Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Equa-Flex or shocks ?

Because my new trailer is a pretty heavy for 2 axles I was thinking to upgrade the suspension at least little bit. I thought shocks will be be great upgrade, but when I saw the Equa-Flex equalizer on Lippert web site I thought if this could be enough. Any idea or experience you guys have, which is a better way to go ?
THX milos
milosusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Always Learning

I have the Equa-Flex and would like to add shocks for a smoother ride back there.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #3

I installed the Equa-Flex on our TT. I honestly can't say how much difference it made, but IMO any amount of "cushion" is better than just the stock springs. For the little amount of $$ that they are I think they are worth it.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Added the Center Point Air system to our 36RE without shocks and it made a big difference in the ride and control of the unit. I hope to add shocks at the FROG in Aug. in hopes of improving ride more. Really like to Center Point system.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

I'm considering going with the equaflex suspension. I found a good deal and will be doing it hopefully in the spring. I figure I'm due to replace the nylon spring/equalizer bushings anyway. So that would be a good time to install them. I'm getting the kit with the bronze bushings and wet bolts.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I'm considering going with the equaflex suspension. I found a good deal and will be doing it hopefully in the spring. I figure I'm due to replace the nylon spring/equalizer bushings anyway. So that would be a good time to install them. I'm getting the kit with the bronze bushings and wet bolts.
Why you don't go with the Never fail bushings ?
milos
Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 AM   #7

Decades ago, before shocks were popular, i had a customer come in wanting shocks. He complained everything was flying around back there. Not knowing how he drove, i agreed to do the install with no guarantees as to his satisfaction. I got some monroe gas shocks installed with the understanding he was to report back. When he showed later he pointed to a glass ashtray on the rear dinette table and proclaimed...thats where she rides. Ive been sold on the idea every since...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #8

I have the Equa-flex today but after reading about the Joy Rider shocks in the September issue (I think) of trailer life, am contemplating adding them.

http://www.rvimprovementsystems.com
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
I have the Equa-flex today but after reading about the Joy Rider shocks in the September issue (I think) of trailer life, am contemplating adding them.

http://www.rvimprovementsystems.com

I want them after reading OldCoot's description. I'm just not sure who to go to for the fabrication and install.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #10

That's the thing with the Joy Rides. No fabrication necessary. Yes, you have to dril 16 holes for the top brackets but other than that it is pretty straight forward. Even uses the existing u bolts.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post

RV Improvement Systems
Thats a good looking kit IMHO....what they picture as the "other guys" install would be unacceptable to me. In the overslung axle "other guys" pic, I would cut the tie plate on the shock side and bend down 90degrees and gusset, then use that shock mount for a more vertical shock. Double post shock 9 to 13" travel at the mounts and gas charged. I ran close to 50/50 as they had. Parts stores have charts on shocks. Or hey...just get the kit. The old dexter kit had cheap shocks so I opted for my choice.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

Here's the article from trailer life.

http://www.rvimprovementsystems.com/..._Joy_Rider.pdf
Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #13
Always Learning

Thanks for the link QCC.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #14

To bad I don't saw this system before, I end up with Dexter EZ Flex with wet bolt kit and Lippert Shock kit. They are mounted on 40 degrees, hopefully they will work. After I mounted one side I thought I should cut the upper mount little bit on the top and maybe get couple more degrees. I attach the picture how I did it .
Milos
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #15

do the mod I described earlier...then just heat the upper mount ear and rotate to align with the new lower mount location. the lippert upper mount attachment looks a little better than the 4 self tappers ithe other system. the shock length should work ok...
Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #16

found the modified tie plate

i remembered seeing a tie plate i modified in the shop so i dug around and found it again. this is the mod i do to the dexter plate. you torch a little "v" so the gusset is angled to clear the shock body. this tie plate needs no mod for the underslung axle. it was developed before the overslung became common. i saw the way dexter was running the shock over the axle and did not like it so I came up with this. since the shock mount drops down, the mod will typically work with the existing upper mount. so, Milos, if you do this mod and heat and tweek the upper mount to align you should be much better angularity wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	70534  
Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #17

Thanks Crockett, I will look on it.
THX milos
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #18

JoyRider Shock System

I read several posts about adding shocks to a travel trailer and most of it seemed positive. Has anyone installed a Joy Rider Shock System on a TT?
Joy Rider

I have a 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK.

If you have used this system, did it improve trailer stability and reduce the bounce inside? Was it complicated to install?

Thanks!
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #19

prolly the easiest install on an rv with a belly pan. A cursory look shows no issues.../
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
I read several posts about adding shocks to a travel trailer and most of it seemed positive. Has anyone installed a Joy Rider Shock System on a TT?
Joy Rider

I have a 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK.

If you have used this system, did it improve trailer stability and reduce the bounce inside? Was it complicated to install?

Thanks!
I installed the Lippert shocks and after one trip they look like that, hitting tires. I switched to the Joy Rider system. Lippert stated in installation manual that you need to have a minimum 2.5 " space between the tires and the frame I do have 3 " but still they hit tires. I called them and they set should be minimum 4 ", but they ignored when I set that instruction say 2.5 "...go figure .
The Joy ride are more money, but they fit great and shocks are angled more how they should than with the Lippert system.
milos
Here is a Lippert shocks after 500 miles

Joy ride installed