Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

Ford EBC - trailer disconnect warning

During our last trip my truck started displaying a "TRAILER DISCONNECTED" message. The icon for the trailer in the Ford EBC would blink red. At first nothing seamed wrong, then I got a "TRAILER WIRING FAULT" message and lost trailer brakes. Shutting truck off reset the system, and I went through it again. I have gone through the brake system on the trailer. I show a good ground on ohm meter at all places in the system. The brakes engage and work fine until the message comes up.

If anyone with this system has run down this problem, what did you find?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

Could it be something as simple as a loose electrical plug??
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
Could it be something as simple as a loose electrical plug??
I should probably point out that I have gone through the simple stuff, like a loose plug. Plug seats nice and tight.

I replaced the crimp on connectors at the axles with soldered joints as well.

What I am really wondering is how many people with the Ford system were able to actually find a problem..vs it being something wrong with the EBC.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #4

My truck displayed that message once. Just the trl disconnect message. I just used some contact cleaner on the trl connection and the truck connection. That seemed to do the trick for me, been over a year since I did that.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I should probably point out that I have gone through the simple stuff, like a loose plug. Plug seats nice and tight.

What I am really wondering is how many people with the Ford system were able to actually find a problem..vs it being something wrong with the EBC.
With an intermittent problem as you describe I'd suspect the contacts in the plug. The only EBC's I heard of going bad don't work at all. You could go to the Ford dealer and using there scanner software (IDS/VCM II) they can test the controller in 2 minutes and tell you if the controller is bad or not.
Again, more than likely it's the plugs.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Only time I ever saw it on my old f250 was a loose connection.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #7

The plug looks fine...but looks are often deceiving. Is their a particular brand of plug that fits the ford best? I figure I will just replace the entire plug pigtail on the trailer side.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I got my eyes on this one for the trailer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BE...64J2H6HJHWN404

If you do change the female plug on the truck, remember it's a plug- and-play with the factory Ford harness.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002R...7+trailer+plug
Also make sure the plug terminals are clean where it plugs to the chassis harness.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

I had a similar issue on an old utility trailer and when I went to rewire it for another reason I discovered the ground wasn't sufficient on the trailer.

I haul the 16ft utility or the 37ft LaCrosse with no problems now.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I got my eyes on this one for the trailer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BE...64J2H6HJHWN404

If you do change the female plug on the truck, remember it's a plug- and-play with the factory Ford harness.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002R...7+trailer+plug
Also make sure the plug terminals are clean where it plugs to the chassis harness.
I went ahead and ordered the OEM one (it is made by Pollak) and a zinc end for the trailer wiring. Pretty inexpensive, not to much trouble to change those out.

Thanks for the idea.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've seen once where the pressure switch on the master cylinder was giving people fits.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:

What I found when my trailer diconnected light came on was the main wiring in the junction box of the fifth wheel hitch had bad crimps. I soldered all the wires and taped them and have not had an issue since. At the time of the message I did lose the brakes in the trailer.
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Anklam View Post

What I found when my trailer diconnected light came on was the main wiring in the junction box of the fifth wheel hitch had bad crimps. I soldered all the wires and taped them and have not had an issue since. At the time of the message I did lose the brakes in the trailer.
I just realized prior owner pulled a 5th wheel....wonder how it was wired before I got it...

Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

The fact that it shut down your brakes makes me think you have a short and the truck is protecting it's electronics.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #15

Had the same problem on my 2015 f 250. They had too replace the receptacle on the truck seems a wire inside the thing was loose from one of the pins and was a pain for them to find but after replacing the receptacle everything was good.
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
During our last trip my truck started displaying a "TRAILER DISCONNECTED" message. The icon for the trailer in the Ford EBC would blink red. At first nothing seamed wrong, then I got a "TRAILER WIRING FAULT" message and lost trailer brakes. Shutting truck off reset the system, and I went through it again. I have gone through the brake system on the trailer. I show a good ground on ohm meter at all places in the system. The brakes engage and work fine until the message comes up.

If anyone with this system has run down this problem, what did you find?
Try squirting a cleaning type lubricant into the area where the prongs go in. There was dirt in mine and it cleared that problem up for me.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #17

Could be plug contacts need to be cleaned. That said, I had the same problem and it ended up to be worn wire inside the axel. I replaced the brake wires, strapping them to the outside of the axel. Don't understand why Lippart runs them through the axel as your just inviting trouble.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
Happy Keystone Owner

After you check all the plugs and wiring the only thing left will be the truck's trailer control module. Mine has been replaced already but my problem was no 12v power.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #19

Re: Ford EBC - trailer disconnect warning

Last weekend following a successful but wet July 4th camping trip, I hooked up my 5th wheel to the TV. Completed all items on my checklist. Started driving out of the park. About 1/4 mile outside the park gate, I get a "Fault Wiring" indication with the trailer (Ford F-350 data display). I am in a tight spot on a country back road and can not pull over immediately, so I drive on for about another 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Find a little grass shoulder to pull onto, I stop. I now also have a "Trailer Disconnected" warning in the data display. Upon getting out of the truck, I see that my trailer wheels/brakes are smoking (no fire, just light smoke). I too checked the TV to Trailer umbilical - it appeared to check good but the "Trailer Disconnected" text is still showing. (wished I had a 7 Way Trailer Connector Vehicle Tester 7 Way Trailer Connector Vehicle Tester Tow Ready Wiring TR20117 ).
I then proceeded to check every fuse (in the truck) associated with the trailer and brakes. All checked good.

A good samaritan camper stopped and crawled all around and underneath the truck and trailer. We scratched our heads and came to a guessing conclusion that the electrical brakes associated with the trailer had either siezed or inadvertently employed. I walked back to the truck hitch area and saw that the emergency brake lanyard was still hanging down (appeared connected) from the pin box, but when I grabbed the lanyard, the lanyard pin fell out. Aha. Because the pin was not completely seated properly, the system showed the Trailer to be disconnected. Once I firmly reseated the pin into its receptacle, the caution..."Trailer Disconnected" disappeared and was replaced with "Trailer Connected". Problem solved in my case. Needless to say, I have modified my checklist to now read Visually and physically check that Emergency Brake Pin/Lanyard are firmly seated and TV data screen states "Trailer Connected".

The only other clue to your specific problem mentioned in the original post is something my dealer told me when I picked up my RV. He stated that an under charged battery may not provide the correct voltage to get correct readings such as the Ford truck warnings. This has not proven to be the case in my situation. Good luck in troubleshooting.
2015 Sanibel 3901
OK-3 Wire...Living the dream
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #20

I have had about 3 times trailer disconnected messages. 2 times the plug came loose the other time I took a small blade screwdriver and adjusted the blades in the plug and I was good to go. I might try to plug it into the OEM plug at the rear of the ruck rather than the inside fender well just to see what happens.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, trailer