Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

EZ-lube spindle retrofit on older axles

My dad is purchasing a 2000 MY camper that is in very good condition for it's age. It's not a Forest River, but I get better responses here than other sites, and I don't think brand will matter. It's a Jayco Eagle 166FBS (front bed slide). Dry weight is 6100. GVWR is 8500. I'm betting he'll be towing at around 7100 lbs or so, with a 9000 lb rated (HD tow package) '07 Expedition EL. I don't know the axle ratings. The wheels are 6x5.5 bolt circle.

The camper has been sitting for 10-11 years in the owner's daughter's backyard (about 2.5 hours from my parents' place, and used like an in-laws quarters when they come to visit the kids/grandkids. All the appliances work well, but not having been moved that long, the running gear is a concern.

Dad has new wheel/tires and a Prodigy P3 on order from etrailer. He is planning on pulling the hubs and repacking the bearings before he pulls it home.

1. Sitting for 10 years. I would think the bearings aren't any worse off than when the trailer was initially parked? Should he just put the new tires on, drive it home, and check the bearings in his pullbarn with more comfort?

2. Wherever he does the bearing work, is it possible to replace the spindles with EZ-Lube type while he is in there? I'm not sure if spindles are bolted in place, welded, or other.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

I would most definitely repack the bearings / hubs Before moving the trailer. You never know what's gone on in 10 years. I personally am
paranoid about pulling the bearings on new trailers & greasing them.
It hasn't happened to me personally but I've seen too many trailers
broken down on the side of the road for lack of a good greasing.
It's one of those "dirty jobs" that no body wants to do.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

X2 pull inspect and grease the seal could have dry rotted and water or anything gotten in.

Bearings could be rusted or just need greased 2 ounces of prevention is worth 5 pounds of cure
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

As for changing the standard spindles out for EZ-Lube spindles, it's more of a job than you might think. The spindles are welded to the axle tubes. It would be much easier to change out the entire axle assemblies. I think I'd inspect and repack the existing bearings and be sure to inspect the brake assemblies and replace the shoes and support hardware if needed, before it's moved.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Honestly...and maybe it's because I did something wrong but after a couple blow wheel seals I stopped using the ezlube fittings and now just repack the old fashioned way.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Honestly...and maybe it's because I did something wrong but after a couple blow wheel seals I stopped using the ezlube fittings and now just repack the old fashioned way.
Did you spin the wheels as you pumped in the new grease? I understand that this is an important step in keeping the rear seals intact.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #7

EZ Lube is NOT a DIY job in the field! Just Pull what is there now and Replace with NEW "Seals and Bearings" now you and your Dad will be Pleased! Youroo!!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #8

Yes and I didn't have any issues the first couple years but over the last couple years I've lost 3 seals and ruined the brake lining. I think I was over greasing.. because it was easy. They probably didn't need greased as much as I was doing it. Also, by design, the grease passage is between the inside bearing and seal. You are putting pressure on the seal while greasing. I think you run the risk everytime you pump. Unfortunately you won't know until the damage is done.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #9

Btw, I'm not knocking the idea. I think it's a great concept. Just not for me due to personal experience.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Btw, I'm not knocking the idea. I think it's a great concept. Just not for me due to personal experience.
I agree, good concept, just doesn't seem to pan out in real life. I am not a fan of ez-lube. I would rather pull the wheels once a year and inspect everything, grease everything, and know it was done correctly.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
Jack of All Trades

I'd change the bearings also.

After sitting for 10 years it's a good chance the rollers and races have flat-spotted.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #12

I guess I miss the point of removing the bearing in an EZ Lube spindle & the packing the bearing. The EZ Lube spindles are designed to replace old grease with new grease thru push thru effect. Unless there is some reason to think the bearing/races are bad, this is a way to keep fresh grease in/around the bearing on a more frequent time line.
utahlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahlucky View Post
I guess I miss the point of removing the bearing in an EZ Lube spindle & the packing the bearing. The EZ Lube spindles are designed to replace old grease with new grease thru push thru effect. Unless there is some reason to think the bearing/races are bad, this is a way to keep fresh grease in/around the bearing on a more frequent time line.
There are real good between regular service but a good inspection and readjustment once a year is better
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Amen!!!!! I followed the instructions EXACTLY and still had grease all over the brakes on 2 of my 4 wheels. First time in 30+ years of RV ownership that I've had/used the EZ Lub system instead of hand packing. My mistake, and I assure you, I'll never make it again.
Take the time to remove and inspect hub's and bearings. Clean and repack the bearings by hand assuming everything looks to be in good shape.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #15

Ezlube spindle

Definitely remove and inspect as others have stated,
The EZ lubes are just ok (I thought) for periodic between complete removal and inspection and repack every year.
I had dealer repack mine 18 mos ago. In between I always re lube with EZ lube all while jacking and spinning the wheel. Thinking I was doing good.
I just lost a bearing and a wheel this past weekend after a 175 mile trip en route to home.
On this trip I constantly monitor temps at every (we made 3) stops. All hubs were within 10 degrees of each other about 120 degrees.
Got to my driveway and could not believe my eyes, wheel practically fell off, grease all over, bearings destroyed.
In process now of dressing the axle (looks ok after some light Emory. I'm replacing all four wheel bearings American made. Unit is 3 yrs old. LippertAxles axle, Made in China stamped on bearings. This wheel could have come off and done some real damage to my TT or worse someone's windshield behind me.
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahlucky View Post
Sounds good until you end up on the side of the road at night, raining etc with a wheel that is about to fall off or extremely hot. I view pulling the wheels, cleaning and repacking as good solid preventative maintenance. Just me.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #17

Ez lube axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Sounds good until you end up on the side of the road at night, raining etc with a wheel that is about to fall off or extremely hot. I view pulling the wheels, cleaning and repacking as good solid preventative maintenance. Just me.
X2 A Men. I will never have faith in anything except removal and inspect and repack
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle