Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJalbertacanada View Post
Just off the phone with a local welding shop (the welding shop in Calgary Alberta), they have repaired lots (he couldn't even guess at a number) of lippert frames during what sounded like a recall in 2005-2009, he even mentioned there was a procedure sent to them by lippert. So it sounds like they know the drill. Over the phone site unseen, if all skin/floor is removed I am looking at approx. 1000$ to reinforce the kingpin crossmembers.

The RV place we purchased from sends all welding there, I am hoping that they agree there is a problem and help with the repair.

Will keep you posted

Best news of this thread! A repair not a patch.... This problem continues for years, best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #32
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJalbertacanada View Post
Just off the phone with a local welding shop (the welding shop in Calgary Alberta), they have repaired lots (he couldn't even guess at a number) of lippert frames during what sounded like a recall in 2005-2009, he even mentioned there was a procedure sent to them by lippert. So it sounds like they know the drill. Over the phone site unseen, if all skin/floor is removed I am looking at approx. 1000$ to reinforce the kingpin crossmembers.

The RV place we purchased from sends all welding there, I am hoping that they agree there is a problem and help with the repair.

Will keep you posted
Sounds like you're on track. This all should be NO cost to you. The dealer would remove the fascia and have the welder come to them and do the repair. Then the dealer reinstalls and foots the bill. Then the dealer will submit total cost to Forest River for reimbursement covered under warranty. All that only if Forest River agrees.
You still have a hurtle but I see no reason for them to deny unless there's proof of negligence such as a jack knife for example.

05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #33

I bet the welder is busy fixing chuck wagons right now. Maybe in a week or two!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #34

I have a forest river sierra 375qbq and the skin is coming apart just under the drivers side slide. Also, there is a crack in the skin on the top of the slide. Both are on the same side of the rv. From what I'm reading here I think my rig is flexing in the structure causing this damage. Am I correct? Also I'm having issues with the drivers side drooping once I drop the landing gear. Could this be related?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #35

First off I should update the current status of our rig. Since posting my last comment we have put 5500Kms on the trailer.

1) Our dealer went to lippert with my concerns, their reply was, some road flex is normal.
2) Dealer went to FR and FR stated that the wardrobe side panel needed more glue and some road flex was normal.

SOLUTION....MORE GLUE.

It was basically confirmed to me that unless obvious failure occurred no manufacturer will do anything. So with the added glue the wardrobe has indeed stayed put for now.

Now my personal opinion, this whole situation was made worse by a solid lippert 1621 pinbox, I have since swapped for a Reese 5th airborne and the road shock has been drastically reduced, this will no doubt prolong the life of the frame. IMHO no 5th wheel should be on the road without some form of isolation between the truck and trailer.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #36

James,

Can you post a picture of the drivers side cracks?

Also, try the below for a quick reference of how much movement you are getting, sounds like you have reason to be concerned about the front end.

1) With the Trailers full weight on the landing gear Take a pencil hold it flat to the underside of your front cap and trace a line along your pinbox
2) Now lower your trailer onto the hitch until the landing gear are off the ground, trace the same line.

The result should give you an idea of how much movement you have between the "non structural" body work and your frame. More than a 1/2" and you have reason to be concerned.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:09 AM   #37

I will do that tomorrow. It flexes quite a bit. Enough to separate the joint seam on the skin and the seam along the bottom.

Tags
fifth wheel, frame, wheel