Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
2014 XLR 27HFS

Failed Bearing, trying to get home

On our way home from a week of camping and had a bearing failure. Just had them repacked earlier this year. Spent hours at NAPA trying to find the right bearing with no luck. Difficult to get service on this holiday weekend.

I am wondering if there is a web site that tells me the exact part numbers I need for the inner and outer bearings and seals. We have a 2014 XLR 27HFS. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:51 AM   #2

If you have the axle part number (stamped on the axle usually) you can get it from dexter or lippert. We would need axle weights and type to know.

I have found success with etrailer. If you call them they will help you with what you need to get the right parts. Since you are on the road maybe order one from them as a spare as a reward and then go buy the part number locally.

Someone may know more than me but that is what I used to get mine. I have a different model.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #3

Had this happen to us last summer up in Sioux Falls, SD on a vacation that was already a week longer than planned. I feel for you.

I know you want to fix yourself. However, if you're like me you likely didn't bring everything and there may be damage on the axle as well (there was on mine.. the nut had welded itself to the spindle). I'd recommend calling around on Monday for a trailer repair shop (for semi's) in the area. The one I went to put me right in and we were rolling that afternoon.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #4

Ditto

Changing a bearing on a trailer is a messy but, doable job, if there is no axle damage.

A shop is a good plan if close. Driving on a bad bearing is a bad plan.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

If you have the hub off and can get the center part of the bearing off and cleaned up, you may be able to read the part number. It's almost always engraved there. Then most any bearing dealers would be able to help you out.

Good luck!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

If you are close to available goods and services the easiest way to do this would be to pull the brake drum and just inspect the bearings. There will be a number on the bearing and then matching it up with that number is easier. Farm supply stores or even Autozone may be able to help you out.

Dexter will be closed until Monday. If you call them with your axle number they can quickly give you the proper bearing number and seal information.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
I am wondering if there is a web site that tells me the exact part numbers I need for the inner and outer bearings and seals. We have a 2014 XLR 27HFS. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The axle manufacturers website is probably the best bet. There should be a tag on the axle near the middle that will give you the make and serial number of the axle. I called Dexter and they had a hub assembly at my door in 24 hours regular shipping. Price was less than even the local trailer place.
If you have the bearing # (inner and outer are different) then you can simply buy those bearings with new races and press them into your existing hub. It is not recommended to use the old races with new bearings.
As a last resort, you can use the GAWR and match up the appropriate bearing capacity, inner and outer diameter to what you need. I have done that with great success.
As mentioned, now is also the time to get a spare for the road as well. Personally, I carry an entire assembly. It isnt great having a 100 lb box taking up storage but having the hub/ drum greased and ready to go is peace of mind. I can do a roadside swap in under 30 minutes if there is no spindle damage.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Dexter light duty axles rated 3500#-4,000# USUALLY have these bearings installed

L68111/L68149 (Inner)
L44610/L44649 (outer)

The two numbers are for the "race" and "cone". Some auto parts stores carry them in a set which may have a different number but the individual parts will have those numbers..

Here's the part's list from Dexter:

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=3adee048_0

This set of bearings has been used for decades on travel trailers. I still carry the same spares for my 2018 that I bought for my old 1995.

There should be a number on the seal as well.

Best bet is to take the drum assembly with when you go to the A/P store. MOST will carry bearings for these common trailers but few will actually have a catalog showing them by trailer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Look on one of the still good bearings for a number. I’ll bet they are all the same.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #10

Smile Broken bearings

We have it happen twice, 1st time under warr. 2nd time diff. wheel on fire.
both wheels had broken bearings. Forest River paid for the 1st, We paid for
second: $1300 , new axle. 2013 & 2014. No problems now.
Titan2018 Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
ARLO

Don’t try to make it. You won’t.. It’s not a bad fix it we have a few two. The bearing numbers are stamped on the bearings checked the races real close. You can reset the bearings put them in and you should be able to make it home and take a garage make sure there’s nothing else wrong with it.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #12

It s likely most any car parts place would have the bearing if you can read the number on it.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #13

Once repaired an excellent tool to check bearing condition is a non touch infrared temperature “gun”. They are available from Harbor Freight for about $30. I use mine as a part of my walk around inspection at every stop. I check tire, bearing and brake temp on every wheel. I look for wheel to wheel variance. Very useful.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Had this happen to us last summer up in Sioux Falls, SD on a vacation that was already a week longer than planned. I feel for you.

I know you want to fix yourself. However, if you're like me you likely didn't bring everything and there may be damage on the axle as well (there was on mine.. the nut had welded itself to the spindle). I'd recommend calling around on Monday for a trailer repair shop (for semi's) in the area. The one I went to put me right in and we were rolling that afternoon.
Same thing happened with me but the wheel came off as well. Got to a big truck repair shop where they determined I needed to replace the axle, brakes, hub, everything. Being more knowledgeable about big trucks, they couldn't find an axle. I Googled it myself and found the exact axle on etrailer's home page. Shop ordered it, but due to an ice storm in Dallas, where the axle was shipped from, it took a week to get to the shop. Quick job once the parts were in, but the whole thing cost us two weeks. It's a good thing we're retired. I hope you have better luck than we did.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Once repaired an excellent tool to check bearing condition is a non touch infrared temperature “gun”. They are available from Harbor Freight for about $30. I use mine as a part of my walk around inspection at every stop. I check tire, bearing and brake temp on every wheel. I look for wheel to wheel variance. Very useful.
Just remember that a bearing isn't the only thing that can heat up a hub. Braks dump a lot of heat into hubs too if they are used heavily.

I'm pretty much a "coaster" when it comes to pulling into rest areas. Just lift throttle and coast once I leave the freeway and minimize brake use so when I check hubs they aren't heated up from the recent use of brakes.

Just an FYI

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #16

That is true. I check brake drum temp through wheel openings and take that into consideration. I found a loose brake back plate that caused a dragging shoe that way.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #17
TRD

Hope the OP is ok

Lots of member replies to a serious & inconvenient issue while traveling.
And no update reply or additional info from OP?
2018-12 days/2019-83 days/2020-12
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Lots of member replies to a serious & inconvenient issue while traveling.
And no update reply or additional info from OP?
My guess is they are busy sourcing the parts and finding a shop or tools...hope they are making progress.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #19

Check around for a mobile repair service. Our bearing went out last month just south of Birmingham Al, overheated and caught fire. $1700 tow an a flatbed tractor trailer, needs new axel. We drove back to Pa without it and are leaving Tuesday to go pick it up. Hope there was no axel damage.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #20

I know this is going to stir it up. My son, friend and myself checked wheel bearings on our TT's all of use found that the bearings were packed with grease but the hollow cavity of the hub was bone dry. Some will say they don't need to be packed full of grease. I differ because if the hub is full of grease it will say keep the bearings greased.

Tags
led