Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Ever seen a spindle like this one ?

I decided to pull the wheels and drums this weekend to check the bearings and brakes. We purchased this 2 year old trailer a couple months back used from a local dealer who said they serviced the bearings and brakes as part of their inspection program. You think they would have mentioned one of the spindles looked different.
All I can say is wow ! I've never seen a spindle look like this before.
It appears to seal as the brake area was dry and the bearings appear to be ok. It does not look like the bearings spun so I have no clue what could cause this. I wonder if it came from the factory like this.
The other side is normal.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/K0Jmz4d.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1w5PUM0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/DCvErAQ.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5MOR1b3.jpg[/img]

Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

OH brother!

That looks like someone lost a bearing and run it for some miles.
Last IMG looks like they cut the inner race off with a grinder.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Looks like the brgs have spun at one time and were cut off and the spindle smoothed and new brgs installed. Luckily the seal surface was not damaged.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Holy S--T, you are not going to leave that in place and use it are you?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

It's already proven it is still good, just doesn't look good. I wouldn't be afraid of it. Wouldn't like it, but would still use it.
Doesn't look like a replaceable spindle either with the EZ lube drilling.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

I would be right back to that dealer and insist he have the same tech. that "serviced" it then pull it back apart and see what they have to say for themselves. But that's just me.

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

I did not think of someone doing a repair like that .
I knocked the races out and trial fit them since I have new ones coming. It's not a perfect fit. I also looked at how close the seal is to all the damage and it is surprising it was holding grease in. So I'm going to replace this axle, Question, this is an Al-Ko easylube axle and on it I found a part #402721AD which I suppose is worthless and a code 76/57BM HF. Since the center of the spring mounts is 57" is the other number (76) the Track Length ? This is for a Coachman 16FB that we bought to see if we liked trailers enough to consider buying a larger truck and trailer later on. So far it's been a learning experience on why we will never deal with a certain dealership. I had just removed the axle so I could weld new perches on it and mount it to the bottom of the springs. Wish I had pulled the brake drums first as I would have saved the new perches and my welding time.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
phat phrog stunt crew

I saw something similar on a 48 ford coupe once, but it had been sitting for years. Probably parked like that.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #9

You can find new axles with new drums and springs all set up for under $200.00, 2 gel filled connectors and you are good to go.I picked up an axle paid $170.00 a couple weeks ago, direct bolt up.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

The last pic shows damage to the seal land area. A double lip seal was prolly why he prevailed with no issues. In a traditional bearing pack, the seal acts more like a dust seal than a grease seal, in that the grease has no tendency to force its way out. The rough land does like to chew seals though. The lands for the bearings should be tight and not allow the bearing to rock to be passable. The thrust land for the inner bearing should have no high spots. It looks like they butchered it pretty good getting the races off, but did a pretty good job cleaning it up. OC is right in his posting IMHO. I done emergency repairs like this before. The 76 may be hub face or overall tip to tip. Ive ordered axles with hub face, tip to tip, or backingplate flange dimensions...just get the bearing numbers.