I used my DYMO letter maker to make "up" for retract and "dn" for extend. My DW told me using up and down should be refering to the tongue in her opinion. I haven't changed it though ----yet.

Yup what she said.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
If I keep running my tongue jack the wrong direction until it hits the 'Stop' and blows the fuse...I'm smacking myself in the head for NOT paying attention to what's going on. I've pushed my button the wrong way several times and it takes about 2 seconds to realize...OH CARP ! wrong way dummy.
I have a jack that is designed to turn itself off when it goes against the stop. I never have to smack myself in the head.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hitch