Old 11-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

Etching on aluminum rims

Bought a 2020 cedar creek in april, we did 7 trips thru october, 3 of them were out of state. After washing the wheels getting ready for winter, I noticed that the wheels had some kind of etching or something going on under the clearcoat/anodizing. Has anyone else had these problems and were you able to repair them or had to replace them. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191103_172030-1.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	219717

wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #2

I'd contact the dealer. They're likely going to say it's normal but I bet there is some kind of warranty there.

The clear is likely failing.

007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
D W

My neighbor had the same problem with the wheels on his 2017 5er. On top of that two of the wheels had hair-line cracks in the spokes. He attributed it to cheap Chinese aluminum-alloy. He took it back to the dealer. FR offered to replace the wheels. My neighbor told FR he wanted steel wheels as replacements. FR Okayed it and covered the cost of wheels, demounting/mounting and balancing.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
Brake is on left

Welcome to the world of EPA mandates. Low VOC rules don't mean the paints are "low" VOC, it means they use less paint. Thinner coats are prone to failure. A lot of folks have noticed that car hoods get nicks a lot more easily than they used to for the exact same reason. This is pretty common across all vehicles. The remedy is replacement or chemical/ bead blast the clear off.
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Retired Old Fart

If you don't have any luck with the dealer or Forest River, the rims on FR products are usually from Lions Head so you might try them. Your photo looks like the Jaguar silver 8 bolt (8x6.5 HD pattern) to me. They have warranty contact info on their website in a PDF at the link below. It does list a contact email and phone number.

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.co...im-Form_V2.pdf

I'm not positive, but I think their standard wheel warranty is 1 year. I would think you are good even if the dealer and FR don't make good on this.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Welcome to the world of EPA mandates. Low VOC rules don't mean the paints are "low" VOC, it means they use less paint. Thinner coats are prone to failure. A lot of folks have noticed that car hoods get nicks a lot more easily than they used to for the exact same reason. This is pretty common across all vehicles. The remedy is replacement or chemical/ bead blast the clear off.
I actually have an appointment in january at amish family rv and jolisa said they would swap out for new ones and they could clearcoat them if I wanted to. Do you think adding more clear would solve the problem?
Old 11-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
If you don't have any luck with the dealer or Forest River, the rims on FR products are usually from Lions Head so you might try them. Your photo looks like the Jaguar silver 8 bolt (8x6.5 HD pattern) to me. They have warranty contact info on their website in a PDF at the link below. It does list a contact email and phone number.

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.co...im-Form_V2.pdf

I'm not positive, but I think their standard wheel warranty is 1 year. I would think you are good even if the dealer and FR don't make good on this.
I actually stumbled onto their website and the jaguar looks like the same rim. Thursday I put a call into their warranty dept. and left a message but havent heard anything back.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #8

The problem in the picture may well be from road grit getting caught up in the slipstream of tow vehicle and trailer.

Depending on the direction or rotation for the wheel pictured the damage is on only one "edge" which could be leading or trailing. Because it's apparent on a single edge and presents the same on multiple spokes that would be my guess.

If so, not much will cure that as it just goes with driving down roads that have "grit" often left over from winter.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The problem in the picture may well be from road grit getting caught up in the slipstream of tow vehicle and trailer.

Depending on the direction or rotation for the wheel pictured the damage is on only one "edge" which could be leading or trailing. Because it's apparent on a single edge and presents the same on multiple spokes that would be my guess.

If so, not much will cure that as it just goes with driving down roads that have "grit" often left over from winter.
That wheel is on the curbside of the rig and it would be turning clockwise. The damage is on the leading edge of the spokes. But you wouldnt think that they would damage so easily, being that they would be installed on a camper that could potentially travel thousands of miles annually.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne272 View Post
That wheel is on the curbside of the rig and it would be turning clockwise. The damage is on the leading edge of the spokes. But you wouldnt think that they would damage so easily, being that they would be installed on a camper that could potentially travel thousands of miles annually.

Agreed but it all depends on a lot of factors. How the air moves through the wheels, how much grit is airborne as it passes under and alongside the vehicle, etc. Conditions will vary from area to area. I recall driving in Colorado one winter when there was so much wind-blown dirt in the air I thought the front of the car was going to have all the paint blasted off the headlight cover "doors".

Frankly I don't think wheel manufacturers give much thought to damage from large airborne particles and merely spray them with a clear coat not unlike clear Krylon. Higher end wheels are often hard anodized, chromed, or powder coated. OEM wheels for RV's are not typically "high end".

FWIW, mine are starting to show similar wear on the finish but I'm not going to stay up nights worrying. While driving nobody notices. When camping or parked long periods I cover them and they can't be seen. In a way I put it in the same category as rock chips on the plastic pieces at the front of my truck. It happens.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #11

Yep, mine 2, same wheel, same issue 1 year old+-. Assumed low quality inexpensive wheels from, You guessed it, Lions Head of China to go with the made in China Tires. Plan to paint the flawed portion Black to match back ground which is black on mine, after I purchase new tires made in the USA. Too bad the tariff wasn't enforced when RV's were built.

cruisin
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinhwy66 View Post
Yep, mine 2, same wheel, same issue 1 year old+-. Assumed low quality inexpensive wheels from, You guessed it, Lions Head of China to go with the made in China Tires. Plan to paint the flawed portion Black to match back ground which is black on mine, after I purchase new tires made in the USA. Too bad the tariff wasn't enforced when RV's were built.

cruisin

When you get ready to paint, give some thought to this:

https://smile.amazon.com/LCW-DC44-Du...556155&sr=8-16

It's used to "paint" firearms and is super durable. I've painted several rifle actions and barrels with this product and if prepped properly you have to actually bead blast it off after it's cured if you want to remove it. Just because people mostly use it for firearms doesn't mean it can't be used where one needs a super durable paint.

I just use a cheap airbrush to apply. Heating the work piece first with a heat gun or hair dryer makes it cure a lot quicker. Also available in different finishes like Gloss or Flat Black as well as other colors.

I would avoid the expensive aerosol cans in favor of the two part product you can mix and spray with an airbrush. I bought one aerosol can and the valve plugged. An awful expensive can I couldn't use.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'd contact the dealer. They're likely going to say it's normal but I bet there is some kind of warranty there.

The clear is likely failing.
X2, replace the wheels, you paid for them and the warranty, if you are out of warranty they can be refinished ive done it, replace with steel wheels like the op says no way, alloy is allot stronger
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #14

Dog Pee can mess up an aluminium rim in no time.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #15
Site Team

My 4 year old alloy rims are doing the same thing. Lines of gray oxidation much like the grooves on an LP record. Somewhat worse than the one's pictured.

My rims have a texture on the face so polishing them out is probably not an option. I've googled for a recipe and found something that uses lemon juice and vinegar and a couple other ingredients but haven't tried it. The weather turned from summer to winter around here so fast I didn't get the job done....
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne272 View Post
I actually have an appointment in january at amish family rv and jolisa said they would swap out for new ones and they could clearcoat them if I wanted to. Do you think adding more clear would solve the problem?
It is possible but..... without knowing if the root issue is adhesion or thickness you may end up in the same pickle. If the factory clear has separated from the wheel then additional coats of clear may not help. If the clear got compromised from road grit then it will help protect them.
Sorry that is not much help. If the additional clear coat is not too expensive then it may be worth the risk.
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #17

Mine have the same issue and are made by Hi spec I'm pretty sure it is just the clear coat as nothing cleans it off.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #18

another coat of clear will not do anything, i think you will still see corrosion but hiding under new clear coat, its too bad but kinda normal for this to happen when the wheel has not been properly prepped and painted, i see it all the time on cars that i work on, example is my honda element 2005 wheels are painted and still look good, my toy tacoma 2005 wheels look awful and corroded like there 50 years old, they need cleaned, google wheel repair and there are places around that will put them in a machine and clean the wheels like new and will paint and clear coat again, the last wheels i know of cost 140 bucks for a refinise, not too bad if you have to pay, i did refinish 4 alloy wheels several years ago and its a ton of work and time consuming
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Dog Pee can mess up an aluminium rim in no time.
Tomcat urine is worse. I used to think dogs were bad until a Tomcat came to live with us.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Tomcat urine is worse. I used to think dogs were bad until a Tomcat came to live with us.
I've heard several people say the same thing. Guess I'm lucky to NOT have first hand knowledge of this.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum