Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Excessive Movement when Setup

We have a 2019 Riverstone 39RKFB. We took delivery first week in Oct. 2018. Than 3 short weeks later headed south for the winter. We have been experiencing excessive movement in the 5th wheel while setup. We have the LCI 6 Point Hydraulic Leveling System. Our previous 5th wheel was a Alpenlite Cypress 34' (39.6 feet overall). It only had the Atwood electric landing legs in front and scissor jacks in the rear and it never moved 1/2 as bad as this unit does with 6 hydraulic jacks. We've tried using 12x12 wood pads so the jacks don't extend as much as without. Even on a concrete pad the 5th still moves to much. I've sent several e-mails to Forest River Inc, but have not received anything in return. I than contacted Lippert, at first they tried to help with adding anti foaming fluid incase of air in the system, they asked me to hook up to truck and run the jacks up & down over 10 times, make sure the tank on the hydraulic pump is at the correct level, than try again. Still hasn't worked, now I have noticed the 2 rear jacks behind the wheels are dirty the other 4 are clean like they just came out of the box. I tried to contact Lippert again to let them know about possible leak in the jacks, (I keep checking tank level hasn't gone down any), but they have now put me on ignor just like Forest River has. I have contacted my dealer in Canada but they can't do anything until I bring the 5th wheel to them to look at. This trailer has a dry weight of 16,200 lbs I thing this 6 point system is still too small or lite for this size of trailer. My wife is all of 130 lbs and when she walks around in the kitchen, the trailer moves and bounces like I don't have any jacks down. Any one else having this issue.
mcartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

You mention that the jacks behind the wheels are dirty, whereas the other 4 (presumably in front of the wheels) are clean.
Do you mean the rear ones are oily/greasy versus the others?

When you deploy the jacks is someone outside watching for them to touch down and stabilize?
Are you able to deploy them individually or in pairs, or do they all mov at the same time?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #3

Yes the jacks look like they are dirty from oil leak both at the top and the bottom of the outer cylinder, don't see any oil pooling around the jack base yet.
Yes I have watched the jacks touch down when leveling I have the app on my phone to control the jacks while outside watching them.
On this system you cannot operate one jack at a time, You can operate the front jacks, than operate the rear (all 4) at the same time ,and you can operate them for side to side leveling.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Failure is my business

I don't know much about these systems but if you have a 6 point hydraulic system and it still moves, it sounds like it's still sitting with most of the weight on the suspension. Can you jack it up until the tires are unloaded? Then it won't be able to move.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

I did try that during the first 3 weeks while still at home before going south. It did make a big difference but when I went to hook up to the truck the system lost its memory for "Auto-Hitch-Height".. I had to manually retract the rear jacks and than manually raise the front jacks to hook up to my truck. (Not a big deal, but want to make sure it wont hurt the system over time, seeing how its a brand new trailer). I had asked Lippert if that would hurt the warranty or cause damage to the system manually operating it like that, but they haven't answered me yet. Haven't found anything online either.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
Failure is my business

Looking at the manual, I'd expect that you can reset the zero point to be a bit higher so it unloads the suspension a bit more. Hopefully lippert can confirm for you.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:53 AM   #7

Our fifth wheel has the 6=point levelling system, also. The back ones are just behind the tires and there is about 15 feet of RV behind them. We installed a set of scissor jacks on the very rear, which is under the living room. When we are set up for more than 1 night, we utilize them and it has helped tremendously.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #8

I don't have and am not familiar with those systems, but I'd have to agree with others that not enough weight is being taken off the suspension. If I understand those systems correctly, you can pretty much lift the tires off the ground if needed. Is that correct with this style ???
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #9
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I don't have and am not familiar with those systems, but I'd have to agree with others that not enough weight is being taken off the suspension. If I understand those systems correctly, you can pretty much lift the tires off the ground if needed. Is that correct with this style ???
We have the 6 point and have, by accident lifted all 4 tires off the ground, so I know the system is strong enough. If you have all 6 jacks down and JUST lift the front, the system will bleed off spme on the rear 4, sp you will not damage anything. When I raise the front to hitch up I don't worry about the rears . After hitched I just hit all retract and all done . We don't have any moving problems with our unit.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

I have manually raised the 5th up about 2 more inches, I also added 2 hydraulic bottle jacks at the back. It has made a slight difference, but still moves to much in my opinion. Our neighbor has a 2019 Cedar Creek 32' 5th with the same jacks system, I talked to him and he invited me over to see the difference in his unit than he came over to mine and couldn't believe how much my unit move when I walked around. We head for home in 2 weeks I will try going a little higher when I setup at home as there I'm on a concrete pad, and see if it gets any better. If not than I contact my dealer to see what they can do.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #11

Is the soil sandy? If so you might try placing a larger pad under the jacks?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #12

Have you checked where the jacks are bolted to the frame to ensure they are tight? Also, how far are your rams extended as compared to your neighbors? I moved my jacks down a hole or two as they were mounted too high from the factory.

If you have 'dirty' jacks, there is a leak. Call the Lippert tech line and talk to them. I have found them very helpful in diagnosing problems with my system. They have even sent me free parts!

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #13

My neighbor has his jacks extended without blocks... I made 12"x12" pads for mine approx. 6" high.. As for the bottle jacks, my unit came with the bike rack welded to the frame, so I have the bottle jacks there which is directly under the main frame rail.... I did try calling Lippert tech support but was on hold for over 45 mins until I received another call and hung up.. So I sent an e-mail inquiry and have e-mailed back and forth with tech support a few times... But, I Think because I voiced my opinion in one of my e-mails that maybe this system is too lite for this size of trailer, and now they put me on ignor...
Old 03-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcartier View Post
My neighbor has his jacks extended without blocks... I made 12"x12" pads for mine approx. 6" high.. As for the bottle jacks, my unit came with the bike rack welded to the frame, so I have the bottle jacks there which is directly under the main frame rail.... I did try calling Lippert tech support but was on hold for over 45 mins until I received another call and hung up.. So I sent an e-mail inquiry and have e-mailed back and forth with tech support a few times... But, I Think because I voiced my opinion in one of my e-mails that maybe this system is too lite for this size of trailer, and now they put me on ignor...
The system is not to lite, Have you tried X-chocks?? Made a huge difference in mine.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
The system is not to lite, Have you tried X-chocks?? Made a huge difference in mine.
Agreed. System not too light. My friend has the exact same hydraulic leveler system that I do. His RV is 16k+ and mine is 11k. No problems with either one as far as handling weight. His RV is a 2016, and the new ones I've seen have different controllers but the jacks and pump look the same to me.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcartier View Post
My neighbor has his jacks extended without blocks... I made 12"x12" pads for mine approx. 6" high..
I would try without the blocks. That's a cheap and easy experiment.

Last summer I watched a guy fight with very tall blocks under his auto leveling 5er. When he removed them, the levelers seemed to work better.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote