Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Electric Brake Installation Standards

I'm having some electric brake issues on my 2014 Forest River Wildcat 327CK FW. I know I can buy the RVIA standards for about $100, but I'm trying to avoid that at this time. Does anyone know if there's a site online where I can research or post and receive specific answers for a particular standard?

For example, I am experiencing random and uncontrolled braking. Whilst crawling under the unit, I noticed the electric brake wires are zip-tied to the springs. I'm fairly sure that's not an acceptable installation; in fact, I think it's prohibited to attach electric wires to part of the running gear, but it would help if I could point to a specific section of the installation standards/practices in my ongoing discussions with Forest River.*

I know uncontrolled braking signals could also be a TV issue, but I just had the truck checked out by Ford and they say the truck end is okay. This is just one of several poor manufacturing issues I've had with this unit. Anyone have a bright ideas? Thank you.*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150805_084402-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	84983  

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team
Think that is a very common procedure. I would focus on the actual connections. Many manufacturers use wire nuts or similar and they corrode or come loose. If you want to do it right, remove all the wire nuts solder the connections and cover with heat shrink tubing. You can shoot a little silicon in the tubing before you shrink it to improve the seal. If you have a newer truck with built in brake controller, it should have some basic diagnostics included ( open circuit or short). If the magnets are working properly, check the brake linings to insure that you do not have a seal leak that is compromising the operation. A little more on the nature of the abnormality might be useful.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Flybob, I've never in 40+ years seen electric wires attached to springs but maybe this is a new thing. The nature of the abnormality is I'm driving along at 65mph and the trailer brakes activate without me touching the brake pedal, which is scary. The FW is at the dealership today for this and other unresolved issues. I'm really trying to determine if FR screwed up by wiring the brakes thusly so I can use that against them if I have to.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Mine hang free from the belly pan to the cable holder on the rear of the backing plate.
dieselguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Check the breakaway switch and wiring to it. I've had similar problems with a 5r while traveling to Alaska. Lost all brakes between Dawson City Canada and Valdaz Alaska. And yes, it is possible to go 300 miles towing a 14k 5r with no brakes through the mountains. Just not pleasant and now have no hair on my head.

My problem was in the "breakaway" switch, which I finally found when I pulled over to contemplate the long descent into Valdez. By that time there was a long, narrow crease in the seat. Acting on a verbal diagnosis offered by an RV shop in Saskatoon, when problems were intermittent, pulled and re-inserted the breakaway plug a couple of times. Then, the brakes froze on and wires started to burn. Clipped the burning wires behind the switch in a move of sheer panic and desperation. When the smoke cleared, decided to inch back toward Anchorage for repairs, ONLY to find that the brakes now worked perfectly. Went on to Valdez sans breakaway. Had a new switch installed at Whitehorse on the way back.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Same happened to me in an older Class C. Wire to right rear brake went through the axle tube and insulation rubbed off where the wire exited the tube. With the movement of the rig, bare wire would go metal to metal and brake would activate. Follow all your brake wires and look for bad insulation causing wire to metal contact.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, brakes