Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #1

Thumbs down Fifth wheel suspension

Just took delivery of a SANIBEL 3500 fifth wheel. The suspension has several zero fittings, none showing evidence of ever being greased. Tried a grease gun on them and none will take grease. Any suggestions?
Bmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcgill
Just took delivery of a SANIBEL 3500 fifth wheel. The suspension has several zero fittings, none showing evidence of ever being greased. Tried a grease gun on them and none will take grease. Any suggestions?
Remove grease zerks and try new ones.
Or try one of these to clear rust and blockages from zerk and grease path.

http://www.randrdistributing.net/grease_buster.htm

Welcome to the forum !
Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

On some of my equipment when the grease injector tool (that you fill w/grease and then hit the plunger w/hammer) wont work, we have to pull the pin past the grease hole and then you can pump the grease gun and the plug will just come right out. I finally just decided to save some time and mess and pull the pin as soon as I realize the zerk wont take grease. But you might get lucky and the tool will push it right thru.

As far as I have seen and encountered this and a faulty zerk or gun tip is about all that can be done and we use several cases of grease a year and one machine we had to pull the pins all the time.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Another thing- bearings require a high-temp grease but most other areas do not, but when temps get warmer the non high-temp grease will liquify slightly and it will create a "plug" more easily than a high temp grease will in a non sealed environment. That said, a high-temp grease tube will cost 2-3 times more than general purpose grease but unless you grease it regularly or are using large quanities it wont be that much of an issue.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote