Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

electric rear stabilizer install question

I'm looking to install an electric rear stabilization system to our travel trailer. Has anyone installed a rear electric stabilizer system on their travel trailer and if so do you have a preference for one of the major manufacturers, Lippert, UL etc. Do they do the job to stabilize the trailer and are they reliable and are they worth the money. I have a 2015 Rockwood UltraLite 2604WS that is not as stable as I'd like using the standard scissor jacks and frame jacks. Thanks in advance for any/all input.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
I'm looking to install an electric rear stabilization system to our travel trailer. Has anyone installed a rear electric stabilizer system on their travel trailer and if so do you have a preference for one of the major manufacturers, Lippert, UL etc. Do they do the job to stabilize the trailer and are they reliable and are they worth the money. I have a 2015 Rockwood UltraLite 2604WS that is not as stable as I'd like using the standard scissor jacks and frame jacks. Thanks in advance for any/all input.
Don't waste your money on the electric stabilizers . get the JT strong aroms or other similar product this will give you your desired results and other will not
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

If your not Happy with the Manual jacks,you will NOT be happy with the Elect.Stab jacks! Youroo!!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #4

I don't have them but a friend of mine does and they complain every time we go camping. The complaint stems from the fact that when the stabs touch the ground and offer just a little resistance the motor stops. This is normal. The problem is that the little motor doesn't have enough power to put enough pressure on the stabs. This allows the TT to "move" as one walks through it. The first mentioned it after being in my TT and noticed that it was not moving as their's was. There was a place to attach a hand crank to the electric stabs to tighten them up more.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Re:rear stabilizer system

I should elaborate a bit more bout my "wiggle" comment. The 2604WS has a unique rear stabilizer system. The scissor jacks are mounted at the extreme rear of the trailer frame. Also they are mounted on what appears to be framed extensions that are not strong enough for the task. After talking to the Rockwood folks, I got permission to "box" in the stabilizer mounting brackets without voiding the frame warranty. This provided a bit more "rigidity" but not what I'm looking for. The frame is a Lippert product and I have seen the Lippert electric cross frame stabilizer mounted on several UltraLite units. The mounting brakets for the system are on the frame and incidentally are about three feet forward of the rear bumper. So, all things being equal.ish, the electric system seems to afford a better solution to my quest for more stability.
I did consider the "strong arm" system, but there is no way to mount the stabilizer bar/rods to my trailer without major fabricating and modifying the frame. As a matter of fact, it was my original choice until the mounting problem presented itself.
I would still like to hear from folks that have electric cross frame stabilizer systems and their experiences with the system. Again thanks to all for the comments
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I should elaborate a bit more bout my "wiggle" comment. The 2604WS has a unique rear stabilizer system. The scissor jacks are mounted at the extreme rear of the trailer frame. Also they are mounted on what appears to be framed extensions that are not strong enough for the task. After talking to the Rockwood folks, I got permission to "box" in the stabilizer mounting brackets without voiding the frame warranty. This provided a bit more "rigidity" but not what I'm looking for. The frame is a Lippert product and I have seen the Lippert electric cross frame stabilizer mounted on several UltraLite units. The mounting brakets for the system are on the frame and incidentally are about three feet forward of the rear bumper. So, all things being equal.ish, the electric system seems to afford a better solution to my quest for more stability.
I did consider the "strong arm" system, but there is no way to mount the stabilizer bar/rods to my trailer without major fabricating and modifying the frame. As a matter of fact, it was my original choice until the mounting problem presented itself.
I would still like to hear from folks that have electric cross frame stabilizer systems and their experiences with the system. Again thanks to all for the comments
Agree with Youroo. I have the electric on my Hemi and they do stop way short of applying any real pressure. I'm in process of now adding JT Strong Arms. Problem with mine is I need to install a piece of angle iron under the tongue frame forward and larger frame section aft to act as the load source for the side -to-side arms.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
It works quite well IMO, remember they are not to level but stabilize. I have them on on mine plus the Lippert 4 point level up system, after I deploy the level up I always put down the rear system. Even through they look like they both stop together they do not. Once both hit the ground solid and you will hear the motor change and the rear rear lift slightly your done. If you want to take the bounce out then you need to add some scissor jacks before your tires. That is where your bounce is coming from, also add one or place one under your steps, you will be surprised how solid you become. If your going to Goshen you can buy a brand new set at the Amish junk yard 7 miles past the fair grounds for like 50.00 bucks, and then a motor for them. If you check Lipperts site they want like 5 x's that cost. Good luck hope that helps. My wife is sensitive to movement and these things I mentioned really helped....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I don't have them but a friend of mine does and they complain every time we go camping. The complaint stems from the fact that when the stabs touch the ground and offer just a little resistance the motor stops. This is normal. The problem is that the little motor doesn't have enough power to put enough pressure on the stabs. This allows the TT to "move" as one walks through it. The first mentioned it after being in my TT and noticed that it was not moving as their's was. There was a place to attach a hand crank to the electric stabs to tighten them up more.
I have the Leipert fore and aft and find them inadaquet for the reasons mentioned here. Also, due to their design, they support they provide is too much inboard. They are like an "A" design with the top of the A in the center. Scissors jacks mounted on the corners woul be more stable.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I have the Leipert fore and aft and find them inadaquet for the reasons mentioned here. Also, due to their design, they support they provide is too much inboard. They are like an "A" design with the top of the A in the center. Scissors jacks mounted on the corners woul be more stable.
Sorry to disagree with you, but if the legs are reinforced, they are very adequate with the addition of a set in front of the axles. Our 5er is rock solid using the rear stabs and the axle stabs in conjunction with the landing jacks and homemade JTStrongarms.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

If you are so inclined you can have my stabilizers and take I will take the scissor jacks.
One is not better than the other, just more expensive to replace when something goes wrong. If you want power jacks buy a cordless drill and the Camco 3/4" socket tool.
I would agree putting something in front of the axles helps. X chocks will slow some of the rocking.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
If you are so inclined you can have my stabilizers and take I will take the scissor jacks.
One is not better than the other, just more expensive to replace when something goes wrong. If you want power jacks buy a cordless drill and the Camco 3/4" socket tool.
I would agree putting something in front of the axles helps. X chocks will slow some of the rocking.
I'll ship you a pair of scissor jacks and you send me your power stab jacks.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:

We have electric stabilizer jacks on ours, still had some movement, bought the X-Chocks which did, in my opinion, improve the stability even more, but due to my wife's vertigo still felt uneasy. I bought 2 30" scissor jacks and placed them in front of the axles on the frame and she's satisfied no issues. So using all of the mentioned items I have a happy camping wife!

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric