Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Electric Brake Controller problem

Recently on a trip and the light on my brake controller started to flash intermittently and at times stay out for periods of time (no brakes when the light is out) when I would get passed by another vehicle light would come back on for a second or 2. This only happens at highway speeds. While driving threw town less than 30mph light stays on and brakes work well. Upon inspection I found 2 prongs (1 being the Ground blade) on the trailer plug that have what appear to be arc marks. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have wiggled all wires on the trailer and at the back of the truck and cannot get the light to flicker. I was given the suggestion of running another ground wire on the trailer, replace trailer plug end and clean the ball on my hitch. Anyone had this problem before?

Brake Controller: Hopkins Agility
Trailer : Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 829 BHSS
Vehicle: 2006 Chevy Tahoe
campclanlouisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Need to know what the other prong on the plug goes to. If it is the hot wire for the brakes, I would be all under the trailer checking the brake wires. Just wiggling wires near trailer tongue is not good enough. Also, if the arc marks are near the ends, you didn't get it plugged in far enough. If they are well back on the prong, then the female part is stretched and loose, needs replacing. Just a couple of first thoughts. Also nice to know what brake controller you have, and was the light flashing with rhythm or just on sometimes, off sometimes. Details, details, details. But they really do make a difference.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Brake Controller is a Hopkins Agility.. As far a the light flashing no pattern at all sometimes may stay out for extended periods of time and then may come back on for 1-2 seconds. Also when traveling across bumps in the road light would sometimes flash. I believe the other prong is power lead if I am reading the color wire chart correctly. I have inspected pretty thoroughly all the connections to each brake and have pulled the ground wires out of the junction box and removed the wire nut and repositioned the wire to make sure none were loose. When I did that ,I found the trailer ground to the frame and checked it and cleaned and reattached. My trailer plug is molded and cannot be taken apart ( hence my thought on replacing it) As far as the plug being all the way in..there is a clip on the back side of the Truck plug that locks it in place when the plug is inserted all the way. I bought the trailer used and it is our first one so I am learning a whole bunch as I go. So thanks for all the input.
campclanlouisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just had another thought, don't forget to check the power wire to the brake controller. Up under the dash. The problem may not be in the trailer.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes