Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Todouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 849
Yeah these newer EPA compliant diesels don't do good with gas in the tank. They can trash your fuel supply system and cause some costly damage. I would look over on fte forum under the 6.4 tab. You will get a lot of advice and similar post you can view. Good luck
__________________

__________________
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #22
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Now that is a bummer for sure. I don't know about these new engines with all that EPA crap and all these other things that they make the Manufacturers do to these engines. But I remember the old ones. Had a diesel I drove back in the 60's in the army those would run on anything. Now a days they pass all these clean air acts and stuff and it just cost high dollars to fix anything on them. when I have to change the filters at every other oil change they charge me like $150.00 dollars to do it. It's only a pleated filter nothing special that I know of. And Miller since you work on these things what do you recommend for filter changes (fuel) I always ask to see them and they always look new to me. Are they ripping me off at the dealership or is that the correct way. I always add an additive when I fill up do I even need to do that? and dose it help, I guess it is for my injectors to keep them clean.
I would and do use, only oem. Ive heard gm filters are about $40-50, but I get them in the $20-30 range. On the 6.0 like yours there are 2 fuel filters. One under the hood and one under the drivers seat floorboard. And I want to say our cost was like $50-90 for the pair, don't remember exactly.
Expensive....yes, but wix filters are terrible and diesel fuel systems are not one area to skimp on. I over do it on mine and replace fuel and tranny filter (spin on) every 5-6k, which is about once every 10-12months on my truck.

On additives, we are told that you don't need them on newer diesels....but I use white bottle power service. Tried lucas about a month ago and didn't like it.


MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
__________________

__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Crusadernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 589
I also am a GM certified tech, I won't speak on behalf of GM, Ford, or Dodge, or VW, but I WILL tell you that with MANY new HPFP's (high pressure fuel pump) they can not take the slightest amount of non lubricating fuel run through them, the "old" ones, say 6-7 years ago, NO problems, a simple drain and fill, new filter and go. Now a days, it's a crap shoot, some get away with a drain and fill, and MOST will get a new HPFP, injectors, lines, filters, DROP, the tank and clean them, then they will run fine. My advice to anyone running a newer diesel is investigate the background of the HPFP currently on your vehicle! Know what HPFP you have and treat it accordingly, personally, I run a 2006 duramax, I and many others believe this is the best duramax on the market, it CAN handle the gas with just a simple drain and fill, my other diesel is a 2012 Jetta, it will grenade the whole fuel system if ANY contaminates get run through it, as many know $7-$8K later, and all new parts it's good to go. With that being said, I personally like to fuel at quick trip, 2 reason's, all new stations mean new tanks, and they currently have up to 5% bio blended, good lubricity. My duramax I don't use an additive, my jetta, faithfully EVERY tank, it's not worth the risk. Just my .02 worth, good luck to all with diesels and like I stated earlier, if you have contaminated a system of a newer diesel I would call your insurance company, they may surprise you. Just so everyone understands, back when they went to ULSD, simply put, they took out MOST of the lubricating components out of the diesel fuel, the US's standards for fuel, well, sucks!

For these reasons, just like my home, my 5er, my vehicles, and my daughters, no one "borrows" them!

I am the only one that will ever fuel my diesels.
__________________
2006 2500HD CCSB 2WD 2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
I also am a GM certified tech, I won't speak on behalf of GM, Ford, or Dodge, or VW, but I WILL tell you that with MANY new HPFP's (high pressure fuel pump) they can not take the slightest amount of non lubricating fuel run through them, the "old" ones, say 6-7 years ago, NO problems, a simple drain and fill, new filter and go. Now a days, it's a crap shoot, some get away with a drain and fill, and MOST will get a new HPFP, injectors, lines, filters, DROP, the tank and clean them, then they will run fine. My advice to anyone running a newer diesel is investigate the background of the HPFP currently on your vehicle! Know what HPFP you have and treat it accordingly, personally, I run a 2006 duramax, I and many others believe this is the best duramax on the market, it CAN handle the gas with just a simple drain and fill, my other diesel is a 2012 Jetta, it will grenade the whole fuel system if ANY contaminates get run through it, as many know $7-$8K later, and all new parts it's good to go. With that being said, I personally like to fuel at quick trip, 2 reason's, all new stations mean new tanks, and they currently have up to 5% bio blended, good lubricity. My duramax I don't use an additive, my jetta, faithfully EVERY tank, it's not worth the risk. Just my .02 worth, good luck to all with diesels and like I stated earlier, if you have contaminated a system of a newer diesel I would call your insurance company, they may surprise you. Just so everyone understands, back when they went to ULSD, simply put, they took out MOST of the lubricating components out of the diesel fuel, the US's standards for fuel, well, sucks!

For these reasons, just like my home, my 5er, my vehicles, and my daughters, no one "borrows" them!

I am the only one that will ever fuel my diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor126 View Post
Truck was drove about 10 miles,, it is at the dealer now,, 1/4 tank of diesel and the full tank of gas

Any idea how much you can cut ULSD before it stops lubing?
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
RKR
Senior Member
 
RKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 592
Not to jack the thread but since there seems to be several techs chiming in I have a question that I've never seen a consistent answer on.
I currently own an '11 2500 HD D/A. I'm going to pick up a '15 dually this year and was wondering if the Duramax requires or if it's best to break it before towing the 5er. I've been told it's not necessary and I've been told to put about 1K on it before towing. What your thoughts ?
This will be the last pickup for a very long time and I want to make it last.
__________________
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 631
A couple of years ago, while in w campground, there was a commotion in the lot next door during the night. In the morning saw a 5er and a ford TV. Later on I talked to tne new guy and he told me he was towed and then backed into the lot. He had filled up his diesel with gas because the hoses weren't labelled right and also filled up his 50 gallon aux. tank. His occupation was as a mechanic. So he got some containers and I loaned him a 5 gallon container and he drained his fuel tank. He then pulled the filter/filters and drained his fuel lines. He went and got some diesel fuel, put it in his main tank, got new filters, primed them up and then started the truck. He said it would run rough for a bit and then smooth out, which it did. He left for British Columbia the next day. I have no idea as to what happened or if anything happened after that.
__________________
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Not to jack the thread but since there seems to be several techs chiming in I have a question that I've never seen a consistent answer on.
I currently own an '11 2500 HD D/A. I'm going to pick up a '15 dually this year and was wondering if the Duramax requires or if it's best to break it before towing the 5er. I've been told it's not necessary and I've been told to put about 1K on it before towing. What your thoughts ?
This will be the last pickup for a very long time and I want to make it last.
If it were me I'd be doing the breaking in driving without and then with the trailer. With my D/A 2011 it was 500 miles without and then 5oo miles with the 5er. That way, driving on a highway at 50 mph I got to know the way the truck handled, without and then with the 5er. Besides it was a way to see the country side without being on a go fast highway.
__________________
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Crusadernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Any idea how much you can cut ULSD before it stops lubing?
I personally have had MANY duramax's brought to me full of gas, like I said before, you need to know which HPFP you are dealing with, as far as the new one's, if I owned one and let's say I had 1/4 tank of fuel and realized that I messed up and was currently at the pump and I pumped even 2 gallons of gas into it I would NOT run the engine! I also would not just top off with diesel and hope for the best! I would push the truck aside and start the tank draining process. If you think that would be a headache just imagine the situation of destroying your fuel system of let's say $8K. And days down in the shop, away on the dream vacation your wife always wanted and you spent years saving for it.
__________________
2006 2500HD CCSB 2WD 2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Crusadernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Not to jack the thread but since there seems to be several techs chiming in I have a question that I've never seen a consistent answer on.
I currently own an '11 2500 HD D/A. I'm going to pick up a '15 dually this year and was wondering if the Duramax requires or if it's best to break it before towing the 5er. I've been told it's not necessary and I've been told to put about 1K on it before towing. What your thoughts ?
This will be the last pickup for a very long time and I want to make it last.
I would suggest you read into the owners manual, GM doesn't want this to be the last truck you own, but they do want it to last as long as you want it.

Personally, the best thing for any engine is to run it, meaning I would not be afraid to tow with it, just don't go out with any new vehicle and set the cruise control, let it go down the interstate at 2,000 rpm steady for 3 hours. Work it, changing the load and rpm's a lot and it will last a LONG time. Good luck!
__________________
2006 2500HD CCSB 2WD 2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #30
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Not to jack the thread but since there seems to be several techs chiming in I have a question that I've never seen a consistent answer on.
I currently own an '11 2500 HD D/A. I'm going to pick up a '15 dually this year and was wondering if the Duramax requires or if it's best to break it before towing the 5er. I've been told it's not necessary and I've been told to put about 1K on it before towing. What your thoughts ?
This will be the last pickup for a very long time and I want to make it last.
I always defer to what the manufacturer says. Look in the owners manual.
I would probably not tow for about 500- 1000 miles if it was me, just cause. On the other hand, how many miles get put on semis before they tow?....a couple, maybe. You dont see these engines having to "seat the rings" like the old tractors use too, where you put a bottom plow on and take them to a field and work the fire out of it to seat it.

If manual states 500 miles, just to be safe do it! Just my opinion

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
__________________

__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, gas, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.