Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Frame Rust

Purchased a 2016 Freedom Express Liberty Edition 281 RLDSLE May of 2016 from American River RV, 11 Quinta Ct. Sacramento, CA. We walked around with the rep on our pre-delivery inspection which things checked out good, but noticed a worker re painting the entry steps. Not thinking to much about re painting steps being this was our first ever buying an RV until a week after bringing it home I noticed a lot of Rust and salt on the frame while checking air in tires before our first camping trip. I immediately took photos of the Rust and went back to dealer and showed them and for them to rectify the Rust problem. The service manager told us to set up an appointment to bring it in and it would take two days for them to pressure wash it and repaint with under coating which we did.

Now, being first time buyers we thought this was the process with the dealer and when we went to pick it up (70 days later[emoji36]) I crawled under trailer and it looked good, so we hooked up and headed back to Tracy, CA. but about 60 miles down the road the right rear tire flew off trailer and damaged fender as well (they had to remove tires to paint but never torqued them[emoji36]). A frustrating call from me to Jerry the service manager to tell him that all five lug bolts sheared off and we waited 2 hrs for him to replace with new tire and fender.

After a week from bringing it back home in the rain I crawled under to check out the job they did again and I noticed that the undercoating paint had peeled off over majority of the frame revealing same rust that was initially there when we took it in for them to rectify. Now I'm really frustrated and sent this text to Jerry the service manager.

(This is Max. This is one pic out of many I took, Just about all of the under coating on frame came off that you guys did exposing all the rust that's still there. And the RV has not left the house since we brought it home from your shop that rainy day. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.)
Until this day he has never responded back AT ALL.

So, we emailed Forest River rep Steven Brandenberger back in Indiana picture's of the frame Rust. He said that it was transported to American River RV IN Sacramento CA. In December of 2015. After a few days Steve B. Emailed me again with this reply:

Good morning,
We have reviewed the photos you provided and have forwarded them to the frame and running gear manufacturer for their review. In their review, their opinion is that the rusting shown is due to road salts and other chemicals applied to snow covered roads as a number of the photos show evidence of salt residues. If these materials are not promptly removed from frames, running gear and other components by the dealer at the time the trailer is delivered to the dealership, they will very often create the conditions shown in your photos.
Unfortunately, failure to remove these chemicals and resulting rusting is not covered by our warranty.
We are sorry to hear of your situation, but hope the above information explains the cause of the conditions shown in your photos.

Steve Brandenberger

Remember, this is a brand new trailer.
Now, with no fix from Forest River and American River RV, we are stuck with a rusted frame which is pitted in most spots with no where to go. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505094085.854251.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	151159

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093607.169034.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	151148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093650.125270.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	151149Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093690.276151.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	151150Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093721.371627.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	151151Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093762.042254.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	151152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093795.322969.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	151153Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093863.971365.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	151155Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093905.877041.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	151156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093935.749484.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	151157Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505093969.449875.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	151158
Vimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Scoundrel

That's terrible. I can only imagine your frustration...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #3

Sad story often repeated with crappy dealerships... everyone is going to point fingers at each other, but it appears to me that the painted steps at delivery was the stealership trying to hide the fact that corrosion had already started to set in before delivery.

If you lived in the Midwest like I do, you would be used to the fact that driving in wintry conditions on the roads gives you salt corrosion. Probably the dealership, being in California did not even think about this happening... all that they knew was that they did not want to present you a new RV with corroded steps... something that you can see and be repulsed by.

Obviously they do not know what they are doing as evidenced by the fact your wheel fell off.

Personally I would write off the bad experience and not do any more business with this incompetent dealership and let your discontent with them be known.

Then do what you know is the correct thing to do and pressure wash, dry, sand off rust, wire wheel peeling paint and re-paint the undercarriage with spray paint and then undercoat with rubberized paint. I did this when my trailer was new, but it was not in bad shape. But I drive to FL from KY in January and I know I will see salted roads on the way down. From your photos it does not appear that anything is badly damaged by the surface rust that I see at this point... your careful observation may be different.

You will do the quality work that your dealership is not capable or interested in doing and you will come away with the satisfaction that you know it was done correctly.

A little elbow grease and all will be better!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Scoundrel

If the factory drove it through winter weather conditions to deliver it to the dealer in California I would think you have legal recourse.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

Eastwood sells a spray to neutralize the salt that's present then they sell a spray rust encapsulatent or you could paint with Por15. You are better off doing yourself then a dealer. You do it, you know its done and you can touch up as/if needed.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
clr

I had a mobile service detail guy do my 5th wheel when new. He has done many in our winter camp ground and does a great job. May be you can find a similar type mobile service guy to do the same for you. My unit lives for several months each winter next to the gulf of mexico and still looks great on the underside. But salt if very hard on campers and a constant battle if you travel near the salt water. I do have mine touched up every year or two.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Eastwood sells a spray to neutralize the salt that's present then they sell a spray rust encapsulatent or you could paint with Por15. You are better off doing yourself then a dealer. You do it, you know its done and you can touch up as/if needed.
I totally agree! Rust-o-leum also makes a terrific product called REFORM that will turn the rust black and convert it to an inert product. Living in the midwest I use this product a lot, it will take several cans and your ugly rust will be stopped and be a nice flat black. Believe me, it's worth doing this yourself with one of the products mentioned!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #8

I pressure washed it with Salt Away before we took it to the dealer to remove rust, ,then after Bringing it home and noticed the terrible job they did I attempt the fix on my own. I tried my best in removing rust with wire wheel and sanding, then applied some Corrolseal rust converter from Home Depot. But in spots where the rust already pitted the Corrolseal did not take. Also trailer is an enclosed belly and I'm afraid the rust traveled up frame above the enclosure. Being a first timer owning an RV I am hesitant in removing enclosure, it has screws with wide washers holding center sections of enclosure but i think it is glued closed around perimeter. It looks like it's more than a one man job. So, if I remove enclosure what product of glue do I use to reinstall?

Guy's, this is a big job for a newbe on a 32 ft trailer so any expertise out there is appreciated.
Vimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I totally agree! Rust-o-leum also makes a terrific product called REFORM that will turn the rust black and convert it to an inert product. Living in the midwest I use this product a lot, it will take several cans and your ugly rust will be stopped and be a nice flat black. Believe me, it's worth doing this yourself with one of the products mentioned!
There are a number of different Rust inhibitors on the market. When ever working with rust this is a must. Try getting as much rust off by wire brushing, sanding or what ever it takes then either spray on the Rust Inhibitor or brush it on. I have used both methods to put the Rust Inhibitor on. After the Rust Inhibitor dries then it can be painted, then undercoated. Take your time and it will last a long time. One thing about the rust inhibitor it will etch the metal and will allow the paint to stick to the metal better.
I completely agree with you about the rust inhibitor is a must to stopping rust.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #10

There is a product that I use and can not be any easier. Called Fertan Rust Converter. I spray it on, can be brushed. Best part, you don't have to scrape anything. Spray and forget. It gets wet, all the better because it gets reactivated and has capillary action, meaning it will flow into tight areas you can't reach. I use it on old cars in places you can't get to. You can paint over it after a while, just brush off anything loose and paint. Only thing I found is don't park on concrete when wet. If it drips on it, concrete will turn a dark brown. Just my 2 cents so you don't have to remove anything other then just spray and forget. It is used to derust subs!

Tags
frame